1. CamelCase on euforum

I don't know about anyone else, but i get really tired of words like RedyCode making dozens of links on every forum post unless i manually disable them. Is there a reason to have CamelCase automatically create links on the forum? I'd say probably 90% of these go to pages that don't exist. It really clutters up the forum, in my opinion.

Also, C should be ignored. Look, i just broke it. Does anyone else feel this way?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: CamelCase on euforum

ryanj said...

I don't know about anyone else, but i get really tired of words like RedyCode making dozens of links on every forum post unless i manually disable them. Is there a reason to have CamelCase automatically create links on the forum? I'd say probably 90% of these go to pages that don't exist. It really clutters up the forum, in my opinion.

Also, C should be ignored. Look, i just broke it. Does anyone else feel this way?

could we just reverse the use of Tilde '~"? if you want to underline, then ~++ if you want a ~CamelCase wiki link

the idea is, that it's automatic in a wiki to simplify creating a new page the first time someone uses a link you get the offer to edit the page. I agree, it should be off in the forum. or at least you should get a titletip that the page doesn't exist yet. there may even be a Ticket feature request on this already.

we managed to get it shut off in eudoc while creating the html, so it is possible. (or maybe the Tilde '~' was the workaround?)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: CamelCase on euforum

I agree we should disable automatic CamelCase detection in the forum. It's unnecessary and cumbersome and nobody ever uses it on purpose.

The tilde is not a workaround; it's an escape character. It is often necessary to escape Creole formatting. I use it all the time to help others with their formatting.

The ++ is used for "Addition" (the opposite of "Deletion", not the mathematical operator) but all it does it provide underline formatting. I recommend we remove the processing for ++ in the forum if that's possible.

Anywhere it has been properly used ++would still look like this++ which IMHO is acceptable. Anywhere it has been misused, like when people try to type "C++", would be corrected. That sounds like a win-win to me.

Here's the markup table from the CreoleHelp for reference:

Markup Effect
** Strong
// Emphasis
__ Underline
^^ Superscript
,, Subscript
++ Addition
-- Deletion
## Monospaced
!! !!Comment!!
{{{ }}} Escape creole

-Greg

4. Re: CamelCase on euforum

ghaberek said...

I agree we should disable automatic CamelCase detection in the forum. It's unnecessary and cumbersome and nobody ever uses it on purpose.

The ++ is used for "Addition" (the opposite of "Deletion", not the mathematical operator) but all it does it provide underline formatting. I recommend we remove the processing for ++ in the forum if that's possible.

This had been proposed before - I've asked for alternatives here: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/120125.wc (but not received any yet).

The good news is that it seems it is easy to disable these features outright: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/120103.wc - but there is a question of how hard it would be to make them optional.

Still, it seems this is unanimous. If I don't see a single dissenter within a week, I'll make these requested changes.

5. Re: CamelCase on euforum

ARGH, in a recent post, i mention the "RedyCode.cfg" file, and it is assumed to be a link. Is that annoying, or what? Do you see my argument for why CamelCase should be disabled in the forum?

6. Re: CamelCase on euforum

can we remove the file protocol from creole.opts? probably never going to be a legitimate use in the forum or wiki possibly in a local version of the docs, but I don't think it's used there either. I think it was intended to only work if file was all caps, like the wiki protocol?

what are protocols? when referencing a file: <-- that's what happens.
links going no-place are all over the archived forum posts and wiki pages unless de-referenced with tilde~.

if you want to reference a wiki page, there are several popular wiki links supported, though probably little used and not well documented. you can say [[OPENEU:Index]] Interwiki link failed for OPENEU:index, OPENEU:index and WIKI:WhatEver

inexplicably, a non existent link for OPENEU is labeled invalid interwiki link, but you can use the other default openeuphroia wiki shorthand WIKI and that has no problem showing a nonexistent page.

OHANA, WIKIPEDIA and C2 also supported

if the wiki word is fixed in the forum, a bit of text the mini help under the forum edit could explain how to use wiki protocol to create actual pages to the wiki that a user could then edit in preview to create the page and the link.

tickets also, like so [[TICKET:541]], TICKET:541 Ticket #541: remove 'file' protocol from creole opts this is marked fixed, but either file got put back into creole,ops or the forum is using an old version. not sure why file: causes a link and wiki: doesn't. probably should only have to say WIKI:link but that is apparently broken or disabled

7. Re: CamelCase on euforum

ne1uno said...

can we remove the file protocol from creole.opts?

tickets also, like so [[TICKET:541]], TICKET:541 Ticket #541: remove 'file' protocol from creole opts this is marked fixed, but either file got put back into creole,ops or the forum is using an old version. not sure why file: causes a link and wiki: doesn't. probably should only have to say WIKI:link but that is apparently broken or disabled

Not sure what happened, that was back when Jeremy was managing things. I just applied the fix manually to the site.

ne1uno said...

what are protocols?

A comprehensive list is available at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/creole/file/79a9cbf58661/creole.e#l263

ne1uno said...

links going no-place are all over the archived forum posts and wiki pages unless de-referenced with tilde~.

if you want to reference a wiki page, there are several popular wiki links supported, though probably little used and not well documented. you can say [[OPENEU:Index]] Interwiki link failed for OPENEU:index, OPENEU:index and WIKI:WhatEver

inexplicably, a non existent link for OPENEU is labeled invalid interwiki link, but you can use the other default openeuphroia wiki shorthand WIKI and that has no problem showing a nonexistent page.

OHANA, WIKIPEDIA and C2 also supported

if the wiki word is fixed in the forum, a bit of text the mini help under the forum edit could explain how to use wiki protocol to create actual pages to the wiki that a user could then edit in preview to create the page and the link.

I think there may be a bug in the loading of creole.opts

This is where we load creole.opts http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/creole/file/79a9cbf58661/creole.ex#l348

But we don't use creole.ex - we're using euweb.ex and I don't see creole.ex being included!

There's a default hardcoded list at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euweb/file/f325a2543ff5/source/format.e#l38 but that doesn't include everything. Notably, OPENEU and C2 are missing from that list.

There's another default hardcoded list at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/creole/file/79a9cbf58661/creole.ex#l31 that includes even less.

8. Re: CamelCase on euforum

jimcbrown said...
ne1uno said...

can we remove the file protocol from creole.opts?

Not sure what happened, that was back when Jeremy was managing things. I just applied the fix manually to the site.

Ok, that wasn't enough. I just applied an extra fix on top of that (on both sites) to get rid of it. Uncommitted, unfortunately. But here's the diff.

diff -r 835780e1a37e creole.e 
--- a/creole.e  Wed Feb 20 11:38:27 2013 -0500 
+++ b/creole.e  Sun May 29 11:08:21 2016 -0400 
@@ -317,6 +317,12 @@ 
                vProtocols = map:get( base_options, "protocols", vProtocols) 
                vCodeColors = map:get( base_options, "codecolors", vCodeColors) 
        end if 
+       for ii = 1 to length(vProtocols) do 
+               if equal(vProtocols[ii], "FILE:") then 
+                       vProtocols = vProtocols[1..ii-1] & vProtocols[ii+1..$] 
+                       exit 
+               end if 
+       end for 

end procedure 
 init() 

Search

Quick Links