1. Raspberry Pi

Raspberrry Pi is (I am told - do your own googling!) a small circuitboard with modern stuff including USB and other links - price less than £30 - intended to replace old computers like Sinclair Spectrum: the aim is to stimulate amateur and kid's programming: they say this interest is declining. The buyer must provide a keyboard, a TV(?), a mouse - but can use e.g. BBC BASIC ( a card must also be provided, with a Linux distro and a bit of permanent store space). Perhaps there'll be some unexpected inventions with a cheap "toy" like this. I'm going for more info.

POINT OF ALL THIS? Doesn't it sound like an opportunity to push Euphoria a bit? Needs someone a bit more "with it" than myself though! Any interest?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Raspberry Pi

A link those who are out of the loop: raspberrypi.org

I am much looking forward to this. I have not yet placed an order. I'm waiting things out because usually you see a lot of early revision changes in hardware like this (think Arduino, etc.) I do plan on getting one and loading it up with Debian and Euphoria and seeing where that takes me. One thing I am really curious about is the GPIO pins. If we can use those directly from Euphoria, then we've got a cheap little programmable hardware device in our midst.
grin

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Raspberry Pi

ghaberek said...

I am much looking forward to this. I have not yet placed an order. I'm waiting things out because usually you see a lot of early revision changes in hardware like this (think Arduino, etc.) I do plan on getting one and loading it up with Debian and Euphoria and seeing where that takes me. One thing I am really curious about is the GPIO pins. If we can use those directly from Euphoria, then we've got a cheap little programmable hardware device in our midst.
grin

-Greg

I suspect the main road block will be the C compiler that is supplied with it. If its a recent release of gcc then we should be in a good position.

4. Re: Raspberry Pi

I ordered one on the release day, but they sold out within minutes, I believe they run on linux and have python as the programming environment, they are targeted at schools to get youngsters interested in coding again, like in the days of BBC basic, It would be good if Euphoria was the coding environment instead of python, ( or as well as) it would give Euphoria the place it deserves, but how you go about that ??????.

5. Re: Raspberry Pi

DerekParnell said...

I suspect the main road block will be the C compiler that is supplied with it. If its a recent release of gcc then we should be in a good position.

You can download Debian Squeeze from their site to load directly onto the device. Debian Squeeze includes gcc 4.4 which should work just fine (correct me if I am wrong, I often am about C/C++ programming).

johnrpm said...

I ordered one on the release day, but they sold out within minutes, I believe they run on linux and have python as the programming environment, they are targeted at schools to get youngsters interested in coding again, like in the days of BBC basic, It would be good if Euphoria was the coding environment instead of python, ( or as well as) it would give Euphoria the place it deserves, but how you go about that ??????.

It's a Linux environment just like everything else. If we can compile Euphoria for ARM (which we can) then we can build a deb (Debian) or pacman (Arch Linux) package to easily distribute it to other Raspberry Pi users. From there it's a matter of documentation (which we have) and examples/tutorials (which we are working on).

-Greg

6. Re: Raspberry Pi

Looks like their production was recently delayed. sad

-Greg

7. Re: Raspberry Pi

ghaberek said...

You can download Debian Squeeze from their site to load directly onto the device. Debian Squeeze includes gcc 4.4 which should work just fine (correct me if I am wrong, I often am about C/C++ programming).

I agree! I've cross-compiled the Euphoria arm branch using Code Sourcery GCC which is based on 4.5.2, and the produced binaries work well in QEMU for the Debian image. I'm also going to test out the Arch image, but there shouldn't be any difference as far as Euphoria is concerned!

ghaberek said...

One thing I am really curious about is the GPIO pins. If we can use those directly from Euphoria, then we've got a cheap little programmable hardware device in our midst.

This would be fantastic! I was planning to wrap the necessary C calls for GPIO access, but native Euphoria support would be great.

Thanks,
Ira

8. Re: Raspberry Pi

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking/

World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Unprotected network jacks spark delay fears

By Chris Williams

Posted in PCs & Chips, 8th March 2012 15:24 GMT

Shipments of the long-awaited and heavily fought over Raspberry Pi boards could be delayed thanks to a manufacturing cock-up.

[edited to avoid copyright infringement. -matt]

9. Re: Raspberry Pi

I have remote access to a Raspberry Pi alpha board running the fedora f14 remix and I just tried the http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/linux/4.1.0/arm-32-bit/eubin-arm-cortex-a8-2012-01-13-ee49c6b8a340.tar.gz binaries on it.

It's a bit on the slow side but it does run.

Press Enter...[ukscone@raspi demo]$ cd bench 
[ukscone@raspi bench]$ ls 
sieve8k.ex  sieve8k.pro  sieve8k.pro2 
[ukscone@raspi bench]$ eui sieve8k.ex 
Prime Sieve Benchmark 
Count: 1028, Largest: 8191 
time: 141.11 
Prime Sieve Benchmark 
time: 59.75 
Prime Sieve Benchmark 
time: 57.49 
[ukscone@raspi bench]$ 

10. Re: Raspberry Pi

oh and before i forget.

[ukscone@raspi bench]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l) 
BogoMIPS        : 697.95 
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
CPU implementer : 0x41 
CPU architecture: 7 
CPU variant     : 0x0 
CPU part        : 0xb76 
CPU revision    : 7 

Hardware        : BCM2708 
Revision        : 0000 
Serial          : 0000000000000000 
[ukscone@raspi bench]$ 

11. Re: Raspberry Pi

and a quick & dirty video of it running :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMixJbJCfS8

12. Re: Raspberry Pi

rkdavis said...

and a quick & dirty video of it running :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMixJbJCfS8

Cool!

Matt

13. Re: Raspberry Pi

rkdavis said...

Congrats on it running! But i am concerned about the sieve8k test taking 57 seconds? I just ran it on a 12 year old 2.4Ghz desktop computer, and it was done almost instantly. The Pi is running 700Mhz, i expected faster code execution from it. Any idea what is holding it back?

Have you been able to plug into your lan and get online with it?

useless

14. Re: Raspberry Pi

ghaberek said...

grin

-Greg

I agree completely. Internet access via the ethernet port, control of the gpio pins, plus access to it running with a monitor, keybd, and mouse? For $25? Incredible. Sure beats the Arduino. But it does seem very slow for 700Mhz, and i wonder if the sieve8k test performed is ssd-thrashing?

useless

15. Re: Raspberry Pi

I ran the same binaries on an ecafe slim hd netbook that is an 800mhz arm7 device and sieve8k took 26 to 27 seconds.

by the way the configure script needs a tiny tweak as the grep on the uname -s (line 63) should either be grep -i or check for arm rather than ARM as all the arm devices I have uname -s returns lowercase.

i don't have the ability to compile on the raspberrypi itself as it's a shared device with people doing "real" work on it but i'll rebuild the binaries using scratchbox2 and see if that helps

16. Re: Raspberry Pi

useless_ said...

Have you been able to plug into your lan and get online with it?

i'm using it over the internet via ssh

17. Re: Raspberry Pi

rkdavis said...

I ran the same binaries on an ecafe slim hd netbook that is an 800mhz arm7 device and sieve8k took 26 to 27 seconds.

Thanks for update on the Raspberry Pi! To add another data point, I ran the Sieve benchmark on my Nokia N900 with an ARMv7 Cortex-A8 overclocked to 805 MHz.

Prime Sieve Benchmark 
Count: 1028, Largets: 8191 
time: 27.51 

I know comparing different ARM architectures (ARMv6 to ARMv7) isn't apples to apples, but I was hoping the Pi would be comparable to my N900 CPU wise. I'm sure we'll find out more when they start shipping!

Thanks,
Ira

18. Re: Raspberry Pi

rkdavis said...

That gives me an idea. What if we could do something like

eui --profile

and eui runs through a battery of tests/benchmarks and spits out a standard result screen.

That could be cool. And useful.

19. Re: Raspberry Pi

euphoric said...

eui --profile

and eui runs through a battery of tests/benchmarks and spits out a standard result screen.

Something like this ...

eui tests/t_bundled.e 

20. Re: Raspberry Pi

DerekParnell said...
euphoric said...

eui --profile

Something like this ...

eui tests/t_bundled.e 

eui tests/t_bundled.e fails http://openeuphoria.org/pastey/116.wc

eui t_bundled.e in the tests dir gave no output and took about 19mins or so

21. Re: Raspberry Pi

ghaberek said...

One thing I am really curious about is the GPIO pins. If we can use those directly from Euphoria, then we've got a cheap little programmable hardware device in our midst.

I've updated the Raspberry Pi wiki page with some information about cross-compling Euphoria for the Raspberry Pi. My next side project is to attempt to patch GPIO/SPI support directly into Euphoria. I plan on doing a robotics project and would also love to have direct GPIO access from Euphoria!

Happy holidays,
Ira

22. Re: Raspberry Pi

ghaberek said...

grin

-Greg

Have you made any progress on OE control of the GPIO pins?

I just found SimonSays.wc (many undefined calls in that file) but if you have a .e file for all those pins, that would be great.

Kat

23. Re: Raspberry Pi

Hi Kat

Yeah, I wrote that , you can hear my dulcid tones on the youtube video. I think it demos quite nicely the use of wiringPi.

What undefined calls - maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Chris

24. Re: Raspberry Pi

katsmeow said...

Have you made any progress on OE control of the GPIO pins?

I had wrapped wiringPi a few years ago: https://github.com/ghaberek/wiringPi-euphoria. If there's interest in it I can update it match the latest release. Looks like we actually have two wrappers: WiringPi

I might also ask the WiringPi group on GitHub if I can move my project over there for some extra visibility for Euphoria. They're hosting several other wrappers for PHP, Python, etc.

katsmeow said...

I just found SimonSays.wc (many undefined calls in that file)

I hadn't seen that. Looks great!

katsmeow said...

but if you have a .e file for all those pins, that would be great.

The gpio command included with wiringPi provides a reference for the various pin numbers. You can use gpio to control basic pin read/write functions without having to write any code.

$ gpio readall 
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3A+-+---+------+---------+-----+-----+ 
 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM | 
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+ 
 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   |  1 || 2  |   |      | 5v      |     |     | 
 |   2 |   8 |   SDA.1 |   IN | 1 |  3 || 4  |   |      | 5v      |     |     | 
 |   3 |   9 |   SCL.1 |   IN | 1 |  5 || 6  |   |      | 0v      |     |     | 
 |   4 |   7 | GPIO. 7 |   IN | 1 |  7 || 8  | 0 | OUT  | TxD     | 15  | 14  | 
 |     |     |      0v |      |   |  9 || 10 | 1 | IN   | RxD     | 16  | 15  | 
 |  17 |   0 | GPIO. 0 |  OUT | 0 | 11 || 12 | 1 | OUT  | GPIO. 1 | 1   | 18  | 
 |  27 |   2 | GPIO. 2 |   IN | 0 | 13 || 14 |   |      | 0v      |     |     | 
 |  22 |   3 | GPIO. 3 |  OUT | 0 | 15 || 16 | 0 | OUT  | GPIO. 4 | 4   | 23  | 
 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   | 17 || 18 | 0 | OUT  | GPIO. 5 | 5   | 24  | 
 |  10 |  12 |    MOSI |   IN | 0 | 19 || 20 |   |      | 0v      |     |     | 
 |   9 |  13 |    MISO |   IN | 0 | 21 || 22 | 0 | OUT  | GPIO. 6 | 6   | 25  | 
 |  11 |  14 |    SCLK |   IN | 0 | 23 || 24 | 1 | IN   | CE0     | 10  | 8   | 
 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 25 || 26 | 1 | IN   | CE1     | 11  | 7   | 
 |   0 |  30 |   SDA.0 |   IN | 1 | 27 || 28 | 1 | IN   | SCL.0   | 31  | 1   | 
 |   5 |  21 | GPIO.21 |   IN | 1 | 29 || 30 |   |      | 0v      |     |     | 
 |   6 |  22 | GPIO.22 |   IN | 1 | 31 || 32 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.26 | 26  | 12  | 
 |  13 |  23 | GPIO.23 |   IN | 0 | 33 || 34 |   |      | 0v      |     |     | 
 |  19 |  24 | GPIO.24 |   IN | 0 | 35 || 36 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.27 | 27  | 16  | 
 |  26 |  25 | GPIO.25 |   IN | 0 | 37 || 38 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.28 | 28  | 20  | 
 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 39 || 40 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.29 | 29  | 21  | 
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+ 
 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM | 
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3A+-+---+------+---------+-----+-----+ 

-Greg

25. Re: Raspberry Pi

ChrisB said...

Hi Kat

Yeah, I wrote that , you can hear my dulcid tones on the youtube video. I think it demos quite nicely the use of wiringPi.

What undefined calls - maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks, Chris. What i didn't know when i wrote that was the use of "wiringpi" and where the include files were. I zoomed down the webpage and, expecting one OE file that contained the total code to operate the pins, missed the include files. I expected nothing more than a peek() or poke() or puts() or getc() to access the pins. I found pinMode() and digitalWrite() and immediately went on a search for them and could not find them in any OE manual. I felt like that was the start of a rabbit hole looking for include files to an OS i have no clue about. Indeed, i found the webpage of the author of wiringpi, and he pretty much says "don't use this", based on hackery and different raspi versions. So i didn't edit my post here about about not having code defining pinMode() and digitalWrite(). I remember reading something by a nix guru that such devices in nix are all treated the same, as if they were files, and were accessed with simple read() and write() commands. A couple hours of web searching and reading was not enlightening.

This is like buying a "car" and then needing to locate all the actual parts and programming spread all over the world for completing the "car" before you can use it. It's not your fault, it's just the way it is.

ChrisB said...

I think it demos quite nicely the use of wiringPi.

Well, it does. But it's like demoing changing the tailight bulb on a car by showing the new one operates after all the work is done to change it (without showing the work).

Kat

26. Re: Raspberry Pi

I think i need a couple "eureka!" moments. I have this Round Tuit and a baggie of DS18B20 and tubes of various ttl chips...

Kat

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu