1. Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

Has anybody attempted working with Euphoria code in Visual Studio Code (Microsoft's free code editor)? I was turned onto Code when I began developing in Node.js, and it is an awesome editor. I would love to see it accommodate Euphoria code, or to see one of the current Euphoria editors get some of the functionality of Code.

A forum search doesn't produce many results. I guess I should check the archive, too. But, here's a good place to start a dialog about it. grin

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

euphoric said...

I would love to see it accommodate Euphoria code...

Me too grin

Regards

kinz

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

Searching for "Visual Studio" in the RDS archive you will find:

WIN	Edit Euphoria Files with DevStudio	88K	Tone Skoda	Mar 4/08 

Support for Euphoria in Microsoft Developer's Studio. Syntax coloring, registry setup, run .ex 
and .exw files, see Euphoria routines in current document in DevStudio, go to error file and 
line when you press button. Mar 4: Uploaded to RDS site 
The zip file downloads. I tried it some years ago, but gave up. (I have forgotten why or what my experience was.) VS has moved on a lot in 10 years, too, but why not try it and report back.

4. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

dr_can said...

Searching for "Visual Studio" in the RDS archive you will find:

WIN	Edit Euphoria Files with DevStudio	88K	Tone Skoda	Mar 4/08 

Support for Euphoria in Microsoft Developer's Studio. Syntax coloring, registry setup, run .ex 
and .exw files, see Euphoria routines in current document in DevStudio, go to error file and 
line when you press button. Mar 4: Uploaded to RDS site 
The zip file downloads. I tried it some years ago, but gave up. (I have forgotten why or what my experience was.) VS has moved on a lot in 10 years, too, but why not try it and report back.

I'll give it a try, though the MS Visual Code product is a far different beast than that old Visual Studio.

5. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

You can add basic language support by writing a custom TextMate file.

To extend the support further, you'd need to write what's called a language service.

This could actually be Euphoria application that runs and accepts an HTTP-like protocol (really more like JSON-RPC).

Read more here: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/overview

Docs said...

Q: Can I contribute my own language service?

A: Yes you can! Check out the example language server in the VS Code Extension Authoring documentation.

Q: What if I don't want to create a full language service, can I reuse existing TextMate bundles?

A: Yes, you can also add support for your favorite language through TextMate colorizers. See Themes, Snippets, and Colorizers topic in the Extension Authoring section to learn how to integrate TextMate .tmLanguage syntax files into VS Code.

I personally do not like Visual Studio Code. I don't like things like Atom or other Electron-based applications.

-Greg

6. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

ghaberek said...

You can add basic language support by writing a custom TextMate file.

Read more here: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/overview

Sweet! I'll see what I can do.

ghaberek said...

I personally do not like Visual Studio Code. I don't like things like Atom or other Electron-based applications.

Why? Do you like Sublime?

I started with Sublime. Then, I switched to Atom. It was so slow! Then I heard that VSC was fast, so I tried it.

VSC is the best code editor I've ever used. If I could replicate some of that functionality in, say, Notepad++ or Edita, I would use those. But I can't, so I don't.

VSC is just so nice and easy to work with. I wish we could customize it for use with Euphoria.

7. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

"Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled.[20] The data is shared among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries and with law enforcement per the privacy statement.[21]" - WikiPedia

No thanks. I can see where there would be interest in my shopping habits, but exactly how are my coding habits going to be of value to "affiliates" and "law enforcement"?? More MS overreach, I think.

8. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

euphoric said...

Why?

Good question. I don't know how to answer that specifically. I guess just don't like the look-and-feel.

euphoric said...

Do you like Sublime?

Nope. Same problem. Also it's like $80 so screw that noise. I think I'd consider it if it were half the price.

euphoric said...

I started with Sublime. Then, I switched to Atom. It was so slow! Then I heard that VSC was fast, so I tried it.

VSC is the best code editor I've ever used. If I could replicate some of that functionality in, say, Notepad++ or Edita, I would use those. But I can't, so I don't.

VSC is just so nice and easy to work with. I wish we could customize it for use with Euphoria.

What I really want is something very similar to Notepad++ but cross-platform. I really just need a good syntax-highlighting editor with basic "Run this file" functionality.

I get that with Notepad++ on Windows but I've not been satisfied with any of my choices so far on Linux. I've tried Geany, Kate, and several others.

-Greg

9. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

irv said...

"Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled.[20] The data is shared among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries and with law enforcement per the privacy statement.[21]" - WikiPedia

No thanks. I can see where there would be interest in my shopping habits, but exactly how are my coding habits going to be of value to "affiliates" and "law enforcement"?? More MS overreach, I think.

You can disable that pretty easily, but this being Microsoft, of course they include it by default.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/supporting/faq#_how-to-disable-telemetry-reporting

-Greg

10. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

ghaberek said...

You can disable that pretty easily, but this being Microsoft, of course they include it by default.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/supporting/faq#_how-to-disable-telemetry-reporting

-Greg

At least, they want you to think it's disabled. However, reading further:

"Note: VS Code gives you the option to install Microsoft and third party extensions. These extensions may be collecting their own usage data and are not controlled by the telemetry.enableTelemetry setting."

But back on topic, what is it about VS Code that makes it so good? I tried it, and it didn't do anything that interested me.

11. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

irv said...

At least, they want you to think it's disabled. However, reading further:

"Note: VS Code gives you the option to install Microsoft and third party extensions. These extensions may be collecting their own usage data and are not controlled by the telemetry.enableTelemetry setting."

Well, yeah. But that could be said about any product that supports third-party plugins. We live in a scary world, Irv.

irv said...

But back on topic, what is it about VS Code that makes it so good? I tried it, and it didn't do anything that interested me.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/whyvscode

https://media.giphy.com/media/anB3cor0tgFX2/giphy.gif

-Greg

12. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

irv said...

I guess it's just the way it lets me work on my code. Like I said, I originally got it because I was working on Node.js and PHP code, and wanted an editor with integrated capabilities syntax highlighting, etc. and useful for projects with large source directories. If you've ever worked with Node.js, you know the source directory can get huge once you start installing modules.

I got used to the way it works. For example, Ctrl+p let's you use "fuzzy search" to open a document from the project tree you're currently using. This might not seem like a big deal on small projects with one directory of source, but my projects had multiple directories with multiple similarly-named files. I could hit Ctrl+p, starting typing letters in the name, and pick it out from the list. This is far better (faster and easier) than "File>Open" in any other editor. (I think Sublime and Atom might have the same functionality; not sure.)

Of course, it has "IntelliSense," which recognizes function and procedure names, as well as variables, so it can auto-complete these if you want. Very nice!

It has, in my experience, been the editor that lets me code faster and more efficiently than any other.

Now, this functionality could probably easily be added to Wee or Edita or Edix, and I look forward to that day... But, for now, MS VSC is just the best (for me).

13. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

Yes, this is all personal preference, of course.

Many of the things, such as auto-complete, that other people find helpful just get in my way, and slow down my work.

Anyone remember "Clippy"?

One thing that I might find occasionally helpful would be a sidebar with all files in a given directory (perhaps just all *.e* files). I think I can add that to WEE without much difficulty, at least for the Linux version. Maybe I will include that with the next EuGTK release.

14. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

irv said...

One thing that I might find occasionally helpful would be a sidebar with all files in a given directory (perhaps just all *.e* files). I think I can add that to WEE without much difficulty, at least for the Linux version. Maybe I will include that with the next EuGTK release.

Yes, Irv, that would be a very nice add-on feature for WEE.

But now you have piqued my curiosity - do you contemplate another EuGTK release within the next several months?

Thanks again for your many fine contributions to the Euphoria community.

Regards, Ken Rhodes

15. Re: Using MS Visual Studio Code with Euphoria

Senator said...
irv said...

Yes, Irv, that would be a very nice add-on feature for WEE.

But now you have piqued my curiosity - do you contemplate another EuGTK release within the next several months?

Thanks again for your many fine contributions to the Euphoria community.

Regards, Ken Rhodes

Here's the outlook for EuGTK: GTK3 has reached the stage where (AFAIK) no major new abilities (read: no new 'widgets') are going to be added. EuGTK has been keeping up with GTK3 progress, so no new updates are required, unless I find a bug which can't be worked around. If you know of something that needs to be done, please let me know, I've gotten almost no feedback so far.

From reading the preliminary docs for GTK4, I think EuGTK will work with GTK4 as well, with some ifdefs added. (Most changes seem to be internal code restructuring in GTK to make it more efficient.)

I'll try adding a sidebar to the WEE editor interface, that shouldn't require any change to EuGTK itself. What other functions should I try to add?

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu