1. Installation instructions

I was advised to download the Beta 2 version of Euphoria for Linux. It seems that a "Debian package" includes everything necessary for automatic installation. There is no such package for the 64-bit Linux version. My download is a .tar.gz file. I vaguely remember seeing instructions for cmd line (terminal on Ubuntu, I think) for getting the .tar.gz file installed. I have not been able to find it again. I assume that Ubuntu needs to know which directory (folder?) to look into.
I do not expect forum members to hold my hand through this learning process, but perhaps you could point to appropriate instructions. So far, the Ubuntu "Getting Started" manual is not helpful for this question.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Installation instructions

I don't know why no one has created a .deb package for the latest Euphoria. I guess I will have to learn how :{

UPDATE see next message before going to all this work!

One way, which I have used several times, and as far as I can tell is completely safe:

On the Downloads page, under Beta for testing, you'll see a line that says A quick (~10 second) shell script for downloading....

Click that link, and download the .zip file. (2.4k)

Then, from your web browser or from your Downloads folder, double-click on the zip package with the insanely long name 2a4e993ab4....etc..

double-click again on the folder (also with a long name) that shows up. Inside will be a file named geuphoria.sh

Drag that small file into your home folder.

Open a terminal, type sudo sh geuphoria.sh install and hit <enter>. Supply your password.

That script (geuphoria.sh) will download and install Euphoria quickly.

Once that's done, type eui <enter> on the terminal:

Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   64-bit Linux, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: 2015-02-02 14:18:53, Id: 5861:57179171dbed 

ERROR: Must specify the file to be interpreted on the command line 

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Installation instructions

ADDED

If you're a trusting soul, I've made a .deb package which successfully installs Euphoria 4.1b2 on my pc. It's 8.8 megs.

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/euphoria_4.1-0.deb?attredirects=0&d=1

Guarantees are impossible, but I don't see how it can do much harm. What it does not do, is supply all the piddly details that Debian would require if they made it part of their package management system.

4. Re: Installation instructions

Thanks a million, Irv. I am at a Christmas party in Santa Fe now, but I will certainly use your deb when I get back to ABQ. Allen

5. Re: Installation instructions

A quick question, Irv. Does it matter what directory I put your deb file in? Should I just leave it in downloads?

6. Re: Installation instructions

No, once the deb file is run, you can delete it if you wish - euphoria will be installed in your usr/local directories.

Also, I found one error in the install package, which causes trouble when compiling (using euc), which I have fixed. It will take a few minutes to upload the fixed version.

Have fun!

7. Re: Installation instructions

I managed to narrow down a manual install to the following commands:

# download 
wget "http://sourceforge.net/projects/rapideuphoria/files/Euphoria/4.1.0-beta2/euphoria-4.1.0-Linux-x64-57179171dbed.tar.gz" -O /tmp/euphoria41.tgz 

# extract 
sudo tar xzf /tmp/euphoria41.tgz -C /usr/local/ 
sudo chown -R root:root /usr/local/euphoria-4.1.0-Linux-x64 

# link 
cd /usr/local/bin/ 
sudo find /usr/local/euphoria-4.1.0-Linux-x64/bin/ -type f -executable -exec ln -s {} \; 

For those interested, I had originally posted a version of this here: https://github.com/OpenEuphoria/euphoria-mvc/

-Greg

8. Re: Installation instructions

Question:

Would it not be a good idea (after some people test it) to add the .deb installer to the sourceforge repository? It's certainly more user-friendly than the alternatives. If so, who's in charge of that?

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/euphoria_4.1-0.deb?attredirects=0&d=1

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu