1. Network AIO installer

Taking the flawed but promising All In One installer, I modified it so it will work on all Linuxes (I hope) and changed it so it will be tiny and download what it needs. This installer should work for any Linux 32-bit or 64-bit.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/net_install.tgz

I invite you all to try it, if and only if you trust Jean-Marc DURO and myself because the eu41 binaries are his. The binary for installation is 32-bit, but it will download the 64-bit stuff for the installation. We should wait for some good reviews before it gets posted on the home page this time. It works well on my system and that means NOTHING about whether it will work on yours. ;)

So, if you do try it whether or not the install is successful, post whether the installer works, which Linux locale you are using, which distribution, and which register size (32-bit or 64-bit).

Shawn Pringle

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Network AIO installer

What is the big secret?

It would be a lot easier to trust the installer if the source code was distributed rather than a binary. The README actually refers to a "net-install.ex".

I tried to install Duro's previous posting on net-install on my Ubunto 15.04 system locale U.S. and got some error message. You are asking a lot for someone to blindly trust someone who is gonna screw around with the root file system. So why not distribute the source code to the installer?

Now you have modified his Duro's flawed system. What modifications did you make? Why are you guy's so secretive?

Ken Rhodes

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Network AIO installer

Secrecy was not the intention. I am going to update it this with one that includes source code. The binary is there because it is for use on systems that do not already have Euphoria installed. In the case where you have 4.0 installed, you can just run the source with the interpreter.

For example:

eui net_install.ex /opt/euphoria-4.1 

4. Re: Network AIO installer

Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   64-bit Linux, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: 2013-04-15 22:28:34, Id: 6112:ca9cd0a77eff 

Using Duro's net-install, I somehow ended up with a 4.1 binary from 2013! I hope this is item your version replaces with the most up to date 4.1 release.

Your efforts and that of Duro are appreciated.

Ken

5. Re: Network AIO installer

More bad news. The installer fails to download the whole file. So, you end up with a partial installation with this. This needs to be worked on some more before it is ready for others to pound on it some more.

Shawn

6. Re: Network AIO installer

K_D_R said...

Using Duro's net-install, I somehow ended up with a 4.1 binary from 2013! I hope this is item your version replaces with the most up to date 4.1 release.

Your efforts and that of Duro are appreciated.

Ken

Thank you Ken,

Be careful. This binary from 2013 is based on memstruct, that's why it is not the latest. I can't guarantee Win32Lib working with another version, so I prefered to build a big archive instead of downloading components which may not well work together (Eu, Win32Lib & wxEuphoria).

I use this outdated version every day. It still works. As some people say, if it works don't change it!

Regards

Jean-Marc

7. Re: Network AIO installer

jmduro said...

Thank you Ken,

Be careful. This binary from 2013 is based on memstruct, that's why it is not the latest. I can't guarantee Win32Lib working with another version, so I prefered to build a big archive instead of downloading components which may not well work together (Eu, Win32Lib & wxEuphoria).

I use this outdated version every day. It still works. As some people say, if it works don't change it!

Regards

Jean-Marc

I understand your decisions and I appreciate your efforts and those of Shawn Pringle in producing the Network AIO Installer. I think the package description/documentation should note specifically that it does not work with Ubuntu because Ubuntu does not have a "root" user. I also think the docs/description should state clearly which version of Euphoria the installer uses and why, as you have done above.

I tried to edit the installation file to allow me to use the Network AIO installer, but only succeeded in screwing up my home directory's path. This was all my fault, of course.

Your work is appreciated,

Ken Rhodes

8. Re: Network AIO installer

How do you modify the /usr/local path if you don't have a root user?

SDPringle

9. Re: Network AIO installer

SDPringle said...

How do you modify the /usr/local path if you don't have a root user?

SDPringle

Using sudo.

Ubuntu does recognize the special powers of uid 0 - but /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow are specially configured to prevent a person from logging in as root via username/password.

10. Re: Network AIO installer

I use sudo, and when the script calls 'id -u', it returns 0. I don't think ubuntu would work differently than Mint in the behavior of GNU tools

SD Pringle

11. Re: Network AIO installer

SDPringle said...

I use sudo, and when the script calls 'id -u', it returns 0. I don't think ubuntu would work differently than Mint in the behavior of GNU tools

SD Pringle

It doesn't. Mint and Ubuntu disable root the same way: http://www.ehow.com/how_10044870_root-linux-mint.html

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu