1. What problems does an Official IDE or Toolkit solve?

Forked from Re: Is there a good Windows or cross-platform Euphoria IDE?

xecronix said...

A couple of days in and this where we are now.

• What toolkit to include with OpenEuphoira? TODO
  • What IDE should be included with OpenEuphoria? At this point, is it fair to say that the IDE included with OpenEuphoria should be something like The Euphoria Editor or WEE?
  • How to make sure that the official toolkit and IDE will work on each platform it's is installed on? TODO
  • Come up with a list of problems that are solved by having a toolkit and/or IDE included with OpenEuphoria. TODO: The reason for this list of problems is so that we know when/if we have a complete solution. This list should be driven by community input.
  • Compare the available options to see how they can help solve these problems. TODO
  • Consider what new problems the solution causes. TODO: The most likely problems will include multi-platform deployment of the solution and maintainers for both code and packaging.
  • Pick a solution. TODO: But an early front runner is IUP and The Euphoria Editor

As part of the effort of choosing an Official IDE and GUI Toolkit, I'd like to ask the community for your concerns related to the topic. I'm trying to compile a list of concerns so that as we're looking at choosing an official IDE/toolkit as many concerns as possible are addressed. Here are some of my concerns:

IDE:

• Simple tool to help teach new OpenEuphoria developers to code.
  • No generic multi-platform IDE (that I know of) has the OpenEuphoria code completion options or function definition hints that WEE has today.

TOOLKIT: I cant write GUI programs for multiple platforms without this unless:

• I have access to computers with the target OS
  • I'm willing to write native UI for each target.

OR

• My end user is willing to install an existing toolkit

OR

• I write an installer for my program that installs the toolkit (again for each target OS and perhaps several derivatives)

In my opinion, one of the best reasons to use a scripting language to program with is because platform specific problems (including GUI) are usually solved ahead of time.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: What problems does an Official IDE or Toolkit solve?

Here are my concerns in no particular order:

• We have to make it easy to learn the language.
    • better documentation
    • code-assistant editor
    • practical example code
  • We have to make it easy to get help when you need it.
    • larger community
    • good FAQ section
    • cookbook or patterns library
  • We have to make it easy to distribute applications.
    • precompiled libraries for all supported platforms
    • documentation for common installers and package managers
    • good advice for installing on Linux and OSX
  • We have to make it easy to interface with other systems.
    • add support for common file formats (JSON, XML, etc.)
    • add support for common database systems (MySQL, Postcards, Sqlite)
    • add support for common protocols (HTTP, FTP, IMAP, SMTP, etc.)
    • add support for strong security (SSL, TLS, AES, etc.)

All of these things should be easy to get via the IDE or a package management solution (a la NuGet).

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu