1. Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

I using Euphoria 4.0.5 and wxEuphoria using wxWidgets 2.8 I think I have to switch to some other GUI so I use two byte text characters without headache. Also I have to learn Euphoria 4.1? A lot of work already in 4.0.5. More headache to change? Please advice.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Euphoria 4.1 libraries contain many functions that you previously had to write yourself. The core language is the same. It shouldn't be very difficult to convert your existing code.

EuGTK uses UTF-8, and can display numerous languages with no problem. EuGTK runs on Windows and Linux, and is currently the most up-to-date GUI available for Euphoria.

Coding for EuGTK is very different from wxWidgets, but not difficult to learn.

Edit: I've just tested the following languages: english, spanish, danish, afrikaans, arabic, bengali, czech, welsh, finnish, greek, russian, chinese, japanese.

All work correctly on Linux, all except bengali work properly on Windows 10.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Bhupen1277 said...

Also I have to learn Euphoria 4.1? A lot of work already in 4.0.5. More headache to change?

You will not regret going to 4.1, even if there's a slight learning curve. The standard library is one of the main benefits, IMHO.

4. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Thanx for the advise. I see lot of sress on Linux in other discuss. I need to change to Linux, yes?

5. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Bhupen1277 said...

Thanx for the advise. I see lot of sress on Linux in other discuss. I need to change to Linux, yes?

My opinion, from using both for years, is that Linux is now the better platform for people who are interested in programming.

Linux comes with a much more complete set of tools - meaning editors, compilers, etc. and a much wider choice, so that you can choose the ones you like the most.

Windows now comes with almost no tools, not even a good text editor (when compared to those available for Linux).

You can use either, but I find that Windows is more awkward to use and less productive. Also, If you're going to be online, Linux offers more control of updates and less chance of getting a virus.

6. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

irv said...

My opinion, from using both for years, is that Linux is now the better platform for people who are interested in programming.

Linux comes with a much more complete set of tools - meaning editors, compilers, etc. and a much wider choice, so that you can choose the ones you like the most.

Windows now comes with almost no tools, not even a good text editor (when compared to those available for Linux).

You can use either, but I find that Windows is more awkward to use and less productive. Also, If you're going to be online, Linux offers more control of updates and less chance of getting a virus.

Thanx. Specially for using Euphoria 4.1, which Linux and which GUI. I am with Euphoria 4.0.5 and wxEuphoria now. I need migrate advise.

7. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Well, obviously EuGTK for the GUI, since GTK is native for Linux (and I wrote it:)

It's also cross-platform, usually you can run EuGTK programs on either without any changes except for file paths, if you're reading/writing files.

I prefer Mint Linux, it resembles older versions of Windows (up to Win 7) in look and feel. Some other distros - such as Ubuntu - have added too much "bling", just like Windows 10. They're trying to look like android apps on tablets/phones, and that makes them awkward to use on real computers.

If you use Mint, you'll find a Euphoria .deb file on the EuGTK page, which makes loading Eu 4.1 very simple and quick. Installing EuGTK is just a matter of opening the downloaded file and dragging the demo folder into your home folder.

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home

8. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

irv said...

Well, obviously EuGTK for the GUI, since GTK is native for Linux (and I wrote it:)

It's also cross-platform, usually you can run EuGTK programs on either without any changes except for file paths, if you're reading/writing files.

I prefer Mint Linux, it resembles older versions of Windows (up to Win 7) in look and feel. Some other distros - such as Ubuntu - have added too much "bling", just like Windows 10. They're trying to look like android apps on tablets/phones, and that makes them awkward to use on real computers.

If you use Mint, you'll find a Euphoria .deb file on the EuGTK page, which makes loading Eu 4.1 very simple and quick. Installing EuGTK is just a matter of opening the downloaded file and dragging the demo folder into your home folder.

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home

Thanx agian. I am getting close. Can I run the whole thing from a 32 GB USB? - Mint and Euphoria 4.1 and EuGTK and some simple programs with GUI?

9. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Anything is "possible". That doesn't mean practical.

Loading an entire OS from USB is going to be s.l.o.w. Running programs from USB also will be slow.

It's much better to just install Mint alongside Windows. Mint will defrag your Windows partition, add a Linux partition, and a boot menu. The defrag and repartitioning may take a while, depending upon how much space is available on your hard drive and how badly Windows has fragmented things.

Unlike Windows, the Linux installer is well designed and easy. Just boot from a DVD image, and click on the install icon.

10. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

Bhupen1277 said...

Thanx agian. I am getting close. Can I run the whole thing from a 32 GB USB? - Mint and Euphoria 4.1 and EuGTK and some simple programs with GUI?

Goto http://porteus.org/

• download a distribution; about 320 MB
  • download the development module to get C compiler

Porteus will run nicely from a USB. You can even run the entire Linux from ram.

The "Mate" version is a good starting point.

The development module is needed before you can install a deb (seems it contains the needed dependencies).

My next project will be to learn how to create an iso with everything pre-installed (but not quite soon).

_tom

11. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

irv said...

Anything is "possible". That doesn't mean practical.

Loading an entire OS from USB is going to be s.l.o.w. Running programs from USB also will be slow.

It's much better to just install Mint alongside Windows. Mint will defrag your Windows partition, add a Linux partition, and a boot menu. The defrag and repartitioning may take a while, depending upon how much space is available on your hard drive and how badly Windows has fragmented things.

Unlike Windows, the Linux installer is well designed and easy. Just boot from a DVD image, and click on the install icon.

I know Windows Partition. Now have two partitions - win 10 - 32 bit and win 10 - 64 bit. I can add another hard drive for Linux, bcoz in same drive, Linux take over. I dont like that. Separate small hard drive with Mint and Euphoria 4.1 and EUGTK and some programs for test.... OK?

12. Re: Version and GUI for 2 byte characters

_tom said...
Bhupen1277 said...

Goto http://porteus.org/

• download a distribution; about 320 MB
  • download the development module to get C compiler

Porteus will run nicely from a USB. You can even run the entire Linux from ram.

The "Mate" version is a good starting point.

The development module is needed before you can install a deb (seems it contains the needed dependencies).

My next project will be to learn how to create an iso with everything pre-installed (but not quite soon).

_tom

I can do what Irv say. And I also do what you say..... OK? See my reply to Irv.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu