1. Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

As discussed in another thread, we need some mid/large sized Euphoria program to be commented and analyzed as a case study of Euphoria programming. It would serve as a tutorial for language learners. Someone suggested that Wee was ideal for this purpose, being the premier Euphoria program nowadays, surrounded by much enthusiasm in the community. So, I guess that if we chose Wee many people would be willing to contribute to commenting its code.

Is anyone (perhaps its author) willing to start this project?

P.S. it could be managed as a wiki-based community project

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

GreenEuphorian said...

As discussed in another thread, we need some mid/large sized Euphoria program to be commented and analyzed as a case study of Euphoria programming. It would serve as a tutorial for language learners.

"mid/large sized" and "beginner" are conflicting. You are asking something for people who already know the basis of the language and want to do more.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

It's not just for "beginners". There's a big gap between "Hello World" and an actual real-life useful program. WEE is a good example to use - almost everyone understands what an editor is supposed to do, so that doesn't have to be explained in detail; WEE is cross-platform, uses a lot of Euphoria functions, is somewhat modular in design, etc.

I volunteer to comment or otherwise explain the Linux/OS X part.

4. Re: Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

Yes, you are both right. I should have said for intermediate learners. We need something that would be the next step to take after reading the Rosetta Code examples.

5. Re: Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

irv said...

WEE is cross-platform, uses a lot of Euphoria functions, is somewhat modular in design, etc.

Is WEE already mature enough that a tutorial could be based on it?

6. Re: Wee as a textbook case study of Euphoria programming, serving as a tutorial

GreenEuphorian said...
irv said...

WEE is cross-platform, uses a lot of Euphoria functions, is somewhat modular in design, etc.

Is WEE already mature enough that a tutorial could be based on it?

Define mature. WEE works as well as Geany, which was my preferred editor previously. And Geany works (in my opinion) much better than the alternatives. I now use WEE almost exclusively.

So yes, with some code reorganization and commenting, I'd say it would be a good example with enough variety to be useful.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu