1. About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

Since I'm allergic to Python, Ruby, C++, Java... and read PHP code makes me sick (what a delicate health isn't it?)... I'm trying to use alternative techs, as Euphoria, commercially.

If my business thrives, I'm thinking of:

• using part of my paid time to refactor/rewrite/debug the interpreter/compiler/binder/library;
  • release part of the source-code I'm already using in production under a free license.

The truth is that I have almost nothing working to contribute at the moment... So at the moment I can only express my feelings cry

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

acEduardo said...

Since I'm allergic to Python, Ruby, C+ +, Java... and read PHP code makes me sick (what a delicate health isn't it?)... I'm trying to use alternative techs, as Euphoria, commercially.

If my business thrives, I'm thinking of:

• using part of my paid time to refactor/rewrite/debug the interpreter/compiler/binder/library;
  • release part of the source-code I'm already using in production under a free license.

The truth is that I have almost nothing working to contribute at the moment... So at the moment I can only express my feelings cry

Sounds like a good project to work on it. I like Euphoria a lot, but it does have its limitations. I also don't like working in Python or Java, Lua and C++ are fine to me though. I probably use Euphoria and C++ the most.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

Off-topic formatting tip: remember to include a tilde '~' to escape the plusplus '++' code, which is meant to indicate addition like this, so 'C~++' becomes 'C++'.

-Greg

4. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

ghaberek said...

Off-topic formatting tip: remember to include a tilde '~' to escape the plusplus '++' code, which is meant to indicate addition like this, so 'C~++' becomes 'C++'.

-Greg

Oh thanks very much :D

5. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

Icy_Viking said...

I like Euphoria a lot, but it does have its limitations.

Do you use C++ to complement Euphoria or vice versa? And what are the most important Euphoria deficiencies on your view? What do you miss most about Euphoria?

EDIT: I mean, as a technology, not as a community.

(Some languages never become mainstream... Euphoria can do it, I'm sure!)

6. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

acEduardo said...
Icy_Viking said...

I like Euphoria a lot, but it does have its limitations.

Do you use C++ to complement Euphoria or vice versa? And what are the most important Euphoria deficiencies on your view? What do you miss most about Euphoria?

EDIT: I mean, as a technology, not as a community.

(Some languages never become mainstream... Euphoria can do it, I'm sure!)

I use C++ quite a bit. I do like that you can call C routines from Euphoria. I think if Euphoria had some sorta struct/class concept, it would be better. Structs really help, especially when you're game programming. I still use Euphoria occasionlly. Also, if Euphoria had a struct function, it would make wrapping C libraries even easier.

I often use Euphoria to wrap or program multimedia applications, such as games. One thing I'd like to do is wrap Monogame, however Monogame is written in C# and lies on top of the .NET framework. I'm sure there could be a way to wrap these functions with a lot of work, which would defeat the purpose of making a simple wrapper. In case anyone was wondering Monogame is the successor to Microsoft's XNA. XNA was a game development library aimed at allowing for the easy creation of video games.

7. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

Icy_Viking said...

I use C++ quite a bit. I do like that you can call C routines from Euphoria. I think if Euphoria had some sorta struct/class concept, it would be better. Structs really help, especially when you're game programming. I still use Euphoria occasionlly. Also, if Euphoria had a struct function, it would make wrapping C libraries even easier.

There is an experimental struct branch that Matt had started a few years ago.

AFAIK it works as-is and should be merged in to the master branch and released with 4.2. (or is that more of a 5.0 feature?)

Icy_Viking said...

I often use Euphoria to wrap or program multimedia applications, such as games. One thing I'd like to do is wrap Monogame, however Monogame is written in C# and lies on top of the .NET framework. I'm sure there could be a way to wrap these functions with a lot of work, which would defeat the purpose of making a simple wrapper. In case anyone was wondering Monogame is the successor to Microsoft's XNA. XNA was a game development library aimed at allowing for the easy creation of video games.

Wrapping .NET from C is not going to be easy. In theory, you could export functions using C++/CLI but you'll be fighting the .NET memory management the whole time.

-Greg

8. Re: About (what i would like to do for) the future of Euphoria

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

There is an experimental struct branch that Matt had started a few years ago.

AFAIK it works as-is and should be merged in to the master branch and released with 4.2. (or is that more of a 5.0 feature?)

Icy_Viking said...

Wrapping .NET from C is not going to be easy. In theory, you could export functions using C++/CLI but you'll be fighting the .NET memory management the whole time.

-Greg

Yeah, wrapping .NET code isn't going to be an easy feat. Also, will Euphoria 4.2 ever see the light of day? Euphoria hasn't been updated in a long time. Hopefully Euphoria will see a new release soon.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu