1. Windows Woes

Decided to try Eu on Windows, so I downloaded the latest, and get an immediate failure to perform:

C:\Users\user>type hello.ex 
puts(1,"Hello World") 

C:\Users\user>eui hello 
Hello World 

C:\Users\user>eui 
Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   64-bit Windows, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: 2015-02-02 14:18:53, Id: 6300:57179171dbed 

ERROR: Must specify the file to be interpreted on the command line 

C:\Users\user>euc hello 
option 'plat' must not occur more than once in the command line. 

What's a plat and why is it bothering me?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Windows Woes

irv said...

C:\Users\user>euc hello option 'plat' must not occur more than once in the command line. }}}

euc /? gives this answer:

[-plat platform]      Set the platform for the translated code 

Jean-Marc

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Windows Woes

irv said...

C:\Users\user>euc hello option 'plat' must not occur more than once in the command line. }}}

A plat is a platform parameter for the translator. I'm thinking that either...

• you have -plat specified more than once in a eu.cfg file, or
  • you need to install a compiler and the absence of one is making the translator freak out.

-Greg

4. Re: Windows Woes

OK - I removed all Euphoria from my computer, installed Euphoria using the first link on the downloads page (Windows 64), and mingw with gcc, running on Windows 7. Mingw only offered to install a 32-bit compiler. Do I need to remove Euphoria and install a 32-bit version?

C:\Users\user>euc -con -arch x86 hello 
Build directory: build-829419\ 
Translating code, pass: 1 2 3  generating 
Compiling with GCC 
Compiling  14% init-.c 
Couldn't compile file 'init-.c' 
Status: -1 Command: gcc  -DEWINDOWS -fomit-frame-pointer -c -w -fsigned-char -O2 
 -m32 -IC:/Euphoria -ffast-math init-.c 

Now that EuGTK works nicely with Windows, I wanted to see how a compiled program would run. No luck.

I really think that Euphoria docs should only mention translating/compiling as an option when using Linux, as it's dead simple - doing this on Windows is an exercise in frustration.

5. Re: Windows Woes

irv said...

Mingw only offered to install a 32-bit compiler. Do I need to remove Euphoria and install a 32-bit version?

Unfortunately, MinGW and Mingw-w64 are two separate projects. I'd actually recommend TDM-GCC, which provides both 32-bit and 64-bit compilers.

The 64-bit compilers are backwards-compatible via the -m32 flag. The translator will add this flag for you when you specify -arch x86.

irv said...

Now that EuGTK works nicely with Windows, I wanted to see how a compiled program would run. No luck.

Linux users have the advantage of dedicated package management systems; Windows folk aren't so lucky. You'll get it working.

Keep in mind that most people who develop for Windows probably use Visual Studio so they never have to get into stuff like this.

irv said...

I really think that Euphoria docs should only mention translating/compiling as an option when using Linux, as it's dead simple - doing this on Windows is an exercise in frustration.

Nah. Translating works fine and I don't think it takes any more or less work. If your Linux distro didn't come bundled with a compiler, you might not know how to get one installed, so you'd be in the same predicament.

What we really need to do is fix the docs so that it's clear what needs to be done to get this working with the least effort.

-Greg

6. Re: Windows Woes (solved!)

Many thanks! TDM-GCC works fine. I don't think I'll be compiling many programs on Windows since the startup isn't appreciably faster than just binding the program.

OTOH, compiling Eu programs on Rasberry Pi makes a great deal of difference in the startup time, and on Linux it really isn't an issue either way, interpreted is plenty quick enough, so I seldom bother to bind or compile. I suppose that has something to do with the amount of memory available?

7. Re: Windows Woes (solved!)

irv said...

OTOH, compiling Eu programs on Rasberry Pi makes a great deal of difference in the startup time, and on Linux it really isn't an issue either way, interpreted is plenty quick enough, so I seldom bother to bind or compile. I suppose that has something to do with the amount of memory available?

It probably has more to do with the speed of the storage and CPU than the memory. The interpreter only needs a few KB at startup and the Linux kernel is probably caching the executable and your source code in memory.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu