1. Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

After adding the custom Euphoria lexer to the The Euphoria Editor, I get a segfault when exiting the application. The "signal" part is always different and there is no trailing right parenthesis, which seems really strange to me. I feel this may have to do with the Scintilla library dynamically loading my custom LexerEuphoria.so library, but I'm not confident in that guess. It may be a bug in the interpreter. It does not occur when I translate to C. I am using the latest 4.1.0 64-bit available on the Downloads page. I went so far as to compile eui with debugging and run that through gdb, but I don't get a very useful backtrace after the application exits.

Application output:

~/Projects/editor/bin$ eui ../src/editor.ex  
Fatal run-time error: 
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement (signal 156 

GDB backtrace:

(gdb) backtrace 
#0  0x00007ffff10111d0 in ?? () 
#1  0x00000000011dad70 in ?? () 
#2  0x00007ffff0e6114b in ?? () 
#3  0x00000000011dad70 in ?? () 
#4  0x00007ffff7ffd948 in _rtld_global () from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 
#5  0x0000000000000001 in ?? () 
#6  0x0000000000ff2d80 in ?? () 
#7  0x00000000011dad70 in ?? () 
#8  0x00007ffff0e612e7 in ?? () 
#9  0x00000000017e3f00 in ?? () 
#10 0x00007ffff125d758 in ?? () 
#11 0x00007ffff76b7f20 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 
#12 0x00007ffff0e61346 in ?? () 
#13 0x0000000000000001 in ?? () 
#14 0x0000000000000000 in ?? () 

I just created directions for Running from Source in order to help with testing this from the latest source. I wrote the directions from memory, so if they are incorrect, let me know and I will fix them. Hopefully somebody can help with this because I am out of my element on debugging with the interpreter.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

Hi Greg, I followed your instructions, and the editor works. The Euphoria lexer seems to be ok, since functions can be folded. But when I close the editor, I don't get a segfault. Ubuntu 15.04, 64-bit.

Edit: the only difference is that I have to run it from the src directory: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../bin eui editor.ex

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

PeteE said...

Hi Greg, I followed your instructions, and the editor works. The Euphoria lexer seems to be ok, since functions can be folded. But when I close the editor, I don't get a segfault. Ubuntu 15.04, 64-bit.

Interesting. I just ran a test on test VM running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and got the segfault I expected. I will try a few other distros see what I get.

Maybe it's actually a libc problem since that's what my backtrace was pointing to. That would also explain why I don't see a machine-level crash on Windows.

PeteE said...

Edit: the only difference is that I have to run it from the src directory: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../bin eui editor.ex

Yes, you have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use local shared libraries. But that's what editor.cmd and editor.sh do for you automatically. I updated the Running from Source document to better reflect this.

-Greg

4. Re: Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

ghaberek said...
PeteE said...

Yes, you have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use local shared libraries. But that's what editor.cmd and editor.sh do for you automatically. I updated the Running from Source document to better reflect this.

As an aside, the permanent fix for this problem is to include -Wl,--rpath=./ in the LDFLAGS option when building the interpreter.

You can add this parameter when translating an application to prevent having to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, e.g.

euc -extra-lflags "-Wl,--rpath=./" -i ../include ../src/editor.ex

I will be doing this when I start providing binary releases and installers for the editor.

-Greg

5. Re: Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

Does the issue occur on a 32bit interpreter too?

6. Re: Segmentation fault on exit on Linux

jimcbrown said...

Does the issue occur on a 32bit interpreter too?

Yes. I just threw together a Lubuntu 14.04 32-bit machine and got almost the same result.

The only difference is that the run-time error includes the correct signal and the right parenthesis.

Fatal run-time error: 
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement (signal 11) 

I pulled Beta for Testing: Euphoria 4.1.0 Beta 2 from the Downloads page.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu