1. Roadmap proposal

Here's my proposal for how to move forward. These are my thoughts so far. I'll probably add more to this.

Release version 4.1

We fix up the build process (I believe I have it figured out on Windows) and ship as-is with the major "new feature" being 64-bit and ARM compatibility.

To expedite the process, I propose we only release on Windows (32/64) and Linux (32/64/ARM) and only via zip/tar files. Include directions for installing on each platform. Cutting out installers and DEB/RPM should help move this along.

I can work on doing this part. Sadly, I may be the only one here sufficiently equipped to do it.

Rewrite the website

Like it or not, we now live in a "post Web 2.0" world where DevOps is the lingua franca. You want to attract new talent to Euphoria? Show them how to do what they're doing better than how they can do it now.

Let's find all of the Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and .NET Core projects and beat them at their own game.

We'll rewrite the website to really leverage how well Euphoria can help with the rapid development of a project. I'm talking about an MVC framework with a template engine and proper separation of concerns.

I am already working on the basic framework for this. It's coming along slowly. I won't be able to do this alone. Volunteers needed!

Move to git and GitHub

For the next release, we start moving to GitHub. You don't really exist as an open-source project nowadays if you're not on GitHub.

GitHub provides an intangible social aspect that I haven't found on other sites like BitBucket or GitLab.

It's a matter of going where the talent is instead of trying to bring the talent here.

Implement new features

Start implementing or merging features for 4.2, like the struct branch and my jsmn branch, update PCRE, implement cURL, etc.

Work on a new backend for 5.0 so Euphoria completely self-hosted like Phix. Personally, I propose we look to LLVM for this, but that's merely a suggestion.

I have no idea who'll be working on this. Maybe we'll have some more talent by then.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Roadmap proposal

Sounds great, Greg!

I look forward to helping and testing when I can.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Roadmap proposal

Not just zip/tar; "Mollusk"s geuphoria.sh is small, works very quickly, and is easily updated if there are changes. Very usable by a newbie.

4. Re: Roadmap proposal

Hi Greg

That's a good proposal set.

Hi Irv

What's that?

Chris

5. Re: Roadmap proposal

ChrisB said...

What's that?

http://openeuphoria.org/pastey/288.wc

irv said...

Not just zip/tar; "Mollusk"s geuphoria.sh is small, works very quickly, and is easily updated if there are changes. Very usable by a newbie.

Eh. It gets the job done but I don't like the methods used there. I don't want to encourage bad behavior.

If an installer script is what we want, an installer script is what we will provide.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu