1. DOS on 64-bit Windows 10

I believe I downloaded Euphoria 3.x (Not 4.x). My Windows 10 System is 64-bit. I need to run a Euphoria program in DOS, and understand that it must run on a 32-bit system. It appears that vDos can simulate a 32-bit system while running on a 64-bit system. Is this an appropriate solution for my problem?

The Euphoria editor, "Ed" runs on my 64-bit computer with no problem. Is this indicative of anything?

Allen

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: DOS on 64-bit Windows 10

Hi Allen

A complete topic in itself.

It's 16 bit programs running on 64 bit systems that's the issue.

if ed runs, all I would suggest is try it, see what happens and report back. I would use DOSBox myself, and have had success with it.

Incidentally, eu 3.11 setup needs to be run under windows, does a dos only version still exist anywhare?

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: DOS on 64-bit Windows 10

Sounds like you need dos_rescue, which you can get from http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage&action=search&q=rescue+pringle

4. Re: DOS on 64-bit Windows 10

Much as I dislike Windows, it does have good support for 32-bit apps. Even old Eu 2.2 programs run fine in a cmd.exe terminal "window" on my new Windows 10, 64-bit computer.

What's not going to work are some very old programs (mostly "DOS graphics" demos or games).

In addition, if you have access to the Euphoria source code, it's usually fairly easy to update programs to run on Eu 4.1. That's what I would recommend if you have a program which you will be using regularly.

5. Re: DOS on 64-bit Windows 10

Thanks ChrisB, Petelomax, and Irv

Allen

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu