1. Euphoria History

Hey,

Does anyone have the complete history of Euphoria? I would like to know it as I am writing a detailed manual on Euphoria and having the history would come in handy.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria History

Release history can be found in the online manual. What type of history are you looking for?

man:relnotes

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria History

The History of Euphoria starting from version 1 and going up until now. Like when it was released and milestones, and how it got started.

4. Re: Euphoria History

The referenced section in the manual has the best history I know of. It has from version 1 including dates, what changed, what was added, etc... As for how/why it was started, maybe others can fill in.

Is this going to be a published book, a big/small book, PDF download?

Jeremy

5. Re: Euphoria History

Lone_EverGreen_Ranger said...

Hey,

Does anyone have the complete history of Euphoria? I would like to know it as I am writing a detailed manual on Euphoria and having the history would come in handy.

Funny you should ask for this today, as I was getting rid of some of my extra 3.25" floppy disks and found a Version 1.2e Complete Edition disk from 1994! For archival purposes, I should probably upload the files in a ZIP or something. :)

I also have Version 1.3 and Version 1.4 diskettes.

It is copyright Rapid Deployment Software, so I better ask Rob first. :)

6. Re: Euphoria History

The History of Euphoria starting from version 1 and going up until now. Like when it was released and milestones, and how it got started.

Try this, please.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/esearch.exu?fromMonth=6&fromYear=1&toMonth=5&toYear=D&postedBy=Robert+Craig&keywords=IBM+Canada

Plus docs on 3.1.1.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/relnotes.htm

Regards,

kinz

7. Re: Euphoria History

Thanks for all the help. I do hope to get this published. For now I am just writing a detailed manual on Euphoria, which also includes the history. Yes it will be a big book.

8. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...

Funny you should ask for this today, as I was getting rid of some of my extra 3.25" floppy disks and found a Version 1.2e Complete Edition disk from 1994! For archival purposes, I should probably upload the files in a ZIP or something. :)

I have zip of Version 1.0 PD, if someone wants to get it, let me know please.

Regards,

kinz

9. Re: Euphoria History

Hey,

Contact Rob Craig at rds@rapideuphoria.com. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have his Euphoria history documented and preserved.

10. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...

Yes, please make them available for historical/archival purposes, and check with Rob too.

11. Re: Euphoria History

kinz said...

Yes, please. Check with Rob though.

12. Re: Euphoria History

And I have here a version 2.0 complete edition to contribute (pending Rob's approval).

13. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...

Ok, CK, maybe, you know, I'm a registered user of 2.0CE and up. But do you know that I am very interested to get 1.2CE, 1.3CE and 1.4CE for free? Just to try them on my 386 mainframe just now? My old good 386 can not wait for old good software anymore smile

Ask Rob please ASAP.

Regards,

kinz

14. Re: Euphoria History

I do have a request in to Rob. Hopefully he'll reply soon. :)

15. Re: Euphoria History

DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

Yes, please. Check with Rob though.

It is an old story, Rob knows. Public Domain version. It is free.

http://private.peterlink.ru/kinz/EUPHOR10.ZIP

Regards,

kinz

16. Re: Euphoria History

kinz said...

Ok, CK, maybe, you know, I'm a registered user of 2.0CE and up. But do you know that I am very interested to get 1.2CE, 1.3CE and 1.4CE for free? Just to try them on my 386 mainframe just now? My old good 386 can not wait for old good software anymore smile

Rob kindly said yes. Check the Downloads page.

17. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...
kinz said...

Thanks Rob, Thanks CK, Thanks All You Guys!

Regards,

kinz

18. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...
kinz said...

But do you know that I am very interested to get 1.2CE, 1.3CE and 1.4CE for free?

Ok, good, but on the Downloads page, there are some mistakes now. 1.3 and 1.4 really are pure PD versions, not CE. And 1.2e is pure CE, without the PD ex.exe (pdex.exe).

Let's search for all complete PD and CE versions. Why not?

Regards,

kinz

19. Re: Euphoria History

kinz said...

kinz, I think it's a good idea. We should get permission from Rob for not just the ones that CK asked about but for all previous versions before we put them online though. If people want to start digging through their archives, it would be cool to reconstruct and make available all the old versions.

Jeremy

20. Re: Euphoria History

jeremy said...
kinz said...

kinz, I think it's a good idea. We should get permission from Rob for not just the ones that CK asked about but for all previous versions before we put them online though. If people want to start digging through their archives, it would be cool to reconstruct and make available all the old versions.

Jeremy

If we can contact and get permission from Rob and Chris Bensler, then...

Chris Bensler has a complete collection of every Euphoria version released, starting from the very first. He also has the source code to the old C-frontend version of Euphoria (used until 2.5), which was licensed to him under the old program. (I forget the name, but Karl's Bachs was produced under the same program.)

21. Re: Euphoria History

kinz said...

Ok, good, but on the Downloads page, there are some mistakes now. 1.3 and 1.4 really are pure PD versions, not CE. And 1.2e is pure CE, without the PD ex.exe (pdex.exe).

Interesting. Those disks are labeled "Complete Edition." I'll check on that when I get home tonight.

22. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...
kinz said...

Interesting. Those disks are labeled "Complete Edition." I'll check on that when I get home tonight.

Okay, just checked and I have 1.3 and 1.4 disks for both the PD and CE versions! I'll get those CEs uploaded tomorrow.

23. Re: Euphoria History

Hey,

Here's a "history" that I emailed to someone in 2005...

A Brief History of Euphoria by Robert Craig Rapid Deployment Software

1975-77: I had summer jobs programming in APL while enrolled in the computer option of Engineering Science at the University of Toronto. I was impressed with the APL interpreter's dynamic storage allocation, and operations on multi-dimensional arrays, but I was not happy with APL's dependence on the goto statement for all control-flow.

1980: I finished my Master's Thesis in computer science at the University of Toronto. My thesis was a comparison of conventional programming languages versus newer functional languages like FP, proposed by John Backus. Euphoria gets the idea of atoms and sequences from FP, although in FP strings were considered atoms. Euphoria treats strings as sequences.

1981-1989: I had software development jobs working at Litton Systems on cruise missiles, AES Data writing an assembler and linker, IBM Canada developing compilers for C, Cobol and BASIC and Array Systems developing an Ada-like language for parallel processing.

September 1989: I bought an Atari Mega ST and started to develop Euphoria. My goal was to develop something with FP-like data structures, but very simple, conventional control-flow statements.

1989-1992: I continued to enhance Euphoria and to increase its speed. I managed to speed up the interpreter by a factor of 25 over the first working version.

July 1993: Euphoria version 1.0 was released to various BBS's as well as CompuServe and America Online.

January 1996: The Euphoria Web site was created.

June 1996: The Euphoria mailing list was started. The Web site and the mailing list allowed an interesting community of Euphoria users to develop. Many ideas proposed on the mailing list have been incorporated into Euphoria. Some of the major people in the community, such as David Cuny, Jiri Babor, Jacques Deschenes, and several others, have contributed extremely useful code that's now widely used. There has been an amazing amount of sharing of code and ideas.

November 1997: The first WIN32 version of Euphoria was released.

June 1999: The first "pre-alpha" Linux version was released.

November 1999: The first Linux version was officially released.

April 2000: The Euphoria Database System (EDS) was introduced.

June 2001: The Euphoria To C Translator was officially released. It will translate any Euphoria program to C, and can sometimes speed up a program by a factor of 5.

In the early days, I worked on Euphoria part-time, but for the past few years I've been working full-time on it. My wife, Junko Miura also works on Euphoria part time. She developed several library routines, the documentation generator and some demo programs. She also set up the Web site.

Why is Euphoria better than other languages? See README.DOC, REFMAN.DOC, BASIC.DOC, C.DOC.

Euphoria runs on DOS, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.

There are currently over 500 people subscribed to EUforum, the Euphoria mailing list (discussion group). (Some use Topica e-mail, others view and post messages via the new Web interface that's written in Euphoria.)

There are over 1400 user-contributed .ZIP files in our Archive. Since 1996, over 67,000 messages have been posted to EUforum.

Recently, Robert Craig rewrote the Euphoria To C Translator, in 100% Euphoria code. He also rewrote the official Euphoria interpreter as 30% Euphoria code (front-end), 70% C code (back-end). They were both formerly written 100% in C. The Translator can translate both itself and the interpreter front-end. The Interpreter can interpret both itself and the translator!

For version 2.5, there is also a completely open source version of Euphoria, that's written 100% in Euphoria itself. Interpreted, it runs much slower than the 30%/70% official interpreter, but you can translate it to get speed comparable to Perl or Python, both of which are written in carefully hand-coded C.

Regards, Rob Craig Rapid Deployment Software http://www.RapidEuphoria.com

24. Re: Euphoria History

Thanks for all the help.

25. Re: Euphoria History

The archive has been updated with some Complete Edition versions. Let me know if there are any problems with these new files.

One note: on the 1.3CE disk, three files were unavailable because of file corruption on the disk. They can probably be replaced with a prior or later edition of those files. See the readme.txt for more info.

26. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...

The archive has been updated with some Complete Edition versions. Let me know if there are any problems with these new files.

Do you want to add 2.0 DPCE to the archive, let me know. I've got a copy here.

27. Re: Euphoria History

irv said...
euphoric said...

Do you want to add 2.0 DPCE to the archive, let me know.
I've got a copy here.

I think it would be nice and appropriate to archive all editions. Thanks, irv!

Does oe.org have an FTP server where people can upload files?

28. Re: Euphoria History

euphoric said...
irv said...
euphoric said...

Do you want to add 2.0 DPCE to the archive, let me know.
I've got a copy here.

I think it would be nice and appropriate to archive all editions. Thanks, irv!

Does oe.org have an FTP server where people can upload files?

No, but that can be arranged.

29. Re: Euphoria History

CK (or whoever can add this to the archive) http://etcwebspace.com/users/irvm/eu2.0.zip

the disk said...

Euphoria
Version 2.0
Dual-Platform Complete Edition
(c) 1998 Rapid Deployment Software

30. Re: Euphoria History

irv said...

CK (or whoever can add this to the archive) http://etcwebspace.com/users/irvm/eu2.0.zip

the disk said...

Euphoria
Version 2.0
Dual-Platform Complete Edition
(c) 1998 Rapid Deployment Software

Thanks, irv. Now archived.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu