1. SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

Hi,

I'm looking for a wrapper/library allowing for connecting to Oracle database and run SQLs; I've searched, but can not find anything.

My goal is to create an openEuphoria program that can fetch data from Oracle database and create a HTML5-page. I'm half way there, meaning I have to run the SQL in PL/SQL, save as csv, then run my Euphoria application. Hopefully I can end up with just running the SQL via Euphoria application.

I'm guessing it is a fairly advanced subject, so I was hoping that someone might have any pointers/tips on how to go about?

Regards Kenneth aka ZNorQ.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

Hi Kenneth

Would this not be accessing the oracle DB with the tho ODBC drivers, then accessing the odbc driver with Matt's ODBC wrapper?

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

ZNorQ said...

for connecting to Oracle database

You have my condolences.

ZNorQ said...

My goal is to create an openEuphoria program that can fetch data from Oracle database and create a HTML5-page. I'm half way there, meaning I have to run the SQL in PL/SQL, save as csv, then run my Euphoria application. Hopefully I can end up with just running the SQL via Euphoria application.

I'm guessing it is a fairly advanced subject, so I was hoping that someone might have any pointers/tips on how to go about?

Have a look at OCILIB. I haven't used it but it looks pretty straight-forward. Seems to include pre-built DLLs for Windows, too.

-Greg

4. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

ChrisB said...

Hi Kenneth

Would this not be accessing the oracle DB with the tho ODBC drivers, then accessing the odbc driver with Matt's ODBC wrapper?

Cheers

Chris

Hi ChrisB,

Excellent idea. Must admit I'm not very familiar with ODBC, however it was very easy to use. It works like a charm! Thanks for the feedback.

regards, Kenneth aka ZNorQ.

5. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

ghaberek said...
ZNorQ said...

for connecting to Oracle database

You have my condolences.

ZNorQ said...

Have a look at OCILIB. I haven't used it but it looks pretty straight-forward. Seems to include pre-built DLLs for Windows, too.

-Greg

Hi Greg.

ChrisB's idea worked like a charm and was very easy to set up, so I'm implementing that. Thanks anyway for the feedback.

I understand you've got no love for Oracle, why's that? PS! I'm not a fan boy myself, but I'm not totally against it either. :)

Regards Kenneth aka ZNorQ.

6. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

ZNorQ said...

I understand you've got no love for Oracle, why's that? PS! I'm not a fan boy myself, but I'm not totally against it either. :)

Do you want to run Oracle on one virtual machine with two vCPUs on your VMware cluster? Got six sockets in your cluster? With eight cores each? You'll need to pay for all forty-eight cores, because you could use any of them! And the real kicker? The licensing is $25,000 per core! Do the math! So we're running Oracle 12c on a crippled machine with a single 8-core Xeon CPU so that we only have to pay $200,000 in extortion licensing fees.

I liken it to racketeering because it seems like some shifty mobster saying, "gee, sure is a nice VMware cluster you got there. Would be a shame if you had to use all those cores. Better pay me forty-eight times my normal protection fee just to be sure." One of my colleagues also put it this way: "It's as if Oracle owns a parking lot and they charged you $5 per space for all one hundred spaces, because you could park in any one of the spaces."

Here's an article from just last week showing the extreme difference in cost between Microsoft and Oracle:

I assure you my company will be taking up Microsoft on that offer to migrate to SQL Server 2016 as soon as possible.

-Greg

7. Re: SQL wrappers/libraries for openEuphoria?

ghaberek said...
ZNorQ said...

Do you want to run Oracle on one virtual machine with two vCPUs on your VMware cluster? Got six sockets in your cluster? With eight cores each? You'll need to pay for all forty-eight cores, because you could use any of them! And the real kicker? The licensing is $25,000 per core! Do the math! So we're running Oracle 12c on a crippled machine with a single 8-core Xeon CPU so that we only have to pay $200,000 in extortion licensing fees.

I liken it to racketeering because it seems like some shifty mobster saying, "gee, sure is a nice VMware cluster you got there. Would be a shame if you had to use all those cores. Better pay me forty-eight times my normal protection fee just to be sure." One of my colleagues also put it this way: "It's as if Oracle owns a parking lot and they charged you $5 per space for all one hundred spaces, because you could park in any one of the spaces."

Here's an article from just last week showing the extreme difference in cost between Microsoft and Oracle:

I assure you my company will be taking up Microsoft on that offer to migrate to SQL Server 2016 as soon as possible.

-Greg

I heard rumors about an insane licensing model from Oracle, however I didn't know it was this insane.

Thanks for the warning :)

Kenneth/ZNorQ

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu