1. Recommended editor for Euphoria

I am now the 84-year-old owner of a partitioned Ubuntu/Windows10 SSD. I have no real complaint with ed, but with my new Unix based platform, what editor should I download? Edx has been recommended, and I have yet to find and try it. My needs are simple. Since 1990, I am no longer a programmer by trade, and see no reason to look beyond Euphoria for my needs.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

try WEE https://github.com/peberlein/WEE

sometimes I also use Geany

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

Tom, I downloaded the WEE zip and note that the README says it requires 4.1.0 Beta. I am using 4.0.5., Allen

4. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

Even though oE 4.1 is "beta" in reality we all use it. (It has just a few niggles.)

So try Geany for now.

You can also try Phix. http://phix.x10.mx/download.php

Both oE and Phix are based on the original Euphoria ideas. I like promoting both, the more Euphoria the better.

_tom

5. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

alrobnett said...

Tom, I downloaded the WEE zip and note that the README says it requires 4.1.0 Beta. I am using 4.0.5., Allen

Install 4.1.0 Beta and use WEE. You'll think you have died and gone to heaven. Context Sensitive help that cannot be beat. Integrated everything.

Regards,
Ken Rhodes

6. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

Hi

Editor Wars eh,

Personally I use Kate in Linux, and editplus or edita on Windows, whichever takes me fancy.

Play with them all, use whatever you feel best fits you.

Chris

7. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

double post - sorry

8. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

Being new at this, you'll really appreciate an editor that gives you as much help as possible.

Personally, I rate in order of importance: Euphoria-specific color coding, quick access to the Euphoria docs, and for the long programs I write, pop-up lists of functions (so I don't have to scroll up and down trying to find that function that needs attention).

Ease of use is also important, and almost any GUI editor beats a text-mode editor hands down in that regard. Being able to choose a font in the size and style that's most readable for you, having the commands available as menu items so you don't have to memorize key-combinations, and many other things make a big difference. Even if you're writing a program that will run in text mode!

On these points, WEE rates highest. And do not fear Eu 4.1 ~ the only actual bug I have found involves using the switch function with the switch value being a function call: e.g.:

switch sin(x) do -- this can cause problems! 

Such a thing should be rare indeed, and is easily avoided.

As for other editors, Geany, gedit, xed, etc. can be made to work, and I use them at times, but there are a couple of extra steps needed to set them up for Euphoria. Documentation and the required files are part of my EuGTK package, in the resources folder.

(EuGTK comes with two editors - both have Eu color coding and can test-run programs by clicking a button. One is also very good for viewing & editing html pages)

9. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

I use Kate on Linux Mint. I believe the Euphoria syntax highlighting is included by default.

-Greg

10. Re: Recommended editor for Euphoria

Geany.

There is one configuration file here (this file will create a new Euphoria entry in the set filetype menu). The other one you can find in the EuGTK download package (this one will replace Lua configuration file). They use different color schemes. There is one problem with both files - code folding doesn't work properly and it's simply better to disable it in Geany settings.The file included with EuGTK displays function names in the side panel, but I don't remember how was it with the file from the wiki.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu