I see euphoria as an optionally typed language:

--strictly typed variables 
atom a = 1, b = 2 
sequence s = {} 
--can be anything 
object o; 

The type information lets the compiler generate optimised bytecode:

atom a = 1, b = 2 
--here the compiler know ahead of time that a, b and c are numbers, no need to emit bytecode that perform runtime type check! 
atom c = a + b 

Why do we have this kind of type anotation if sequences and functions are always generic? Mixing sequence indexing and function calls in a expression defeats the purpose of type anotation:

function foo() 
  sequence s = {{1},2} 
  return s[2] 
end function 

--compiler dont know what foo returns ahead of time 
atom a = 1 + foo() 

Sequences are the main form of data struct representation, so its common to use sequence subscripts everywere.

--Type information have limited advantage something like this is more consistent: 
var a = 1 
var s = {} 

What do you think?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

elias_maluko said...

Why do we have this kind of type anotation if sequences and functions are always generic?

The compiler uses a (constant/)type propagation scheme which probably does a better job than you imagine. Suppose you have a function x(object y) and there is only one call to it: f(5). The compiler deduces that y is only ever an integer in the range 5 to 5. It even knows when a sequence contains only integers, and therefore that s[i] yields an integer. I gleefully plagiarized and extended some of the ideas in Euphoria for Phix, if you are interested they are in pltype.e which you can find at https://bitbucket.org/petelomax/phix/src - but be warned I found that code the hardest thing to get right out of the lot. I completely forget where the equivalent code in OpenEuphoria is, maybe someone else can point you at that.

If you think of something even mildly difficult, then admittedly the compiler will probably not get it right, but the dumb obvious cases (easily over 90%) can and do make a huge difference.

elias_maluko said...

Mixing sequence indexing and function calls in a expression defeats the purpose of type anotation:

function foo() 
  sequence s = {{1},2} 
  return s[2] 
end function 

--compiler dont know what foo returns ahead of time 
atom a = 1 + foo() 

In which case why not write

function foo() 
  sequence s = {{1},2} 
  atom res = s[2] 
  return res 
end function 

In (simpler) cases where the compiler has managed to get the type propagation right, it will even omit the unnecessary type-check, and in that case there is absolutely no performance difference whatsoever between using an explicit res variable and the hidden un-named temp variable that the compiler would otherwise have to use anyway.

elias_maluko said...
--Type information have limited advantage something like this is more consistent: 

As above, I beg to differ

elias_maluko said...
var a = 1 
var s = {} 

Now that I don't follow. Is that supposed to be somehow different to:

object a = 1 
object s = {} 

One last thing:

In the Phix manual, I said...

You could theoretically write an entire application declaring all variables and parameters as type object, except that it would probably not catch errors the way you might expect it to.

Regards,
Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

Hello Pete,
Very enlightening post, thanks.
Its nice to know that euphoria's compiler performs this kind of advanced type inference.
About Phix, i took a look at the site and could not understand how its different from euphoria (why should i use this instead of openeuphoria?).

4. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

elias_maluko said...

About Phix, i took a look at the site and could not understand how its different from euphoria (why should i use this instead of openeuphoria?).

There are plenty of reasons to stick with OpenEuphoria - it works on more platforms, it has more features, more people working on it, etc.

There is nothing to stop you trying Phix on the same computer, but if you run pgui/Settings, make sure you understand how to undo any changes you make that could affect OpenEuphoria, namely select merge undo.reg from the dropdown and click OK.

I might suggest the following reasons why someone might prefer to use Phix: smaller install, easier to modify and rebuild, threads, direct comparison (eg name="pete"), variable length slice substitution, automatic includes, and named parameters. There's also a new properly short-circuited iff() construct that I'm starting to find very useful, and a nifty little scanf() routine. There are also reasons to stay away.

There is nothing wrong with the two co-existing, quite the opposite I hope.

Pete

5. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

There are lots of ideas out there for EUPHORIA, but also many bugs. Squash the bugs first.

6. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

SDPringle said...

There are lots of ideas out there for EUPHORIA, but also many bugs. Squash the bugs first.

I don't think that this works... the problem is, it looks like it is more fun to add new features to the language than it is to fix the bugs in the older stuff.

We put a feature freeze on 4.1.0 for exactly this reason, only to see the release of 4.1.0 held up indefinitely.

I think we should adopt the linux-next idea ( http://sourceforge.net/p/rapideuphoria/mailman/rapideuphoria-develop/thread/20110130234809.GA29676%40jbrown.linuxbuddhist.net/#msg26983630 ) - create a branch for the stable 4.1.0 release and then open up the openeu-next branch for rapid development (and rapid breakage).

That said, I also like the committee idea ( http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/128867.wc ) . I think maybe we should appoint a committee to be responsible for releasing 4.1.0-RC1 and maybe even 4.1.0-final by a set date (say X-mas 2015).

7. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

I have been using the February version included with JM DURO's AIO installer. Euphoria's toolkit contains also a "shrouder", and another backend written in EUPHORIA. I doubt these are 100% correct considering they are not part of the Unit testing. Then consider eudis, which we don't have tests for either.

A declarative typing system like what is available in C + + that can work along with the runtime typing system would improve code quality. The lack of C like structures, but not memstructs, would also improve quality of the project itself. If you want to improve start with these.

Structures do not have to be poking and peeking memory but be aliases for numeric indexing for example:

structure rgb 
    integer red 
    integer green 
    integer blue 
end structure 

rgb fgcolor = {0,0,0} 
fgcolor.red = #FE -- means fgcolor[1] = #FE 
fgcolor.green = #3B -- means fgcolor[2] = #38 
fgcolor.blue = #60 

sequence s = {0,0,0} 
s[1] = 0 -- okay 
s.red = 0 -- error (must declare s as rgb) 

And yes, function definitions ought to have obligatory types. You could always declare them with object but if you force the user to declare what type it returns he will declare hopefully something.

8. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

SDPringle said...

Structures do not have to be poking and peeking memory but be aliases for numeric indexing for example:

structure rgb  
    integer red  
    integer green  
    integer blue  
end structure  

rgb fgcolor = {0,0,0}  
fgcolor.red = #FE -- means fgcolor[1] = #FE  
fgcolor.green = #3B -- means fgcolor[2] = #38  
fgcolor.blue = #60  

sequence s = {0,0,0}  
s[1] = 0 -- okay  
s.red = 0 -- error (must declare s as rgb)  

Shawn you just read my mind on this one. I was thinking in this a bit different:

type rgb 
    integer red 
    integer green 
    integer blue 
end type 

I mean, replacing euphoria's 'type as function' by this.

SDPringle said...

And yes, function definitions ought to have obligatory types. You could always declare Them with object but if you force the user to declare what type it returns he will declare hopefully something.

What about the syntax for function type definition? Maybe something like Basic :o)

function foo () as integer 
  return 123 
end function 

Combining this new kind o type definition and function return declaration could speedup interpretation code and simplify the compiler.

9. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

elias_maluko said...

What about the syntax for function type definition? Maybe something like Basic :o)

return 123 
end function 

Combining this new kind o type definition and function return declaration could speedup interpretation code and simplify the compiler.

Is speed a problem now? C also has syntax for specifying the returned type. Any sum or product of two integers may result in an atom. Since 4.0, any bitwise operation on two integers may result in a atom. So the language would still need to check for the values being integer after each operation to really be correct after pretty much any binary operation between integers.

The type declaration on a function means you need another type check operation just before returning the value to the caller. It would not be faster but it will result code mistakes being caught before testing.

SD Pringle

10. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

return 123 
end function 

The compiler will figure that out anyway. I maintain that the correct syntax for this (and more complex cases) is

function foo () 
integer res 
  res = 123 
  return res 
end function 

The problem, as I see it, with an "as xxx" clause is that should your function yield say either some udt or {}, you've got problems explicitly specifying that in an as clause, whereas if you just let the compiler figure it out, it'll do a better job.

Consider also something like:

constant DEBUG = 0 
function foo () 
  if DEBUG then 
    return {1,2,3} 
  end if 
  return 0 
end function 

It is trivial for the compiler to spot the result is always 0 when DEBUG is 0, and utterly ludicrous to attempt to encapsulate that info in an as clause.

(something like function foo() as iff(DEBUG=0?integer[0..0]:sequence[length 3..3]of integer)?! - and yes, that info is all something that the compiler already collects)

11. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

I don't really mind if there is an extra type check before a function returns, and that's fine. That's all it means.

function goo() as integer 
    return 123 
end function 

This means

CHECK that 123 is a Euphoria integer 
   return that integer 

So, we have a procedural type system in EUPHORIA. I am suggesting we have also a declarative type system. Something that is checked at parse time.

rgb foo = {2,4,5} 
sequence goo = foo -- okay 
foo = goo -- error. 

SD Pringle

12. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

SDPringle said...
rgb foo = {2,4,5} 
foo = goo -- error. 

Can you post a better example than that, because it shouldn't generate a run-time error and it shouldn't generate a compile-time error.

The thing is, you've just told the compiler that goo is an rgb, and indeed it is an rgb. In fact, as written you have a problem on line *1*: error: storing a sequence in a variable declared as rgb.

If you're thinking that you can only put an rgb in a variable declared as rgb into another variable declared as rgb, then we have another big problem: once you put anything into a sequence, you have no way to ever get it back out.

Pete

13. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

petelomax said...
SDPringle said...
rgb foo = {2,4,5} 
foo = goo -- error. 

Can you post a better example than that, because it shouldn't generate a run-time error and it shouldn't generate a compile-time error.

The thing is, you've just told the compiler that goo is an rgb, and indeed it is an rgb. In fact, as written you have a problem on line *1*: error: storing a sequence in a variable declared as rgb.

If you're thinking that you can only put an rgb in a variable declared as rgb into another variable declared as rgb, then we have another big problem: once you put anything into a sequence, you have no way to ever get it back out.

Pete

Well, we could require this:

rgb foo = <cast_as(rgb)>{2,4,5} -- okay 
foo = <cast_as(rgb)>goo -- okay 
foo = goo -- compile time error. 
foo = <cast_as(rgb)>"not an rgb" -- (run-time?) error. 

Thinking it over, I don't really want to go down that route, but some other languages do require this...

14. Re: Euphoria's inconsistent typing

jimcbrown said...
petelomax said...
SDPringle said...
rgb foo = {2,4,5} 
foo = goo -- error. 

Pete

Well, we could require this:

rgb foo = <cast_as(rgb)>{2,4,5} -- okay 
foo = <cast_as(rgb)>goo -- okay 
foo = goo -- compile time error. 
foo = <cast_as(rgb)>"not an rgb" -- (run-time?) error. 

Thinking it over, I don't really want to go down that route, but some other languages do require this...

I see, these points are right. I mean, the procedural UDT just checks things at run time only (EUPHORIA style). Cpp style declarative types things get checked at parse time. EUPHORIA 5.0 could have both.

You're right about not being able to get your objects back out once you put it into something that doesn't have a declarative type unless you have casting. In this example, goo should be also declared as rgb. Now if you cast a string which has a length different from the length of a rgb to rgb, arguably this should be a runtime error.

Now, array like syntax which just means a sequence where the parser knows and enforces each member of this sequence is a rgb gives us a way to have sequences of rgb in a safe way.

So in designing a language feature like this there are many possibilities:

Consider another structure

structure hsv 
   integer hue; 
   integer saturation; 
   integer value; 
end structure 

Strict typing like outlined above. structures are like inherited from the built-in type of sequence.

rgb foo =  {1,2,3} -- error 
hsv baz = foo -- error 
goo = baz -- okay 

Non strict between non-declarative type to declarative type but strict between declarative types

rgb foo = {1,2,3} -- okay 
hsv baz = foo -- error 
goo = baz -- okay 

You don't want people interpreting hsv values as rgb values or vice versa.

SD Pringle

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu