1. What has changed in Euphoria?

It's been years.

What has changed.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: What has changed in Euphoria?

It depends on how many years we're talking about. If you're new to Euphoria 4.0, start with the Version 4.0.0 Release Candidate 1 release notes.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: What has changed in Euphoria?

Hello Fendaril,

The develement team is pushing Ver.4. As they should, They have been working on and perfecting it for some time now. It has some new features I would like to have. It has GOTO. You can write

sequence answer="hello"

instead of

sequence answer
                           answer="hello"

These are many more features in the Ver.4 manual.

However for me these features would be nice to have but not worth the trouble converting from Ver.3.

For one thing Edita my favorite editor, dosen't jump to the error like it does with Ver.3.

You can transfer your Ver.3 programs to Ver.4 programs but it's not a walk in the park.

For me Ver.3 works for everything I need Euphoria for.

Don Cole

4. Re: What has changed in Euphoria?

Hi Dan

You make it sound like there's a huge gulf between eu3 and eu4.

In my experience, all eu3 programs run with eu4, the changes that you need to make are just changing some variable names, and that doesn't take long with a replace all in a text editor. The interpreter will tell you when it's run.

For instance, a variable name of label was legal in eu3, but it's a reserved word in eu4.

The advantages are that it's easier code to write (more functions etc, eg switch / case). The disadvantage is the interpreted speed start up, though this disappears when you bind the program.

GOTO's are dangerous, I use them rarely and only for short hops (although there are people that love them, and I wouldn't stop those that wish to use them from using them)

I actually have a very long running program, that was started with eu3, and has migrated to eu4 (without a re-write) that actually uses old eu3 library includes AND eu4 standard library includes - I have to use namespaces sometimes, but again I gain the advantages of simplicity of writing, and maintainance.

I'm actually looking forward to memstructs when it becomes mainstream. Next, who knows, an embedded C interpreter.

Cheers

Chris

5. Re: What has changed in Euphoria?

ChrisB said...
DonCole said...

You can transfer your Ver.3 programs to Ver.4 programs but it's not a walk in the park.

Hi Dan

You make it sound like there's a huge gulf between eu3 and eu4.

In my experience, all eu3 programs run with eu4, the changes that you need to make are just changing some variable names, and that doesn't take long with a replace all in a text editor.

I concur with ChrisB here - it's basically a walk in the park.

DonCole said...

For one thing Edita my favorite editor, dosen't jump to the error like it does with Ver.3.

I don't think the ex.err file format has changed, so I'm not sure why this would be the case.

DonCole said...

For me Ver.3 works for everything I need Euphoria for.

If that's all you need, then I'm happy for you and I see no need for you to change anything that you are doing.

However, others outside of the community have seen the problems with ver 3 of Euphoria before - for example, this thread: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/127812.wc#127812

The post itself (still available at http://web.archive.org/web/20150505021422/httphttp://codehereandthere.blogspot.com/2015/05/lets-design-horrible-language.html ) appears to be a critique of ver 3 - e.g. the inability to test if a variable is unset (but we have that with object() in 4.0), the less-than-elegant way of reading in a file (but in 4.0 we have better methods like read_lines() in std/io.e), and so on.

You may not want or need these extra features, and that's fine. But many outside of the community clearly do - that's the reason why they won out in the first place.

6. Re: What has changed in Euphoria?

I find it interesting that his latest post about his own language is pretty derogatory too.

Pete

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu