1. Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

Hello everybody , I need a stable code for euGTK GUI Window example.

could you help me ? Have just installed euGTK.

I have this code for euphoria together with GTK. But there is a error message.

include GtkEngine.e  

constant win = create(GtkWindow,{  
    {"title","Simple Window"},  
    {"default size",300,200},  
    {"position",GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER}})  
    connect(win,"destroy","Quit")  

show_all(win)  
main() 

This is the error message :

c:\Euphoria\include\GtkEngine.e:1786 
<0132>:: Syntax error - expected to see possibly 'end', not '{' 
    {x,y,w,h} = peek4u({al,4}) 
    ^ 

Press Enter 

Regards Hans

PS. Haven't seen a longer time my friends.

Edit: added <eucode> and {{{/}}} tags for you. -Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

han45 said...

Hello everybody , I need a stable code for euGTK GUI Window example.

c:\Euphoria\include\GtkEngine.e:1786 
<0132>:: Syntax error - expected to see possibly 'end', not '{' 
    {x,y,w,h} = peek4u({al,4}) 

That version of euGTK is for OpenEuphoria 4.1 pre-release.

The error message means you are using 4.0.6 or earlier. So your version is too old to run that version of euGTK.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

Sorry, I think this is the only instance where I let 4.1 code slip thru. You can edit the line to assign the return to an object (temp, perhaps), then let x=temp[1], y=temp[2], etc.

4. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

Thank you very much.

I have installed the new euphoria version.

There is another error message here.

Programm Code :

include GtkEngine.e  

constant win = create(GtkWindow,{  
    {"title","Simple Window"},  
    {"default size",300,200},  
    {"position",GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER}})  
    connect(win,"destroy","Quit")  

show_all(win)  
main() 

Error Message :

Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libgtk-3-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libgdk-3-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libgobject-2.0-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libpango-1.0-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libcairo-2.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libpangocairo-1.0-0.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libpng15-15.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\librsvg-2-2.dll 
Error loading C:\gtk\bin\libgio-2.0-0.dll 

c:\Euphoria\include\GtkEngine.e:94 
true/false condition must be an ATOM 

--> See ex.err 

Press Enter... 

Could you help me in thsi case ?

Regards hans

Edit: added <eucode> and {{{/}}} tags for you. -Greg

5. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

According to the error message, the question is: Do you have GTK installed in c:\gtk with the architecture that corresponds to EuGTK? (32 or 64 bit dlls in c:\gtk\bin).

On EuGTK web page, I can read:

Windows users can download the appropriate GTK3 libraries (32 or 64-bit) from gtk.org/download and unzip them into a new C:\gtk directory. Then read the instructions and run the setup programs which are found in the C:\gtk\bin subdirectory. Unless you run these 4 setup programs, you won't have access to the right fonts, and er.. other Windows stuff.

So GTK is not bundled with EuGTK. You have to install it separately.

Regards

Jean-Marc

6. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

Both euphoria and the gtk windows dlls must match (32 or 64 bits), and there are 3 or 4 small scripts which should be run to set up the gtk windoes dlls. Instructions are in the gtk download . If you are running windows 8 there may be other problems such as permissions.

7. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

irv said...

Both euphoria and the gtk windows dlls must match (32 or 64 bits), and there are 3 or 4 small scripts which should be run to set up the gtk windoes dlls. Instructions are in the gtk download . If you are running windows 8 there may be other problems such as permissions.

Yeah, we've all got the time to download and install 12 (TWELVE!!!) packages and figure out which scripts to run.

The page to which we are directed specifically states

gtk.org said...

This page is not intended directly for end-users. It is expected that people who build installers for GTK+ applications for Windows bundle GTK+ with them.

8. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

petelomax said...

gtk.org said...

This page is not intended directly for end-users. It is expected that people who build installers for GTK+ applications for Windows bundle GTK+ with them.

Right, I don't see what the issue is here. The user of euGTK will create an application (like a text editor) and bundle GTK+ with it in that application's installer. In this case, the end user is not the user of euGTK (who is a developer of code), but the user of the application that uses euGTK.

Not saying that having a version of euGTK pre-bundled wouldn't make life any easier, mind you. The likely reason for this is that Irv doesn't develop on Windoze, and thus can't test such a bundle. So someone else would have to step up to fill the gap.

9. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

jimcbrown said...
petelomax said...

gtk.org said...

Not saying that having a version of euGTK pre-bundled wouldn't make life any easier, mind you. The likely reason for this is that Irv doesn't develop on Windoze, and thus can't test such a bundle. * So someone else would have to step up to fill the gap. *

And that someone should be the Euphoria Developers. This is especially true if Ed Eberlein's marvelous EuGTK editor is intended to be incorporated as a part of the official OpenEuphoria distribution package. I realize that the development team is spread thin, but the bottom line is that the lack of an efficient, easy to use GUI has strangled Euphoria's adoption. Irv Mullins EuGTK and the WEE EuGTK editor are magnificent and much-needed tools for the Euphoria language which should be fully exploited. Since the vast majority of Euphoria user's develop on Windows, it would be wise for the developers to facilitate the implementation of EuGTK as much as possible. REDY isn't ready. WxEuphoria has failed to stimulate much interest, is more difficult to use than EuGTK, and I suspect it is as difficult, if not more difficult, to support WxEuphoria than EuGTK.

Right now EuGTK is Euphoria's only GUI Quarterback capable of scoring. If we don't get the ball to the Quarterback, game over.

Regards, Ken Rhodes

10. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

K_D_R said...

And that someone should be the Euphoria Developers.

I don't see that 'should' makes sense. OTOH if one of the devs wanted to do it, I don't think there would be any objections. The main issue is lack of time from the members of the dev team.

K_D_R said...

This is especially true if Ed Eberlein's marvelous EuGTK editor is intended to be incorporated as a part of the official OpenEuphoria distribution package.

Huh, does wee not bundle GTK already? I assumed that it did.

K_D_R said...

I realize that the development team is spread thin, but the bottom line is that the lack of an efficient, easy to use GUI has strangled Euphoria's adoption.

I agree that it probably hasn't helped matters. But adopting one now isn't going to magically make Euphoria more popular either.

K_D_R said...

Right now EuGTK is Euphoria's only GUI Quarterback capable of scoring. If we don't get the ball to the Quarterback, game over.

Regards, Ken Rhodes

I think there are other options like EuIUP. And REDY shows great promise once it's ready for prime time.

11. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

Hi

K_D_R said...

This is especially true if Ed Eberlein's marvelous EuGTK editor is intended to be incorporated as a part of the official OpenEuphoria distribution package.

jimcbrown said...

Huh, does wee not bundle GTK already? I assumed that it did.

No, WEE does not bundle GTK. And there is no need to bundle GTK with WEE. WEE uses the WinAPI on Windows and GTK only for the *ix machines. GTK should be allready on the *ix machines i think.

Andreas

12. Re: Need a GUI code that already runs together with euGTK !

I managed to get quite a bit further, after I uninstalled an old (Gtk 2.0?) pygtk, which did the whole Benjamin Button thing on me (Time remaining 10s; 1min; 2 min; 58min) before dutifully counting down from 59s to 1s, but taking ~25mins to do so.

Any comment on what any of these mean? In terms of installation being up the swanny, that is.

Gtk-WARNING **: accessibility action on a widget that does not implement AtkAction 
Pango-WARNING **: couldn't load font "Cantarell Not-Rotated 20", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 20", expect ugly output. 
Gdk-WARNING **: gdkselection-win32.c:1195: OpenClipboard failed: Access is denied. 
Gdk-WARNING **: gdkwindow-win32.c:1833: SetWindowLongPtr failed: Invalid window handle. 
Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to show 'http://www.google.com/': No application is registered as handling this file 
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed 
GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_app_info_equal: assertion `G_IS_APP_INFO (appinfo1)' failed 
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed 
Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_set_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `icon_set != NULL' failed 
Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_reorder_child: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed 

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu