1. Phix 0.7.1 released.

I think it is time to give up on is-great.org, so I've set up a new site: http://phix.x10.mx

Many fixes for win64, though opengl is still broken (needs mods to pcfunc)

IUP on Linux is looking much better!
Still no proper installation instructions, but demo/pGUI/lnx/installation.txt is a start

need work on lnx:
There seem to be problems with database.e on linux, so I have added constant DB_BROKEN = (platform()=LINUX) to pdemo.exw as a temporary measure. (Although demo/db01.exw seems to be fine...)
For some reason ./phix demo/pGUI/cdtest.exw works fine, but not when run from pdemo...
demo/color.exw displays the Windows colour names instead of Linux ones, but otherwise seems fine.
demo/pGUI/filedump.exw on Linux does not display the details of the tab just selected but the previous one.
demo/pGUI/imgdsp.exw fails (here) with a libpng incompatibility, ditto listview:

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.5.7 
    libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.46 
    libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library 
demo/pGUI/gears.exw just about works (sigsegs on close).
In fact, many demos fail to shut down properly (on Linux), and sit there chewing 100% cpu.
(Replacing sys_brk with libc/malloc solved many problems, so maybe replacing sys_exit with libc/exit will too.)
Other opengl demos need glu, which I'm evidently missing, so I'm done with all of that (opengl) for now.
Threads and critical sections are not working right on Linux - no shock there, but don't expect a quick fix.
Edix is even less stable on Linux than it is on Windows! (as with filedump, tab handling is my prime suspect)
On Linux, I am thinking of permanently dropping support for save_text_image, display_text_image, get_screen_char, put_screen_char, scroll, and get_position. Then again I may need said for trace(), which I have not attempted on Linux.
Note that ptok.e is still using getenv("HOME")&"/phix/" to locate files in Linux.

My immediate plans are:
fix win64/opengl
continue work on Edix

Pete

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Hi Pete

Still getting some no starts, mostly on win32 programs, although some arwen programs are acting the same (and some working).

Edita will only start if I delete the ini file before starting it.

pgui.exw - not starting, and ran process monitor, can't tell if anything is stopping it either.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

ChrisB said...

Still getting some no starts, mostly on win32 programs, although some arwen programs are acting the same (and some working).

Oh dear. Starting to run out of suggestions here. Maybe a nights sleep will help. Is there by any chance anything quietly chewing up CPU in task manager?

ChrisB said...

Hmmm. Does a reboot help any? Does it recur and need the ini file deleting again?

ChrisB said...

pgui.exw - not starting, and ran process monitor, can't tell if anything is stopping it either.

Any luck with pdemo? (pdemo is the pGUI/IUP replacement of pgui)

Thanks for trying, anyawy
Pete

4. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

petelomax said...
ChrisB said...

Oh dear. Starting to run out of suggestions here. Maybe a nights sleep will help. Is there by any chance anything quietly chewing up CPU in task manager?

ChrisB said...

Hmmm. Does a reboot help any? Does it recur and need the ini file deleting again?

ChrisB said...

Any luck with pdemo? (pdemo is the pGUI/IUP replacement of pgui)

Thanks for trying, anyawy
Pete

Hi Pete

Well, I rebooted, and everything worked! Windows eh?

Many thanks

Chris

5. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Hi Pete

Having got a properly functioning Phix install, I have now started experimenting with the IDE for win32lib, with some promising results. It looks like a good proportion (and I haven't fully tested yet) of programs written with the IDE will run with Phix and the current win32lib, without the manifest issue causing blocked out labels to appear - ie my dream place and plonk gui design.

I may be able to get the ide working with Phix yet (or may not), but in due course I will post a procedure for getting the two working together.

I think the opengl demos need a little work, will look at those later.

Cheers

Chris

6. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Tried to download today. Went to http://phix.x10.mx/ and picked download page. Selected windows installer "phix.exe"; got a 404 message on "URL /phix.exe". Also tried the "phix.zip" link - same result!

7. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

dr_can said...

Tried to download today. Went to http://phix.x10.mx/ and picked download page. Selected windows installer "phix.exe"; got a 404 message on "URL /phix.exe". Also tried the "phix.zip" link - same result!

Couldn't find any messages about why they had suddenly disappeared, anyway I have re-uploaded them and added two alt links for "phixexe" and "phixzip" (which would need renaming on save) to see if those fare any better long-term.

Thanks for reporting this,
Pete

Edit: ah, x10s TOS states "Files over 10MB in size will be automatically removed from non-upgraded accounts" - apparently "after about 4 hours" - so I've asked for a (free) upgrade as my site is over 7 days old, but might not get it 'cos I'm not using more than 50% of my free 512MB. Anyway, I've added two more "alt2" links to Google Drive.

8. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Tried again just now: main link failed, as did "alt" but "alt2" worked. Download successful; installed as administrator (win7); look forward to trying it out.

Thank you.

9. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

I downloaded the Phix 0.7.1 release, and when I try to execute pw.exe I get the following error message:

“The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.”

I am trying to run Phix 0.7.1 on an XP system.

How can I fix this problem with version 0.7.1? I did not have this problem with version 0.6.1’

Don

10. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Hi Don

A quick google search, it looks likes GetTickCount64 isn't supported on anything less than Windows Vista, so it looks like you are out of luck with win XP, unless there is a work around to use GetTickCount, but I suspect that there may also be other issues too.

Just had a quick look - it's in pTime.e, and associated with machine code, so not something I'll be touching!

Cheers

Chris

11. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Chris:

Thanks for your reply I suspected that might be the problem. Guess that rules out using version 0.7.1 for me.

Don

12. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

GSAC3 said...

I downloaded the Phix 0.7.1 release, and when I try to execute pw.exe I get the following error message:

“The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.”

I am trying to run Phix 0.7.1 on an XP system.

How can I fix this problem with version 0.7.1? I did not have this problem with version 0.6.1’

Don

Hi Don,

There are a number of options I can try, but yep, if pw.exe won't start then 0.7.1 is strictly a no-goer for you. But I'll outline things anyway.

There is a fair bit of untested code in builtins/VM/pTime.e, that M$ has made somewhat harder for me to test by rudely yanking winxp mode from windows 10.
(I was going to say have a play, you won't make things any worse, but you are stymied from the get-go, without vista or later to play on.)
I have found and am currently downloading a vhd that might work...
I has just truck me, however, that I can simply try and load "GetTickCount65", to simulate it not being available - I'll let you know how I get on.

Bottom line is "maybe 0.7.2".

Regards,
Pete

13. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Pete:

Many thanks for your feedback.

I will be watching to see if you are successful with the "fix" you are going to try.

Don

14. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

I recently came across Phix. I noticed that it is very similar to Euphoria. What makes it better than Euphoria? Rather what are areas where it is better to use Phix than Euphoria? I am curious to know more. I'm also thinking about giving it a go, but I can't see much sense in it, as it looks extremely similar to Euphoria. Almost as it is a clone of Euphoria. At least that's what I get from judiging the looks and the code of it from the homepage of Phix. Any in-depth or greater knowledge of Phix would be highly appericated. Thanks.

15. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Hi Icy

I was gong to write a wicky article as to why I think, at the moment, Phix is better than Euphoria. As you may have noticed, I have become quite excited about Phix over the last few weeks, and am in the finishing stages of releasing an EuWinGui Phix Edition, and the win32Lib IDE Phix edition is coming along nicely too.

There are quite a few reasons why I like Phix, and I may forget to put them all here, so bear with me if I edit this from time to time.

1. There is only one version of Phix. Euphoria has become fragmented with 4.05 and 4.1, some programs working on both, some on one, and not the other. Not least of which is the DLL issue (which some people swear doesn't exist, but I have shown (to myself at least) does - ie some dlls open with 4.05, some with 4.1, an some with both). With Phix, of the ones that I have tried so far, they have opened.

2. Phix's include system. Phix uses a flat file include system, so if you list the includes in the order they appear in the program listing (including the includes), then the include, and their global functions and procedures are available to ALL of the program. Namespaces are still available if you have duplicate exported function names. Euphoria uses a (for want of a better word) a tree system, where includes can only be seen in the branch they are on, and you have to explicitly include them. SOme people may see this is as an advantage, I see this as an added layer of complication.

3. Eu has the eu.cfg file to avoid path and environment issues. This tells eu where to look for include files, but does not bypass the tree system. Although Eu can use this too, Phix uses, very nicely, an include to bring all includes into the fold. Fair enough, you could put these into the main file, I just find this a nice feature.

4. Phix does not have to explicitly include the standard library - in Phix, these are all considered builtins, and are added if they needed. In Eu you have to explicitly include the std include you want for a lot of functions. So you don't need (eg) include std/file.e at the top of your program.

5. Phix comes with edita included. Eu comes with the euphoria editor included.

6. Phix produces smaller excecutables

7. Phix produces faster executables (at least the ide seems to start faster - will run some timing tests one day). The interpreted programs also seem to start and run faster. This could be entirely subjective.

8. Phix is easier to install, and get going (no environment variables, just tell edita where Phix is, and your off)

9. Most eu programs run with very few changes

10. Phix has a very nice help file (keep this up Pete)

11. In phix, there are some syntactic differences, mostly explained in the help file. for instance if a_string = "Hello world" then end if is a valid expression. Other sequence operators and comparators are more explicit as to their function, which may require some re writing for eu to Phix conversion - not much though.

I'm sure there are other things too.

Euphoria is great, I love the language, but I just can't get away from the feeling that OpenEu has stagnated - it's certainly in a quagmire of 4.05 vs 4.1 at the moment (even though 4.1 is still meant to be a beta release, there are several programs that now depend on eu 4.1). There was a comment that cutting edge versions should not be general release a short while ago - I wholeheartedly agree with this. Unfortunately it is a small development team of highly skilled individuals, that also have real lives too, and it's not surprising that progress is slow. Phix is one man, who has no other team members to discuss stuff with, and while development isn't necasserily full steam ahead, it does seem to keep going.

Cheers

Chris

16. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

ChrisB said...

Hi Icy

I was gong to write a wicky article as to why I think, at the moment, Phix is better than Euphoria. As you may have noticed, I have become quite excited about Phix over the last few weeks, and am in the finishing stages of releasing an EuWinGui Phix Edition, and the win32Lib IDE Phix edition is coming along nicely too.

There are quite a few reasons why I like Phix, and I may forget to put them all here, so bear with me if I edit this from time to time.

1. There is only one version of Phix. Euphoria has become fragmented with 4.05 and 4.1, some programs working on both, some on one, and not the other. Not least of which is the DLL issue (which some people swear doesn't exist, but I have shown (to myself at least) does - ie some dlls open with 4.05, some with 4.1, an some with both). With Phix, of the ones that I have tried so far, they have opened.

2. Phix's include system. Phix uses a flat file include system, so if you list the includes in the order they appear in the program listing (including the includes), then the include, and their global functions and procedures are available to ALL of the program. Namespaces are still available if you have duplicate exported function names. Euphoria uses a (for want of a better word) a tree system, where includes can only be seen in the branch they are on, and you have to explicitly include them. SOme people may see this is as an advantage, I see this as an added layer of complication.

3. Eu has the eu.cfg file to avoid path and environment issues. This tells eu where to look for include files, but does not bypass the tree system. Although Eu can use this too, Phix uses, very nicely, an include to bring all includes into the fold. Fair enough, you could put these into the main file, I just find this a nice feature.

4. Phix does not have to explicitly include the standard library - in Phix, these are all considered builtins, and are added if they needed. In Eu you have to explicitly include the std include you want for a lot of functions. So you don't need (eg) include std/file.e at the top of your program.

5. Phix comes with edita included. Eu comes with the euphoria editor included.

6. Phix produces smaller excecutables

7. Phix produces faster executables (at least the ide seems to start faster - will run some timing tests one day). The interpreted programs also seem to start and run faster. This could be entirely subjective.

8. Phix is easier to install, and get going (no environment variables, just tell edita where Phix is, and your off)

9. Most eu programs run with very few changes

10. Phix has a very nice help file (keep this up Pete)

11. In phix, there are some syntactic differences, mostly explained in the help file. for instance if a_string = "Hello world" then end if is a valid expression. Other sequence operators and comparators are more explicit as to their function, which may require some re writing for eu to Phix conversion - not much though.

I'm sure there are other things too.

Euphoria is great, I love the language, but I just can't get away from the feeling that OpenEu has stagnated - it's certainly in a quagmire of 4.05 vs 4.1 at the moment (even though 4.1 is still meant to be a beta release, there are several programs that now depend on eu 4.1). There was a comment that cutting edge versions should not be general release a short while ago - I wholeheartedly agree with this. Unfortunately it is a small development team of highly skilled individuals, that also have real lives too, and it's not surprising that progress is slow. Phix is one man, who has no other team members to discuss stuff with, and while development isn't necasserily full steam ahead, it does seem to keep going.

Cheers

Chris

Those are some pretty good supportive arguments. I might give Phix a try. Now I am more interested in trying it. Thanks for your insight.

17. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

ChrisB said...

why I think, at the moment, Phix is better than Euphoria.

Kind words indeed, thank you.

18. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

When I went to try and install Phix I got an error, a certain error prevents this program from being installed, is what the error says. I'm not sure why this would come up, as I tried to install to its default path. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

19. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

Icy_Viking said...

When I went to try and install Phix I got an error, a certain error prevents this program from being installed, is what the error says.

Ah, if I run the installer by double-clicking on it, it says:

--------------------------- 
FreeExtractor Error 
An error prevents this program from continuing: 

Could not extract the current file. Access is denied. 

OK    

Can you right click on it and select "run as administrator".

Alternatively, use 7-zip (or download the zip and use Windows Explorer) to extract somewhere you don't need admin privileges (ie not C:\Program Files), then run ppw.bat

Pete

PS I have also now found a "solution" to this - renaming the download as phix.setup.exe (instead of phix.exe) gives Windows enough of a clue to give the right UAC prompt; future releases will be so named.

20. Re: Phix 0.7.1 released.

petelomax said...
Icy_Viking said...

When I went to try and install Phix I got an error, a certain error prevents this program from being installed, is what the error says.

Ah, if I run the installer by double-clicking on it, it says:

FreeExtractor Error 
An error prevents this program from continuing: 

Could not extract the current file. Access is denied. 

OK    

Can you right click on it and select "run as administrator".

Alternatively, use 7-zip (or download the zip and use Windows Explorer) to extract somewhere you don't need admin privileges (ie not C:\Program Files), then run ppw.bat

Pete

PS I have also now found a "solution" to this - renaming the download as phix.setup.exe (instead of phix.exe) gives Windows enough of a clue to give the right UAC prompt; future releases will be so named.

Thanks for the tips.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu