1. [crude benchmark] Julia from MIT

Julia 1.0 is the "flavour of the month" from MIT for technical computing.

Julia has OE style 'one' subscripting and reasonable syntax. If I had a parallel super-computer and numbers to crunch it would be ideal. It has horrible startup time which makes it annoying for general computing.

Using crude benchmarking by calculating fibonacci( 20 ) ten times on my i5 netbook. I'm calling each interpreter using system_exec) and timing in OE. I do not claim more than one digit accuracy in the results.

language time in seconds
eui 0.1
euc 0.02
p 0.07
p -c 0.03
luajit 0.02
julia 2.2

On my atom netbook I could only get Julia 0.45 to load (because I could not get updated .so files) The Julia benchmark took seventeen seconds!

We have shown that with a good algorithm luajit can be very fast in calculating digits of pi. We have also discovered that a bad algorithm causes luajit to stutter when Euphoria keeps going.

Conclusion. MIT should have examined OE | Phix before millions of dollars was spend in developing their new language.

Just a retort to those who worry about the pace of Euphoria development.

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [crude benchmark] Julia from MIT

_tom said...

MIT should have examined OE | Phix before millions of dollars was spend in developing their new language.

Nicely done, tom! That's good data.

I've been thinking of following up my prior post with a new post about the future of OpenEuphoria/Phix.

Sounds like it's a good time for that... smile

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu