1. Where to Upload Files

If I remember correctly, the rapideuphoria site no longer accepts new files. Is there another location for users to upload files?

Also, if I remember correctly, rapideuphoria no longer supports searching by file name. Does the new file site allow this?

Thanks, Larry

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Where to Upload Files

Hi

On the face of it , it looks like this question has been ignored. It hasn't, it's just there isn't a definitive answer.

As you say, Rapideuphoria has become ropy now, the files are still there, but searching is restricted, and uploads no longer seem possible. There was some concern when it was noted, and the entire archive was downloaded for preservation. It can now be accessed at

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.rapideuphoria.com
https://archive.usingeuphoria.com/
http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

Only the last one allows uploads, but it is a bit fiddly. A lot of files on Pcan are still hosted on RDS, and the Pcan links point to them, see http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Catagory.Rds-hosted

I always thought that the RDS system of check by Rob or Junko before posting was also a bit of a faff.

What is needed (and I wish I had the skill set to implement this (or the time to learn how to do it)), is another tab at the top of this page, labelled 'Contributions' and on that tab will

1. show the categories available
  2. search the current archives on UsingEuphoria and Pcan
  3. allow an upload of a file to somewhere
  4. allow a link to be uploaded, pointing to where the user has stored their file offsite, but adding a description to the main search

That 'somewhere' would then become part of the searchable archive.

In my view, looking for the archives, just to search them, has become fiddly, and user contributions need to become part of the OpenEuphoria web site. Exploring user contributions is a major factor in learning a new language, and also allows people to see at a glance what it is capable of, and would be a valuable addition to the web site.

How about for now, adding a wiki tab with those links, and also allow users to add a wiki page that describes their baby, and points to where it can be downloaded from.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Where to Upload Files

I go back-and-forth on this in my head every time it comes up.

On one hand, I'm not sure how useful hosting our own contributions is any more, given then proliferation of user-content sites like GitHub, GitLab, and BitBucket.

But on the other hand, user contributions has always been inclusive part of the Euphoria community, so continuing that forward makes a lot of sense.

This will be on my feature list for the new website but it's not going to be top priority. Getting News, Forum, and Wiki in more manageable states comes first.

-Greg

4. Re: Where to Upload Files

ghaberek said...

On one hand, I'm not sure how useful hosting our own contributions is any more, given then proliferation of user-content sites like GitHub, GitLab, and BitBucket.

I agree. Host on a public site and tag it #OpenEuphoria or #Phix. Then, maybe, we can just post a link to a search of each archive with the tags.

5. Re: Where to Upload Files

I've been uploading my recently Euphoria works to my Github for now. Still I think the new Euphoria site whenever it comes should still have a section where programs made in Euphoria can be uploaded.

6. Re: Where to Upload Files

Hi

I agree that the archive is an integral part of Eu and the Eu community.

Cany shake the feeling that 'archive' is the wrong word for it though, and 'user contributions' is just too long.

The reason I say this is that I would like to request an additional tab on the top row to point to https://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Archive.wc

It's a start.

Cheers

Chris

7. Re: Where to Upload Files

If we do upload files, somewhere, is there a standard for line endings, i.e., should we use lf or crlf?

Larry

8. Re: Where to Upload Files

lgregg said...

If we do upload files, somewhere, is there a standard for line endings, i.e., should we use lf or crlf?

Larry

It does not matter.

Editors on Linux can convert transparently.

_tom

9. Re: Where to Upload Files

Hi Gerg (?)

Would it break the website if you did this?

<div id="menu"> 
			<ul> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/index.wc" 
				  								>Home</a> 
				</li> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/forum/index.wc" 
				  	class="active"				  		>Forum</a> 
				</li> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/wiki/view/home.wc" 
				  						  		>Wiki</a> 
				</li> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/docs" 
				  								>Manual</a> 
				</li> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/wiki/view/DownloadEuphoria.wc" 
				  						  		>Downloads</a> 
				</li> 
	         		<li> 
					<a href="/wiki/view/Archive.wc" 
				  						  		>User Contibutions</a> 
				</li> 

<li> 
					<a href="/recent.wc" 
				  						  		>Recent</a> 
				</li> 
				<li> 
					<a href="/ticket/index.wc" 
                  		                  		>Tickets</a> 
				</li> 
			</ul> 
		</div> 

Cheers

Chris

10. Re: Where to Upload Files

You are welcome to upload files to PCAN.

If you have any trouble following the instructions, ask here.

Uploading is a four-step process (still easier than making a cup of tea though, once you know how):
First open the createpage, read it, then edit/preview until you have a new/unique newpagename.
Second, create the new page, update author, date, description, and the [[(Attach:)file.ext]] part.
Thirdly, like step 1, edit/preview until you get a '?' next to the attachment link, indicating the filename is unique/unused as well.
Fourthly, save the page, if necessary rename your local copy of the upload file, click on the ?-attachment-link, and follow the prompts.
Don't be afraid of getting it wrong, please just avoid saying Y to "are you sure you want to delete"-type prompts, when you're not sure.
I can fix things if asked, and there is nothing to stop anyone else who also knows how from fixing things either.
Details and more all on that page (ie the instructions), where amongst other things you will also find "the password".

There should be no problem having two (or more) versions on a page, and if required one for OE and one for phix.
Of course, uploading a modified version can use the original page, and that way reduces to a two-step process.
If you only provide an OE version please add a [[!broken]] tag, and I'll see if I can get it to run on phix.

Pete

11. Re: Where to Upload Files

ChrisB said...

In my view, looking for the archives, just to search them, has become fiddly, and user contributions need to become part of the OpenEuphoria web site. Exploring user contributions is a major factor in learning a new language, and also allows people to see at a glance what it is capable of, and would be a valuable addition to the web site.

How about for now, adding a wiki tab with those links, and also allow users to add a wiki page that describes their baby, and points to where it can be downloaded from.

Agreed. An archive, by definition, would require that a copy of the code be maintained "locally" - i.e. not just a link to a webpage which might (and in the case of many of the entries on RDS site, did) disappear. Maintaining such an archive would be a lot of work.

From the contributor's standpoint, posting to an off-site location may be easier and more versatile. That's why people were doing it.

For the purpose of saving all the hard work done in the past, we need an actual archive.

However: much of the archived material isn't suitable for introducing new users to Euphoria. It may require considerable "tweaking", or only run on old computers, etc... That can be discouraging.

So new User Contributions should, I think, be a separate issue.

Free space is readily available (GitHub, google sites, google drive, etc.) for users to upload their work. Those allow more freedom to include images, documentation pages, etc. than the old archive could provide. Many times when browsing thru RDS' archives I wished there were screenshots of the programs - a picture is worth 1,000 words, I've been told.

Screenshots of "neat" programs are something that might attract new users.

My suggestion, therefore, is to create a new tab which would work like the forum, except that it would only contain posts announcing new user contributions and updates. That would make it easy to search, and announcements wouldn't be buried amongst other questions and discussions.

Could screenshots be allowed there?

12. Re: Where to Upload Files

irv said...

Many times when browsing thru RDS' archives I wished there were screenshots of the programs - a picture is worth 1,000 words, I've been told.

The RDS archive page comes from a bygone era when bandwidth was at a premium. I'd be willing to bet that most of those contributions were uploaded by users on dial-up.

irv said...

My suggestion, therefore, is to create a new tab which would work like the forum, except that it would only contain posts announcing new user contributions and updates.

Agreed. Given the traction this topic is seeing, I'll move this feature up a few notches on my to-do list for the new site.

I'm not really inclined to be updating much of the current site, though. Seems like all that work would just have to be redone later.

irv said...

Could screenshots be allowed there?

Irv, my friend, when I'm done you'll be able to post screenshots anywhere.

-Greg

13. Re: Where to Upload Files

Sounds like a plan. Link to old archive, and new user forum style contributions.

Cheers

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu