1. Installing WEE

Using Ubuntu (to which I am a green novice) and Euphoria 4.1.0 B2 on 64-bit Gateway:
The terminal command "~$ eui WEE/updater.ex"
Yields the result "Failed to open libcurl.so"

I suspect the problem is improper directory locations, but the Linux system prevents me from doing damage and also from finding our where things are.
I think Euphoria was installed in a directory hung off the root, which I cannot access.
I created a dir WEE from my allen@allen-SX2850 home dir and updater.ex resides in WEE.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Installing WEE

alrobnett said...

Using Ubuntu (to which I am a green novice) and Euphoria 4.1.0 B2 on 64-bit Gateway:
The terminal command "~$ eui WEE/updater.ex"
Yields the result "Failed to open libcurl.so"

I get the same message, and have checked that libcurl.so.3 exists (in /usr/lib/x86_64...) So, if you open updater.ex in your editor, scroll down to around line 80, and change the line:

libcurl = open_dll("libcurl.so") -- change to: 
libcurl = open_dll("libcurl.so.3") -- it should work. 
said...

I suspect the problem is improper directory locations, but the Linux system prevents me from doing damage and also from finding our where things are.
I think Euphoria was installed in a directory hung off the root, which I cannot access.
I created a dir WEE from my allen@allen-SX2850 home dir and updater.ex resides in WEE.

If you used my .deb, then the Euphoria executables are located in /usr/local/bin, the libraries are in /usr/local/include, and the Eu source (which you never need to see) is in /usr/local/source.

You can see these (but not change them without root permission) from your file browser - I forget which one comes with Ubuntu. There should not be any reason to access these or change them, provided eui works. Do you get the following when you type eui <enter> at a prompt?

Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   64-bit Linux, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: 2015-02-02 14:18:53, Id: 5861:57179171dbed 

ERROR: Must specify the file to be interpreted on the command line 

If so, then you should be good to go.
BTW: if you wish to see if Euphoria exists, and where, open a terminal and type
which eui <enter>

You should see: /usr/local/bin/eui

Same applies for other programs, for example: which firefox <enter>
/usr/bin/firefox

If you get a blank line in return, then the program isn't installed.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Installing WEE

Thanks for your replies, Irv, here and elsewhere. We are up in Santa Fe again today, I will try your suggestions this evening.

4. Re: Installing WEE

updater.ex contains the following code, which should have taken care of the problem unless failure does not return 0.

integer 
    libcurl = open_dll("libcurl.so") 
if libcurl = 0 then 
    libcurl = open_dll("libcurl.so.3") 
end if 
if libcurl = 0 then 
    libcurl = open_dll("libcurl.so.4") 
end if 
if libcurl = 0 then 
    puts(1, "Failed to open libcurl.so\n") 
    abort(1) 
end if 

Never-the-less, I tried changing to "libcurl.so.3" but got the identical error message, indicating that there is a different updater.ex file somewhere.
I did find a second one and changed it also, but still get the original error message, indicating that there is a third file somewhere, but I have not been able to find it. 'which updater.ex' returns nothing.

5. Re: Installing WEE

I can use 'Files/ Other Locations" to look at the root files. (It was not obvious to me).
I do not have 'libcurl.so' in usr/lib/x86_64-linus-gnu. There are 12 other files beginning 'lib...' but no 'libcurl' of any kind.

6. Re: Installing WEE

Well, that's easily fixed:

In a terminal, type sudo apt-get install libcurl3 <enter> supply your password when prompted.

That will download the library and install it without further attention on your part.

BTW, apt-get is the normal way to install and update programs, since it checks and automatically loads any necessary files. If you are already up to date, it will tell you so:

irv@irv-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install libcurl3 

Reading package lists... Done 
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done 
libcurl3 is already the newest version (7.47.0-1ubuntu2.11). 

7. Re: Installing WEE

I hope I'm not being too dense, Irv, but the basic name of the missing file is libcurl, yet you have written, "sudo apt-get install libcurl3"
How did you know to append the '3'?

8. Re: Installing WEE

alrobnett said...

I hope I'm not being too dense, Irv, but the basic name of the missing file is libcurl, yet you have written, "sudo apt-get install libcurl3"
How did you know to append the '3'?

There are a couple of ways to determine this. I'm not sure which software manager comes installed in Ubuntu. Mint has two, a very easy to use one: choose Software Manager under the Administration menu item. In Ubuntu, it may be named Ubuntu Software Center.

Search for libcurl.

A list of matches will be shown, and they're marked whether they are installed or not.

You'll note that some of the entries have some qualifier attached to the name, such as -dbg, and are described as "debugging symbols", or -doc, for documentation files, or perhaps -i386 for older computers.

You want the one without any qualifiers - usually the first on the list.

Click on the box next to libcurl3, and select "mark for installation". Then click the Apply icon near the top left. Follow the next dialog to install.

A much simpler way: in a terminal, type apt search <enter>, and look thru the list for a name which makes sense. Same qualifiers will show up in this list, and as above, aren't the ones you want.

Simplest way: ask here :)

BTW: all this may seem complicated, but you won't need to do this often, and generally it's pretty straightforward.

BTW2: Once you find the Software Center or Software Manager, it's the place to go to install stuff such as editors, games, etc. without sweat or problems! Very neat, even beats Windows!

BTW3: Another suggestion you're likely to get is to use Synaptic. I don't think that comes installed on Ubuntu. You could install it if you wish, but I don't recommend it.

BTW4: While exploring the Mint Software Manager, I was surprised to find that Eu 4.1.0 was there with a one-click install! Don't know if it is also available in Ubuntu's Software Center.

9. Re: Installing WEE

I have yet to find the ubuntu software center, but that probably is not urgent. Terminal commands are accomplishing what I need to do.

I am at a complete loss as to where to put various files, such that the Euphoria runtime can find them. This applies to both the executable file and the created data file that it creates: where should they be? It is easy to cram everything into Home, but that would get very messy. In fact, I apparently made some kind of mess by putting WEE in more than one place, perhaps as many as three.

The terminal command: eui wee causes an error message: "sh: 1: ifconfig: not found"
but opened wee anyway, with "New File".
After using Open within wee to bring up UCT.ex, further invocations of eui wee bring UCT.ex up automatically. Not expected, but understood.

I need to be sure that there is only one UCT.ex file, but the terminal command: find UCT.ex replies "No such directory or file". Again, I need to understand the file system better.

10. Re: Installing WEE

I guess the Administration Menu you referred to is called the Launcher in Ubuntu. On the launcher, selection of "Ubuntu Software" brings up an Internet store site with nine different categories to select from, but no search mechanism and no libcurl, as far as I can tell. They all appear to be apps created for specific purposes rather than library or include files.

11. Re: Installing WEE

alrobnett said...

I have yet to find the ubuntu software center, but that probably is not urgent. Terminal commands are accomplishing what I need to do.

It would be a good idea to spend some time getting familiar the programs on the menu. AFAIK, none of them are likely to do any damage if you click on them. This exercise will be helpful in the future.

said...

I am at a complete loss as to where to put various files, such that the Euphoria runtime can find them. This applies to both the executable file and the created data file that it creates: where should they be? It is easy to cram everything into Home, but that would get very messy. In fact, I apparently made some kind of mess by putting WEE in more than one place, perhaps as many as three.

My suggestion would be: do this from your file manager, not from the terminal, just because it's easier if you can SEE what's happening.

Your file manager should open in your home folder, with probably some folders shown inside. Right-click on an empty space (i.e. not on a folder), and choose the option "Create a new folder". Immediately a new folder will appear, with the name "Untitled Folder" I suspect. Right-click on this folder and select "Rename". Choose something that makes sense.

You should now be able to left-click (2 clicks probably) on that new folder and it will open, empty of contents.

Then you can use the file manager (open a new window) to drag your work file(s) into that folder. That will keep things neat. Both the data and the .ex can go in there.

said...

The terminal command: eui wee causes an error message: "sh: 1: ifconfig: not found"
but opened wee anyway, with "New File".

That's a warning that comes from EuGTK, it can be ignored. I had no idea that Ubuntu wouldn't include ifconfig, but it's only relevant if you write a program that needs to obtain your network or internet address. I'll try to find a more universal replacement in the future.

said...

After using Open within wee to bring up UCT.ex, further invocations of eui wee bring UCT.ex up automatically. Not expected, but understood.

WEE remembers the last 5 files you have edited. They are listed at the bottom when you open the File menu item. In addition, any tabs that are open when you exit WEE will be re-opened next time you run WEE.

said...

I need to be sure that there is only one UCT.ex file, but the terminal command: find UCT.ex replies "No such directory or file". Again, I need to understand the file system better.

You want locate - it recurses thru your home folder and its sub-folders:

irv@irv-desktop ~ $ find calendar.ex  
find: ‘calendar.ex’: No such file or directory 
irv@irv-desktop ~ $ locate calendar.ex 
/home/irv/demos/glade/calendar/calendar.ex 

Your file manager probably also has a find feature.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAipWgTb7WKD0VwUGPb7Nzpft94_Fk96/view

12. Re: Installing WEE

Thank you again, Irv.! I asked too many questions, and I would like to focus on one; Is there any trick to ensuring that the system can find all of the files necessary for a given job?

13. Re: Installing WEE

alrobnett said...

Thank you again, Irv.! I asked too many questions, and I would like to focus on one; Is there any trick to ensuring that the system can find all of the files necessary for a given job?

(One of the problems is we're using different distributions which come with different sets of programs. I wouldn't object to installing Ubuntu so that we can compare things step-by-step. Which version of Ubuntu are you using? 18.04 LTS? 18.10?)

Without knowing what the job is, the only way I know of is to run it!

That's why I stick to Euphoria. Once it's installed, it either works or gives you clear enough error messages to figure out what's wrong.

I'd start with some simple test programs to get familiar with using the editor and running Eu.

To test if eui is installed, type: which eui <enter>
it should reply with something like /usr/local/bin/eui
then write a small program that needs a Euphoria include file:

include std/console.e 
display("Hello World!\n") 

Save it as hello.ex and type: eui hello <enter> on the terminal. This will prove whether the eu std libraries are installed.

If these prove successful, then you're ready to go - but - if you were to begin by trying to run your old (longish) program, you'd never get anywhere, because there are a number of things in that program (no doubt) that must be changed or updated before you can expect success. You'll have to break it down into sections and decide which to keep and which must be replaced.

Changing from DOS to Windows or Linux is itself going to require some learning, as is upgrading from Eu 3 to 4. Have patience, and experiment.

14. Re: Installing WEE

I would not ask you to install Ubuntu for my benefit. I already hate to imagine what your bill should be. That said, I had to use Google to discover how to find out my version (I had it installed by the good folks who took care of some major upgrades to my desktop).
lsb_release -a reveals that the release is 18.04. The Description is Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.

I my not be as bad off as I appear to be. I have already done a lot of experimenting and my UCT.ex gets loaded by wee including the includes. From within wee, selecting Run/Start results in execution down to "trace(1)" in Main, beyond all the procedure definitions. At that point, I am not able to cause the program to step through. Two windows are now open, the wee editor showing my UCT.ex code, and the terminal showing lines 146 through 164. Pressing ENTER on the former simply modifies the code. Pressing ENTER on the latter simply results in echoing the pressed key in the terminal window below the displayed code.

15. Re: Installing WEE

No problem, it's only a 15-minute task to install Ubuntu, and I should run my EuGTK tests on it anyway. That will have to wait until tomorrow, however.

said...

Pressing ENTER on the latter simply results in echoing the pressed key in the terminal window below the displayed code.

That is not normal. Is it possible you have a wait_key() somewhere?

If not, I have two suggestions: first, try another terminal (under the WEE Run menu, Set Terminal Emulator). Hopefully there'll be more than one listed in the drop-down box. For me, x-terminal-emulator -e works best.

Suggestion 2: just open a terminal and run your program from there. You can trace in the usual way, just like when running DOS.

One of those two choices should work.

16. Re: Installing WEE

Well, I have installed Ubuntu, and now I can see why you're having troubles. Ubuntu has completely abandoned computer programmers. Not only is the interface awkward, but their Ubuntu Software installer has almost no programming tools or programming languages available. Ubuntu doesn't even come with gcc!

irv@irv-ubuntu:~/WEE-master$ euc wee 
Build directory: build-637336/ 
Translating code, pass: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  generating 
Compiling with GCC 
Compiling   1% init-.c 
sh: 1: gcc: not found 

So, when you get ready to compile your euphoria programs, that's what you'll get.

Compare Ubuntu's "Package Manager" offerings with Mint: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hxO2EXbOBz6HkHLz0ozoXS5W_tjLpFFx

Mint has plenty of those things already installed, the rest readily available.

My apologies. I'm sorry no one insisted that you get Mint when you first started on this project.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu