1. RedyCode IDE - preview release

I am really excited about this release! RedyCode has come a long way in the last few months. I decided to stop releasing RedyLib by itself and just include it with the RedyCode IDE as one complete package. I put alot of thought into the Redy environment (Euphoria/RedyLib paths) and the RedyCode Projects specifications. Even though RedyCode is still not quite ready to edit source code, i decided to release a preview of what it will look like.

This preview demonstrates:

• Setting up the Redy environment
  • Creating and opening projects
  • Viewing source code in tabs
  • Setting project properties
  • Running project apps (exw files)
  • Reading/writing various config files
  • Demo Project (several demo apps)
  • RedyCode Project (RedyCode source)
  • New version of redylib with many small improvements

Unfortunately, the text editor itself is still unstable, so saving source files is disabled. I plan to overhaul the gui/objects/textedit.e file over the next few weeks so that source code can be edited and saved reliably.

Here is a list of important features:

• RedyCode is specifically designed to make it easy to write RedyLib-based applications. It is not a general-purpose Euphoria editor.
  • This IDE is written in 100% Euphoria source code, including the text editor, syntax highlighting, and context sensitive help, because i am a purist! (editor is not complete yet)
  • redy.cfg file sets up the Redy environment. It specifies paths to Euphoria, RedyLib, and Projects.
  • Projects folder contains RedyCode Projects, and each Project has one or more "apps" (exw files) that can be executed.
  • Each RedyCode project is in it's own folder, with a *.redy file to store project settings, and subfolders containing other files related to the project.
  • Source file editing, documentation editing, resource embedding, building executables, and building installers can all be done within RedyCode (far from fully implemented yet)
  • Multiple versions of Euphoria and RedyLib are supported and can be selected easily for testing different versions with your applications. (not fully implement yet, only default versions can be used currently)
  • RedyExec.exe program can run .exw files within the Redy projects, by using the Redy environment to set up the appropriate include paths and calling the appropriate version of euiw.exe. It can either run a specific app by command line (not implemented yet) or show a menu of Projects and Apps within projects.
  • The source of RedyCode itself is a RedyCode project, so you can edit RedyCode within RedyCode IDE by simply opening it's Project. Pretty cool, huh?
  • When you open RedyCode, it shows a list of Projects so you can open one quickly, as well as buttons to create a new project or open a project that is somewhere other than your Projects folder. Pretty convenient, right?
  • In a future version, it will be possible to download RedyCode projects directly from the website to your /projects/ folder, as well as new versions of RedyLib.
  • Documentation for RedyLib will be highly-integrated into RedyCode in a future version.

The source and exes is at: https://github.com/redy-project/RedyCode.

Or, you can download it from http://redy-project.org/files/RedyCode_1.0.0a.7z.

• IMPORTANT: Because this preview release is "fragile", it is recommended that you have a standard installation of Euphoria 4.x at C:\Euphoria\. If you do, RedyCode should be able to run apps correctly.
  • You should be able to simply unzip the .7z file and run RedyCode.exe. RedyLib and Projects folders are already included, so it should find them.
  • If you want to keep RedyCode on your computer, i recommend copying it to C:\RedyCode\. Eventually, there will be a nice installer/updater program.
  • This is only a preview release so don't be surprised if it crashes. It shouldn't screw up your files, but it may create folders and files within the RedyCode folder structure. I am not responsible for anything that RedyCode does to you file system!

I am happy to answer any questions and take any criticism or suggestions. I realize the total lack of documentation makes it difficult for the euphoria community to see my vision for this project. I hope i can find time to write some documentation for the next release. Here's a quick roadmap:

• In a few weeks, i hope RedyCode 1.0.0 alpha will be ready. It will be able to create and save source files.
  • In a few months, more advanced features such as context-sensitive code assistance, GUI layout editor, hypertext documentation, and download/update utility will start to be implemented a little at a time.
  • Perhaps in 6-12 months, once RedyCode has most features implemented and is stable, i will be able to use RedyCode IDE to make major improvements to RedyLib.
new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: RedyCode IDE - preview release

I already released a new version. Fixed a few bugs, and got rid of "resources" folder. Instead, a project can have images in a "source/images" folder by default. In a future version, RedyCode will be able to display image files, and can also embed them into a .e file so that an application can have images without dependending on external image files. Technically, this already works, but the code i have written hasn't been integrated into RedyCode yet.

There is another important new feature: if you double-click on an .exw file in a project's source tree, it will run that file with euiw.

The next step is to rewrite the text editor so it actually works. More exciting features coming soon! Keep an eye on https://github.com/redy-project/RedyCode - i will be committing changes frequently.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: RedyCode IDE - preview release

I made more improvements today.

• Added ability to call RedyExec.exe <projectfolder> <exwfile> from command line. For example, RedyExec Demos calendar.exw will run .\projects\Demos\source\calendar.exw using the default euphoria and redylib paths. This is handy for creating shortcuts to Redy apps, too. Simple create a shortcut to RedyExec.exe, then open the shortcut properties and add the project/app commandline to it.
  • Fixed listbox/fancylist selection crashbugs.
  • Added a bindredy.bat file to automate binding RedyCode.exe and RedyExec.exe and moving them to RedyCode root folder.

4. Re: RedyCode IDE - preview release

Looking good, can't wait to see the full release. I think Redy will be for the Euphoria community.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu