1. Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

Greg, followed your usingEuphoria.com installing Euphoria on Linux tutorial, and I'm hitting this error:

groot@vps5101520 [~]# eui -v 
eui: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by eui) 
eui: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by eui) 
eui: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by eui) 

Maybe you could add a resolution to a "Troubleshooting" section? grin

Thanks!

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...

Greg, followed your usingEuphoria.com installing Euphoria on Linux tutorial, and I'm hitting this error:

Gross. What distro and Euphoria version are you running?

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

Gross. What distro and Euphoria version are you running?

CentOS release 6.9 (final) Euphoria 4.1.0 (64-bit)

4. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...

CentOS release 6.9 (final)

Oh boy. Looks like that has glibc 2.12. Yuck. You can probably build from source to get it working.

I can do it but I need to build a CentOS 6 machine first. Might not get be able to get to that for a couple days.

-Greg

5. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

This is Linux when you compile with a newer glib version and try to use the binary on another system with an older glibc. If you translate to c source on the newer one and compile on the older one you would get a binary that works on both.

6. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

CentOS release 6.9 (final)

Oh boy. Looks like that has glibc 2.12. Yuck. You can probably build from source to get it working.

Should I upgrade my CentOS? I wonder if I can do that.

7. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...

You cannot as the project does not support that. Nor should you. CentOS 7 uses systemd and, while its merits may be debated elsewhere, that can create undue troubles if you're not ready to learn its ways.

-Greg

8. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

You cannot as the project does not support that. Nor should you. CentOS 7 uses systemd and, while its merits may be debated elsewhere, that can create undue troubles if you're not ready to learn its ways.

I meant the version on my web host. You're saying don't do it?

Oh, you mean the GLIB project?

9. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...

I meant the version on my web host. You're saying don't do it?

I'm saying that if you're not used to CentOS 7, be prepared for things to work differently. systemctl instead of service, firewalld instead of iptables, etc.

If you're working from an effectively blank web host, then go for it. Euphoria 4.1 will work out of the box. I'll gladly answer any CentOS 7 questions you might have.

-Greg

10. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

ghaberek said...

If you're working from an effectively blank web host, then go for it. Euphoria 4.1 will work out of the box. I'll gladly answer any CentOS 7 questions you might have.

Do you think it would help if I asked my web host to install GLIB C onto my server?

11. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...

Confusingly, GLIB and glibc are unrelated projects.

Note: it's already glibc and never GLIB C - in fact it'd be more accurate to call it G LIBC.

euphoric said...
ghaberek said...

Do you think it would help if I asked my web host to install GLIB C onto my server?

Asking your host to upgrade glibc to 2.15 or higher would certainly fix the issue. This isn't supported by Red Hat afaik however. Unless your web host is full of gurus it's unlikely they'd have the skills to compile glibc from source and create a deployable package.

Still, doesn't hurt to ask.

12. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

You cannot as the project does not support that.

Actually at my former workplace I had to upgrade an existing system from CentOS 5 to CentOS 7.The CentOS 5 system also already had lots of customized packages installed, so... it was an adventure, to say the list.

It can be done successfully, but I understand why they don't want to support it. :(

13. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

jimcbrown said...

Asking your host to upgrade glibc to 2.15 or higher would certainly fix the issue. This isn't supported by Red Hat afaik however. Unless your web host is full of gurus it's unlikely they'd have the skills to compile glibc from source and create a deployable package.

Wow! So... then... should I find another host if I want to use Euphoria to serve web content?

14. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...

Wow! So... then... should I find another host if I want to use Euphoria to serve web content?

Your host can probably provide you with a new container based on CentOS 7. As long as you're not asking for an "upgrade" but just a clean new container, there should be no problem.

15. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...

That's a pain. This GLIBC problem is probably enough to make Linux Torvalds say "hang yourself now" to the glibc devs.

Basically I have two ideas for you:

Method 1

On a Linux system with Euphoria already installed and working. In the Euphoria source directory, update to the desired version of Euphoria, and run "./configure && make source" [CORRECTED use "make source" not "make eusource"] and put the created build directory created into a tar ball. Then, go to the target system and get the regular Euphoria sources with Mercurial. After that, and checkout the desired version of Euphoria, compile from the source using the without-euphoria option to configure. Like this "./configure --without-euphoria && make interpreter"

Method 2

Install Euphoria 4.0.0, to your Cent/OS system. I compiled that with Slackware a long time ago. Install that. You can then build the newest head sources with 4.0.0.

16. Re: Installing Euphoria in Linux Issue

I tried translating Euphoria 4.1 on 32-bit Linux with itself for 64-bit Linux to C. I then put the translated C source on a VPS host and tried to compile the C sources and I got an interpreter. But the interpreter crashes with a "segmentation fault" violation for every program it ran. To make matters worse, gdb doesn't show me any line information when I go to debug the interpreter itself even though I ran configure with the '--debug' option on the VPS host before compiling.

The SEGV signal is received while running the translated version of the routine my_sscanf. On my home system such a problem would be easy to find, as I would open gdb and it would show me the very line of code where the SEGV takes place. Not so on this VPS.

I tried to go the route of just taking a compiled binary and got a similar error to what you got Chris: "GLIB 2.15 not found".

Maybe these systems are just too out of date. For the benefit of those who are newer, this shouldn't happen (barring std/machine.e calls) with a translated Euphoria program. Even rebuilding an older released 4.1 version gives me an interpreter that SEGVs. I am just resigned to the idea that this VPS cannot do 4.1.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu