1. Phix language

Forked from Re: Generic symbolic sequence assignment

FWIW, Phix has, or will have:
= - the "ambiguous" (ie context-dependent) operator as per OpenEU
:= - the explicit assignment operator (not properly implemented yet)
== - the explicit equality operator

Note that Phix only permits these explicit operators as an aid for legibility; it does NOT extend functionality, so both

a==0 

and

if a:=0 then 

generate compiler errors

Pete [/quote]

I actually have come to the idea that there is merit in having distinct symbols for these things. So, this is a fork off of Euphoria. What else is different?

Shawn Pringle

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix language

Phix started before RDS went open source, so it is a complete rewrite.
It is an alternative implementation, with some advantages and some disadvantages.
I have no problem with OE stalwarts completely ignoring Phix or anyone flitting between the two.
I think this list includes all the major differences:

• Native 8-bit strings
  • Named parameters, eg message_box(title:="title", text:="text", style:=MB_OK) works the same as message_box("text","title",MB_OK)
  • No implicit sequence ops
  • include file handling is a bit more intuitive, has relative directory handling, and it also does automatic includes, eg if you forget to include msgbox.e before using it, it will find it for you.
  • Direct comparison (eg if name="pete" then)
  • Negative indexes (as well as $)
  • Variable length slice assignment (eg s="food" s[2..3]="e"; s is now "fed")
  • Short circuit evaluation of all expressions (4.0 may now be the same?)
  • Automatic pass by reference optimisations (for an example see bench.exw)
  • inline assembly (x86)
  • Additional compile-time type checking
  • Automatic internal memory leak checking
  • Self-hosted, no need for Watcon/Borland/gcc.
  • No DOS or Linux versions.
  • No floating point for loops
  • Currently only one developer on Phix compared to quite a few on OpenEu. Overall I'd say it was pretty stable and perfectly usable but there is plenty left to do, including finding that special "magic" that gives it a real edge.
  • There are plenty of things in 4.0 that have not made it into Phix.
  • There is no intent to make all 4.0 programs run "out of the box" on Phix but modifying them to work should be straightforward.
  • Many new bugs!

Right now I'm working on extensive low-level changes for native thread support, which took a murderous time to get started but are currently fair zipping along.

Regards,
Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix language

petelomax said...

Pete,

Many of those sound pretty nice. Any reason to keep developing Phix instead of working with OpenEu now that it is open source? Sounds like everyone would benefit from your expertise.

Jeremy

4. Re: Phix language

jeremy said...
petelomax said...

Pete,

Many of those sound pretty nice. Any reason to keep developing Phix instead of working with OpenEu now that it is open source? Sounds like everyone would benefit from your expertise.

Jeremy

I think enough life has been worked into Phix to make it a worthwhile project and language in its own right, and I'd hate to see it go the way of Bach.

5. Re: Phix language

jimcbrown said...

I think enough life has been worked into Phix to make it a worthwhile project and language in its own right, and I'd hate to see it go the way of Bach.

It's not that I'd want the life to go away, just merged. Merged into one, the two combined projects have a greater chance of success then battling the very tough field of programming languages.

Jeremy

6. Re: Phix language

jeremy said...

Any reason to keep developing Phix instead of working with OpenEu now that it is open source?

I put together a little webinar (my first ever) http://www.phix.is-great.org/tutorial.php

Not that I would ever abandon Phix, but I suspect that if I joined OpenEu I'd just spend all day arguing with everyone. Fairly often I chip in with "how I did it" comments anyway.

Regards,
Pete

7. Re: Phix language

petelomax said...

Not that I would ever abandon Phix, but I suspect that if I joined OpenEu I'd just spend all day arguing with everyone.

You'd fit right in!

petelomax said...

Fairly often I chip in with "how I did it" comments anyway.

This sort of thing is greatly appreciated.

Matt

8. Re: Phix language

petelomax said...

I put together a little webinar (my first ever) http://www.phix.isgreat.org/tutorial.php

Not that I would ever abandon Phix, but I suspect that if I joined OpenEu I'd just spend all day arguing with everyone. Fairly often I chip in with "how I did it" comments anyway.

I double youd spend all day arguing. Everyone is sensible and when a sensible feature is suggested, it's easily adopted. Arguing only pursues when there is something very controversial or something that deviates vastly from where we are. In that case, a good discussion should be had. But... with the Phix language, it seems to be going in the same direction. I wouldn't think there would be any problem.

Jeremy

9. Re: Phix language

I sometimes dream about alternative implementations of sequences. We could obsolete bitwise operations and use sequences with logical operations instead. Just as we have atoms which could be implemented as 30-bit ints or double floating points in a structure, sequences could also be either the struct s1 we have now and a special one such that each member was only one bit. I mean with no syntax changes. You implemented 8-bit members in sequences. Did you do it without changing the syntax or did you have this as a hidden implementation detail? How did that change affect performance?

Shawn Pringle

10. Re: Phix language

SDPringle said...

I sometimes dream about alternative implementations of sequences. We could obsolete bitwise operations and use sequences with logical operations instead. Just as we have atoms which could be implemented as 30-bit ints or double floating points in a structure, sequences could also be either the struct s1 we have now and a special one such that each member was only one bit. I mean with no syntax changes. You implemented 8-bit members in sequences. Did you do it without changing the syntax or did you have this as a hidden implementation detail? How did that change affect performance?

Shawn Pringle

It's not entirely straightforward.

Both OpenEu and Phix have 31 bit integers in the range #C0000000 to #3FFFFFFF, ie beginning 0b00 or 0b11. I think they both use #40000000 to indicate <no value> and other values are shifted memory addresses. OpenEu shifts 3 bits, requiring data to be quad-word aligned, and uses one bit to distinguish a float from a dword-sequence (cmiiw). Phix shifts 2 bits, only requiring data to be dword-aligned, and uses a type byte in the data header, potentially 255 datatypes, currently using 3: #12 float, #80 dword-sequence, #82 8-bit string.

Performance-wise, some programs are up to four times faster in Phix, but several indexing operations are (unavoidably) around 30% slower, because of an additional low-level test.

A program like Edita is noticeably faster but a fair number of benchmarks are slower. Swings and roundabouts I suppose but if pushed I'd have to say adding 8-bit strings to OpenEu would probably not be a good idea, especially so with the extent of the changes it would require. Likewise adding say #81 to Phix for a bit array could potentially increase that 30% overhead to 60% on general subscript ops.

So to answer your question it is a hidden implementation detail, with gains and losses.

Regards, Pete

11. Re: Phix language

petelomax said...

Swings and roundabouts I suppose but if pushed I'd have to say adding 8-bit strings to OpenEu would probably not be a good idea, especially so with the extent of the changes it would require.

Yes, my biggest reason against adding a fundamental data type is that so much of euphoria is built around being able to operate on atoms and sequences that you end up touching most of the code just for checking to see what you're dealing with. You also have to deal with converting between them.

How do you handle a 'regular' sequence vs an 8-bit sequence? Like, say, concatenating one with the other?

I used to worry about how big sequences get. And I still get into trouble occasionally. But I've been running 64-bit euphoria for most of this year, and even though sequences are about twice as big as they used to be, I've learned to stop worrying and love the 63-bit integer.

Matt

12. Re: Phix language

mattlewis said...

How do you handle a 'regular' sequence vs an 8-bit sequence? Like, say, concatenating one with the other?

Strings are "auto-expanded" when necessary. For example

s = {-5,0}&"ab" -- s is now {-5,0,'a','b'} 
  s = "ab" & -5   -- s is now {'a','b',-5} 

Internally, the compiler creates 8-bit strings when it sees double quotes and dword sequences when it sees curly braces.

Elsewhere, dword-sequences can be used in place of strings, eg

open_dll("kernel32.dll") 
  open_dll({'k','e','r','n','e','l','3','2','.','d','l','l'}) 

behave the same though the later automatically does the same sort of "pack" that OpenEu must be doing.

The only real oddity is that prepend always yields a dword-sequence since otherwise prepend(string,char) would perform a complete copy to avoid non-dword aligned data, which gets a bit costly when you do it lots of times. But apart from explicitly testing it, you can use the result as if it was a string, so it doesn't really matter.

Regards,
Pete

13. Re: Phix language

petelomax said...

Elsewhere, dword-sequences can be used in place of strings, eg

open_dll("kernel32.dll") 
  open_dll({'k','e','r','n','e','l','3','2','.','d','l','l'}) 

behave the same though the later automatically does the same sort of "pack" that OpenEu must be doing.

Yes, anything that ends up going to an external C func gets run through MakeCString, which basically truncates the data down to a char (from a 31-bit integer, 63-bit integer, 64-bit floating point or 80-bit floating point, depending on the platform and the data).

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu