1. Unconstant constant

I want to have the user select default values which will remain (after closing the program) until he elects to change them. It would be possible to save default values in a separate file which is read upon launching the program. Is there a simpler way?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Unconstant constant

alrobnett said...

I want to have the user select default values which will remain (after closing the program) until he elects to change them. It would be possible to save default values in a separate file which is read upon launching the program. Is there a simpler way?

Saving user preferences to a file (or the cloud, or whatever) is the only way to maintain those preferences from program run to program run.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Unconstant constant

Saving to a file (often called an .ini file - from Windows usage) is the only way.

There are, of course, several ways to do this. You could simply write out the values, in a certain order, and then read them back on startup.

I find it better to use named values, so that the file can be easily examined and even modified "by hand".

For example, if I need to save settings such as current file name, x position, y position, etc. I might write out a file that looks like the following, and save it as, let's say, x.ini

filename=test1.ex 
x_position=123 
y_position=567 

To read them in, here's a snippet of code to use:

include std/io.e 
include std/console.e 
include std/text.e 

object input = read_file("x.ini") 

input = keyvalues(input) 

display(input) 

Results:

{ 
  { 
    "filename", 
    "test1.ex" 
  }, 
  { 
    "x_position", 
    "123" 
  }, 
  { 
    "y_position", 
    "567" 
  } 
} 

You can easily see how you can retrieve the saved values by name from this input sequence.

-- hint: 
include std/search.e 

integer x = to_number(vlookup("x_position",input,1,2)) 

4. Re: Unconstant constant

If you're on Windows you could use the registry. Although technically that is just a really big file for a whole lot of settings.

If you're going to use a plain file (which is recommended) please play nice with the well-known locations for storing data.

On Windows it's %APPDATA%\Company\Application and on Linux it's $HOME/.config/company/application.

-Greg

5. Re: Unconstant constant

On phix I'd strongly recommend IupConfig

Otherwise, like that (APP_NAME option), I recommend constructing an appropriate filename from getenv("APPDATA") on windows, or getenv("HOME") on linux, rather than just plonking it in C:\Program Files, that is if you ever plan on letting anyone else install and run it, certainly on anything beyond a bog standard single-user home pc/laptop, otherwise you risk one day running into errors caused by permissions, active_directory, and/or reparse point handling (tip:don't ask).

6. Re: Unconstant constant

Thanks, to all. I now have what I need.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu