1. Back in town

Hey dolls & guys,

The old Dutch windmill is still alive and kicking. It took 2 cardiac arrests (the latter followed by a 70+hrs coma) in 2015 and several months of mental recovery BUT I surely survived
to return here and be(come) the usual 'pain in the ass' like I was before.

How are things progressing?
Has a board of "overseeers" making Euph's development more coherent and organised (like Derek Parnell once suggested) been established?

That's it for now:

Ekhnat0n aka Antoine from the Netherlands

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Back in town

Glad to see you back!

Since 2015, there has been no major change in OE itself to my point of view. A lot of wrappers have been updated or appeared. Some more are coming out.

Best regards

Jean-Marc

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Back in town

Thanks for the welcoming words Jean-Marc.
Good to see that one still is remembered by somebody at least.

Antoine(Ekhnat0n)

4. Re: Back in town

I suspect everyone remembers you.

You asked what's new... well, OE is dead, there's no devs working on it, no plans, no bug fixes, no "roadmap". There is talk of dropping all Windows support, much like all DOS support was ended years ago. Afaik, any bugs introduced after the "Euphoria Interpreter v4.0.5 development" release of Feb 2013 have not been fixed.

I found a way to transparently share variables (and code too) between programs, which was welcome here as a brick to a drowning person.

Lots of talk of old stuff, rehashing it, and re-packaging of applications.

5. Re: Back in town

Hi, catsmeow,

Nice to hear you hiss at those stupid dogs.
If I start "wind-milling" and you really show
your claws as you usually did, MAYBE some
change might come.

Don't even start to think I forgot you either
because nolens volens.... you are one of my most respeted friends.

Antoine

6. Re: Back in town

katsmeow said...

You asked what's new... well, OE is dead, there's no devs working on it, no plans, no bug fixes, no "roadmap". There is talk of dropping all Windows support, much like all DOS support was ended years ago. Afaik, any bugs introduced after the "Euphoria Interpreter v4.0.5 development" release of Feb 2013 have not been fixed.

I found a way to transparently share variables (and code too) between programs, which was welcome here as a brick to a drowning person.

Is it really that dead? :(

I haven't used Euphoria for quite some time but was getting back into writing things with it and looking forward to a "stable" release with 64-bit support (using the beta at the moment).

7. Re: Back in town

silverblade said...
katsmeow said...

I haven't used Euphoria for quite some time but was getting back into writing things with it and looking forward to a "stable" release with 64-bit support (using the beta at the moment).

I wouldn't say it's dead, just stalled at 98% progress.

8. Re: Back in town

katsmeow said...

I was there: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/130409.wc. No code, no examples, a dead 14-year-old geocities link, and certainly nothing cross platform.

In what universe would anyone respond positively to that?

Pete

9. Re: Back in town

silverblade said...

Not intentionally picking on that specific quote, just something I felt like saying:

Things are still moving along, although maybe not as fast as one might ideally hope.

At the risk of sounding like I am trumpeting my own horn, and fully knowing this stuff is all still very much a work-in-progress, in 2016 Phix has seen:

First 64-bit (been solving newly found problems in that all day today, btw)
First Linux (still no gui yet)
Dictionaries
Unicode support
DLL creation
pGUI
arm disassembly

There have also been several releases of Redy, and there is a page-full of other stuff

Pete

10. Re: Back in town

petelomax said...

There have also been several releases of Redy

Yep, I am taking a risk, betting that OpenEuphoria will continue one way or another, because i have spent over 10 years working on this. Version 1.0 planned release date is Jan 1, 2017. I believe RedyCode is proof that Euphoria (even though it is an interpreted language with a few shortcomings and currently lacking an active develpment team) is powerful and stable enough to handle a complete GUI widget toolkit written in 100% Euphoria, as well as a syntax-highlighting text editor! I had some doubts while working on it, but it is working better than i expected.

11. Re: Back in town

petelomax said...
katsmeow said...

I was there: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/130409.wc. No code, no examples, a dead 14-year-old geocities link, and certainly nothing cross platform.

With all the code for IPC already submitted, why would i add more? And i am sorry about someone else's 14 year old dead geocities link. I don't think cross platform is going to matter when OE drops the windows platform, and since that's all i code for, this contribution would be as dead as all my other contributions.

petelomax said...

Pete

In what universe is plain ole IPC the same as transparently and (almost) instantly sharing the user-chosen variable contents between programs? There's no polling, little cpu use, and code is eye candy plus one include file which the preprocessor writes.

I discussed the scheme on irc with the only person i know who was interested in it. But he is a looooooooong way from needing it.

When will it ever happen that people can download a working version of Phix, without coming here and asking about the missing files?

Kat

12. Re: Back in town

petelomax said...

certainly nothing cross platform.

Agreed. Back then, FakeThreads wasn't cross platform and couldn't easily be made cross platform. And interest in FakeThreads was non-existent.

katsmeow said...

In what universe is plain ole IPC the same as transparently and (almost) instantly sharing the user-chosen variable contents between programs?

Well, we had the latter over 14 years ago with FakeThreads. If there was no interest back then, I don't see why there would be any now.

katsmeow said...

There's no polling,

FakeThreads has this.

katsmeow said...

little cpu use,

FakeThreads has this.

katsmeow said...

plus one include file which the preprocessor writes.

FakeThreads doesn't need this.

katsmeow said...

and code is eye candy

You've got me there. FakeThreads is ugly to look at.

katsmeow said...

a looooooooong way from needing it.

Agreed. I think that's true of the community in general - virtually no one needs something like this. If there was more of a need, FakeThreads would have been a lot more popular back then.

katsmeow said...

When will it ever happen that people can download a working version of Phix, without coming here and asking about the missing files?

Probably when that project has someone with time to perform release testing (downloading and running the release canidate to make sure it works). We used to have a whole team that did this for OE, but now it's just down to _tom.

13. Re: Back in town

I don't recall how FakeThreads worked, it's not in the RDS Archives, and i don't have a copy.

This is how clean the pre-processed eye candy for sharing variables in my globalvar code:

-- to test sharing chosen variables 

include std/console.e -- for wait_key() 

object junk 
sequence junk2 = 78 
shared sequence myid1 = "test2" 
shared sequence myid2 
shared object nesteddata = {"still test 2","test2",2} 

puts(1,"press any key to start changes in vars") 
junk = wait_key() 

myid2 = "i am still test2" 

sleep(1) 
myid1 = "Test2" 

sleep(1) 
myid1 = "TEst2" 

sleep(1) 
nesteddata = {"STILL TEST 2","TEST2",92} 

puts(1,"press any key to close") 
junk = wait_key() 

The dummy app which also used the shared variable names was just a loop which puts()'d out the data in a fast loop. Yep, that simple: executing myid1 = "Test2" in program1 caused program2 to print the new value.

14. Re: Back in town

katsmeow said...

This is how clean the pre-processed eye candy for sharing variables in my globalvar code:

Yep, FakeThreads (alone) didn't have that.

I had a preprocessor called Dredge which, among other things, provided that 'shared' syntax. The post-processed file would have all shared variables replaced with calls to FakeThreads (and unshared variables would all be stuck in a big global sequence, so Dredge could simulate variable_id()).

(Most of what Dredge did was made obsolete by OE 4. The two biggest things in Drege were rewriting for loops into while loops, so pre-processed code could modify the iterator variable, and allowing one to declare and then use a variable anywhere inside a function, instead of requiring all variable declarations to happen at the top of a routine.)

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu