1. Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

Is anyone maintaining euVide?

Regards, jd

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

jessedavis said...

FYI, Judith passed away last year. sad

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

jessedavis said...

Regards, jd

I was working on a 64-bit version, including lots of cleanup of the code:

https://bitbucket.org/mattlewis/euwin32libide

It's been over a year since I've done anything with it, however (and mostly it was about 4 years ago that I really stopped).

Matt

4. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

Yes, I (Charles Newbould) am.

You can find Version 1.0.6 on the Euphoria website (since Apr 22/14). This is a tidying-up of the last version Judith wrote, but which she never released. As far as I know it is stable, but as I rarely hear of anybody using it, I cannot be sure. If you want to run this via an interpreter it is best to use exw, unless you have a very fast machine, but there is an exe version in the distro. There are options to choose either Eu3 or Eu4 to run/test your solution.

There is a significant re-write (Version 1.0.7), which is intended to be the last which will support Eu3.1.1. This is being tested at present. It has a few bugs, but these tend not to surface in normal usage! It is not currently on general release, though, and I haven't got a date for this yet.

At https://bitbucket.org/CANewbould/euvide you can find Version 1.0.8, which uses Eu4's facilities in the code. This, too, has some known bugs but some users have tried it out and are not displeased by it. (No 64-bit, though, because it, by definition, uses the extant 32-bit win32lib, although this IDE uses my "own" version of that library (idea thanks to J M Duro, in truth), which is better for fast loading. This version is being worked on at present, so it keeps changing, but you are welcome to give it a go. A Tutorial is in a fairly advanced state of preparation and that will appear on the Bitbucket site. I am also working on re-instating Judith's "toolkit" approach, whereby the IDE becomes the tool for its own development, but I have no idea how long that might take me. In any case, if successful, a normal user wouldn't (need to) know.

5. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

ghaberek said...
jessedavis said...

FYI, Judith passed away last year. sad

-Greg

First, my condolences to those who new and worked with Judith. I am saddened to hear of her passing.

Regards,
jd

6. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

dr_can said...

Yes, I (Charles Newbould) am.

You can find Version 1.0.6 on the Euphoria website (since Apr 22/14). This is a tidying-up of the last version Judith wrote, but which she never released. As far as I know it is stable, but as I rarely hear of anybody using it.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have been using various incarnations of this program for years. Currently using 1.06 20 Nov, 1012. On the whole, it is easy to use, provides fast GUI construction, and is, more or less, reliable. There are, however, several bugs that I find annoying. I have found some workarounds. I thought I might investigate fixing them but the complexity of the code is daunting. Anyway, here are my concerns:
1. The program has a nasty habit of constructing multiple entries of controls in the .exw file created. This causes "attempt to redefine" errors. I have looked at the .prj file and see no reason why multiple entries are generated. Frequent backups of the project file are a must. This happens, maybe, 5% of the generation times.
2. The window message box editor has a problem on closing. I think it destroys the recent window or menu. In any event, about one in 5 usages will cause the program to crash. It is imperative that one manually saves the file before every attempt to use the editor - or simply, don't bother with the editor and just use a snippet to insert the boilerplate.
3. Dragging a control edge to expand it causes the program to crash. This seems to happen only after the number of controls passes about 50. Does not affect the project file so just restart the program.
4. I have a few suggestions to improve the performance and usefulness of the program.
5. I just don't know where to start; however, I am willing to put some effort into it if enough people use the program to make it worthwhile.
6. It's raining here.

My real question is how to proceed from here and is it worthwhile?
Regards,
jd

7. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

It might help to know what version of Windows and win32lib you are using when these errors occur.

I don't know of anyone else who is creating applications using the IDE which have over 50 controls, so perhaps it isn't a surprise that I haven't heard of that particular issue before.

I suggest the following options (any or all!):

• e-mail details of your suggested improvements to me via the Bitbucket site;
  • likewise send details of the features you don't use;
  • join the testing group for Version 1.0.7;
  • join the development team for Version 1.0.8.

I don't think there are many users now and not all are using Euphoria 4, so one has to be prepared to be disappointed if ones efforts have little impact. Nevertheless the only chance this application has is if those who use it and want it get together to help it survive and prosper. Yes, the code is very daunting - it took me a good three years to master enough of it to try to change it - but I think that there is a clear future pathway, even though win32lib seems no longer to be actively supported.

8. Re: Question for Charles Newbould, Judith Evans, Matt Lewis - or anyone else!

dr_can said...

It might help to know what version of Windows and win32lib you are using when these errors occur.

Win32lib v0.70.20 restructured Release 2 (2014-11-02)

Windows 7 professional service pack 1

Thanks - send more later.

Regards, jd

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu