1. wiki web hit counter

Is it possible to add a hit counter to an eu wiki page?

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: wiki web hit counter

Ok, so the answer to this looks like no, how about embedding html in a page then?

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: wiki web hit counter

ChrisB said...

ChrisB said...

Ok, so the answer to this looks like no, how about embedding html in a page then?

I don't think the answer to these questions is "no," per se. It's certainly possible to implement these features.

I think it's just that no one is actively maintaining the euweb code right now. Contributions are always welcome.

-Greg

4. Re: wiki web hit counter

Hi

So where is the euweb code held?

Cheers

Chris

5. Re: wiki web hit counter

ChrisB said...

So where is the euweb code held?

That's what I linked to in my last response.

http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euweb/

-Greg

6. Re: wiki web hit counter

Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

When it said Log, there was me thinking it was a ..... Log.

Cheers

Chris

7. Re: wiki web hit counter

Hi ChrisB,

The browse map gives you all you need I guess, just find the registration-part
What I would do is add a new field (eg integer my_hits) to each record in the db and
subsequently in the "validation-part simply increment it on log_in.
Then you might add a greet and show how often (s)he has logged in,
allowing her/him (gender in strictly alphabetical order ;) to have it shown or not.
As for me that wouldn´t be necessary, because I simply almost never log out.

Merry Xmas and a healthier, happier and more prosperous new year than you have ever had before

8. Re: wiki web hit counter

Hi Ek

Yes it does, and in all honesty I had revisited it, and then read lower than 'Log' before clicking off the second time.

What you describe is a little less than I was thinking. Browsing through looks like what I want is doable, but my next step is setting up a virtual machine for testing - it looks like lighttpd has been used, but apache is also an option, though a heavier and more involved one.

Anyway my current (slow) next step is learning the installation steps and setting up a server, and installing a working version of euforum there, so I can play (and break it) with impunity.

In 2 or 3 years time I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Cheers

Chris

9. Re: wiki web hit counter

Looks like you have a hell of a project in mind, Chris.
Going renegade?
Well, if it will take 2 years b4 you have questions, that will give me ample time to pursue my own goals,
both in programming and appearing on youtube with a number of "looking outside the box" ideas.
AAMOF I do look (and step) outside that restraining format almost on a daily basis, and, you know,
whenever I step outside it feels different. One time you feel as if you are on the edge of a real breakthrough,
a kind of quantum-jump, you could say, but then an other time, when the step it takes looks easy
and not different from your last "escape from reality and current limitations", you find yourself being thrown back in there,
so fast you hardly could see the perspective, you saw before.

I suppose I tried to step out that time, either from a different location in the box,
or from a position near the edge of it, where, for whatever reason it actually is more difficult.
Maybe I am not in a box (3D)
but inside a square (2D) thus really having to add a totally new dimension, no-one I know has ever done yet.
Or maybe even I am on an endless line and have to step off that line adding dimension 2 to dimension 1).
BUT that should be equally difficult each time, I suppose.
Then why the hell isn't it?

I have the gut-feeling I am on the brink of knowing why, in a scientifically verifiable way. And IF I am correct,
this really is a rather new logical concept. It however will give me an edge on everybody that doesn't know,
because, if my experiments yield a positive result in 2 or 3 years blink,
I will know where to step out AND why exactly on that spot
That single spot will be the easiest one to try and create and formulate a genuine breakthrough
Each next try after that will be easier, until a new "dimensional barrier" will make me having to change that strategy.
The thought of how I actually might be able to find it came as a revelation, after some days of being immersed in logic and physics.

And it is exactly that thought I am going to explain on youtube ASAP,
allowing every body who was curious enough to click my upload,
to profit from this "different search algorhythm, in her/his field & at her/his level, I hope.

"Imagine (as Lennon sings) there's no"..... but there the lyrics will change.

Have I by any any freaky turn of fate stumbled on an essential breakthrough or haven't I? Only time will tell I guess.
And because it hardly can be a dimensionless line (Ohh, sorry, a 1D line ofc) for the above mentioned reason,
it HAS to be at least a square, but why do we call it "outside the box", it hardly can be because we live in a
(far more than... according to Hawking) 3D-world, but by the mere fact of our body (material) we can't escape,
BUT maybe the MIND can. and find ways to help the body evolve to that capacity too.
Maybe we can achieve mastering a different frequency, as described in The Celestine Promise

Enticing and exciting thought IMHO, but don't overheat your grey cells on it, I am doing it already.
The last 2 lines are just meant metaphysically
and i will never stop anybody trying to do what I try

10. Re: wiki web hit counter

Um....ok.

11. Re: wiki web hit counter

ChrisB said...

I just implemented something in the wiki akin to the forum views counts that we have for forum messages on our test environment.

Example: http://interpretedtest.openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/AboutWebsite.wc

Is this close enough to what you want?

ChrisB said...

Browsing through looks like what I want is doable, but my next step is setting up a virtual machine for testing - it looks like lighttpd has been used, but apache is also an option, though a heavier and more involved one.

I once set up a dedicated test server (which no longer exists), that was open to everyone, so people could just jump in and test out euweb changes without having to do all of that set-up first.

No one else ever used it.

ChrisB said...

Anyway my current (slow) next step is learning the installation steps and setting up a server, and installing a working version of euforum there, so I can play (and break it) with impunity.

In 2 or 3 years time I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Hmm. How much unix/linux/gnu admin experience do you have? I can give you access to the test environment on our server but the issue is that we're not currently set up to isolate the test env from prod - so an inexperienced admin could accidently nuke the prod system.

ChrisB said...

Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

When it said Log, there was me thinking it was a ..... Log.

Yes it does, and in all honesty I had revisited it, and then read lower than 'Log' before clicking off the second time.

Can you point to a link on scm.openeuphoria.org ? I'm not sure what this is referring to.

ChrisB said...

I'd like to think about this a bit more, I'm worried about cross-site scripting attacks and the like from this.

ghaberek said...

I don't think the answer to these questions is "no," per se. It's certainly possible to implement these features.

I think it's just that no one is actively maintaining the euweb code right now. Contributions are always welcome.

-Greg

Not to worry folks, I'm still around and I'm still maintaining it. (Or at least I play that person on tv! ;)

12. Re: wiki web hit counter

The actual point Chris is referring to is http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euweb/file/5718849a25cb, as that was the map I pointed out to him after seeing the Log wasn't the stuff he was looking for

13. Re: wiki web hit counter

Ekhnat0n said...

as that was the map I pointed out to him after seeing the Log wasn't the stuff he was looking for

Ok, but I'm asking about the before.

14. Re: wiki web hit counter

The point where he says it was a Log, he was on the link Greg provided and on his first glance didn't see but the update-log of euweb. Later on a second visit he found the "browse" map in the web's menu, that's all. He was looking ofc whether he could add the hit_list, he liked to have, himself or submit the code for it to you. I have no ESP-powers, but it is as clear as crystal to me, that this is exactly what he intended to tell.

15. Re: wiki web hit counter

Ekhnat0n said...

The point where he says it was a Log, he was on the link Greg provided and on his first glance didn't see but the update-log of euweb. Later on a second visit he found the "browse" map in the web's menu, that's all.

Ah, that would make sense. I thought he was referring to a piece of code, not the hg web browser interface.

16. Re: wiki web hit counter

Ekhnat0n said...

The point where he says it was a Log, he was on the link Greg provided and on his first glance didn't see but the update-log of euweb. Later on a second visit he found the "browse" map in the web's menu, that's all. He was looking ofc whether he could add the hit_list, he liked to have, himself or submit the code for it to you. I have no ESP-powers, but it is as clear as crystal to me, that this is exactly what he intended to tell.

That's exactly right.

Cheers

Chris

17. Re: wiki web hit counter

jimcbrown said...

I just implemented something in the wiki akin to the forum views counts that we have for forum messages on our test environment.

Example: http://interpretedtest.openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/AboutWebsite.wc

Is this close enough to what you want?

That's perfect Jim.

On the issue of Linux admin, I would like to think quite a lot, I've administered my Vet database program across 3 sites with multi computers at each site, running various flavours of Linux, so I think giving me admin access is fairly low risk. Having said that part of the process is duplicating the site on a VM anyway, and playing from there rather than on the production site.

Cheers

Chris

18. Re: wiki web hit counter

@jimbrown:

Hello Jim,

First of all a merry Xmas and a healthier, happier and more profitable New Year than any you may have had ever before.

Next the Q: what is the approximate current size of euweb, as just like Chris I like to download it (and just update once/month
(so I needn't go online to query).

Oh.... how illogical of me to ask you, because Chris ofc. will know that almost exactly as he did the Dld just 1 or 2 days ago.
I want to know because I want to be sure once I "wget" it, there wil be ample space either in mem or on the (primary) SSD

19. Re: wiki web hit counter

ChrisB said...
jimcbrown said...

That's perfect Jim.

I'll commit it and look at rolling it out in production when I have time, then.

ChrisB said...

Having said that part of the process is duplicating the site on a VM anyway, and playing from there rather than on the production site.

What would be perfect is if you could come up with a clean VM that can be used as a downloadable image - then anyone who wants to start working on euweb can just download their own ready-made sandbox.

ChrisB said...

On the issue of Linux admin, I would like to think quite a lot, I've administered my Vet database program across 3 sites with multi computers at each site, running various flavours of Linux, so I think giving me admin access is fairly low risk.

Understood. Let me know when and I'll add you when it's needed.

Ekhnat0n said...

First of all a merry Xmas and a healthier, happier and more profitable New Year than any you may have had ever before.

Ditto.

Ekhnat0n said...

Next the Q: what is the approximate current size of euweb, as just like Chris I like to download it (and just update once/month

I'd say in the ballpark of 25 megs.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu