1. Something Odd and Interesting

In EuGTK, there is a graphics demo: test188.ex, which involves dropping cows into a field. (Don't ask:)

When I run this, along with a system monitor, I can get 149 cows browsing happily around, and the 4 cpu's share the load more or less equally, none being loaded more than 50% or so.

Then, adding 1 more cow, all the load goes to one cpu, which is maxed out at 100%, and things grind to a halt.

Anybody want to try this and see if they get similar results? And anybody want to hazard a guess as to why this is?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Something Odd and Interesting

irv said...

Anybody want to try this and see if they get similar results?

Hey, irv,

I tried this, but I get a blank canvas on Windows 8.1.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Something Odd and Interesting

euphoric said...
irv said...

Anybody want to try this and see if they get similar results?

Hey, irv,

I tried this, but I get a blank canvas on Windows 8.1.

I only have Win 7, which works fine, except that just like on Linux, the 150th cow seems too much to handle, and everything stops. I guess that rules out the OS, so it's either Euphoria, GTK, or EuGTK. Strange, since I don't think Euphoria has any control over which CPUs to use, and I'm sure EuGTK doesn't either.

4. Re: Something Odd and Interesting

I tried demo 188 on my system and somewhere around 152 the cows quit bailing out but the counter continued to increment wit each mouse click. Also, pausing the mouse arrow caused a tiny portion of a file and edit menu to appear with something that looked like a black scroll bar. Then disappear with mouse movement and reappear when the mouse was paused again. When I closed WEE it evidently displayed the top left portion of my browser menu. Minimizing my browser resulted in kind of a blank tab showing displaying my browser, or WEE again results in the tiny display of the very top bar menu showing File and edit.

Very Strange indeed!

Regards, Ken

5. Re: Something Odd and Interesting (Solved)

I was resetting the timer each time a cow was added. There is apparently a limit in GTK as to how many timers you can have in one program. Removing the reset lines:

timer = 0 
cowspeed -= 1 -- adjust timer to trigger faster the more cows; 

solved the problem. Now I can get more than 850 without a problem (except for a tired finger from clicking the mouse). And the CPU's continue to share the load.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu