1. Reasonably pleased

I just tried a test - running all the EuGTK test programs at the same time. I got 60 going before the computer slowed down enough to resemble a Windows computer running one program. This with Mint 8 on a laptop with 1.5 gig processor and 512 meg memory. Memory and processor usage were both about 56%. Image

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Reasonably pleased

irv said...

I just tried a test - running all the EuGTK test programs at the same time. I got 60 going before the computer slowed down enough to resemble a Windows computer running one program. This with Mint 8 on a laptop with 1.5 gig processor and 512 meg memory. Memory and processor usage were both about 56%. Image

Most of those seem to not be actually "running", but were a task to do something, like show a red button, then stop, at which point they merely occupied disk space when the OS swapped them out.

On the 3 Ubuntu computers i tried, most of their time was spend swapping back and forth to disk. Everything seemed to be out on the drive, there was no code and no data already in the computer in any application i was trying to run. This was for Firefox or Eu applications.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Reasonably pleased

useless said...

On the 3 Ubuntu computers i tried, most of their time was spend swapping back and forth to disk. Everything seemed to be out on the drive, there was no code and no data already in the computer in any application i was trying to run. This was for Firefox or Eu applications.

useless

I wouldn't have expected recent versions of firefox, let alone GNOME, to run on a system with only 512MB of ram and 1.5G of disk space (I assumed you did this on a system with specs similar to Irv's as you failed to provide any).

Congrats on finally getting a Linux system booted and usable for the first time, btw.

4. Re: Reasonably pleased

jimcbrown said...

I wouldn't have expected recent versions of firefox, let alone GNOME, to run on a system with only 512MB of ram and 1.5G of disk space (I assumed you did this on a system with specs similar to Irv's as you failed to provide any).

That's a joke, right? I run the latest firefox plus a number of other programs on this 512meg 1.5gig laptop all the time without any problem. I also have several laptops with 128 megs and 8-900 mhz processors which work quite well. It's only Windows which bogs them down.

And for Kat - yes, they are probably not "running", just waiting. Exactly like they would be on Windows. So I don't see a difference there.

Unless you're saying Windows is so poorly designed that it "runs" things when they don't need running....

Which, come to think of it, may indeed be the case.

5. Re: Reasonably pleased

irv said...
jimcbrown said...

That's a joke, right? I run the latest firefox plus a number of other programs on this

Sadly, no.

irv said...

512meg 1.5gig laptop all the time without any problem. I also have several laptops with 128 megs and 8-900 mhz processors which work quite well.

I'm quite curious as to how you accomplished this. On my 512mb desktop (granted, 120GB disk space) firefox runs very slowly as it gradually eats up memory. (It seems absurd that a mere web browser would demand 550mb of ram to run...)

6. Re: Reasonably pleased

jimcbrown said...

I'm quite curious as to how you accomplished this. On my 512mb desktop (granted, 120GB disk space) firefox runs very slowly as it gradually eats up memory. (It seems absurd that a mere web browser would demand 550mb of ram to run...)

Well, I'm running firefox 3.5.5 right now, it's using between 0 and 2 percent processor, and 62.6 megs of memory. 40 gig HD. I normally leave FF running all the time, sometimes for several days. Something is seriously amiss if you can't do that also. What version of Linux are you running?

7. Re: Reasonably pleased

irv said...
jimcbrown said...

Well, I'm running firefox 3.5.5 right now, it's using between 0 and 2 percent processor, and 62.6 megs of memory. 40 gig HD. I normally leave FF running all the time, sometimes for several days. Something is seriously amiss if you can't do that also. What version of Linux are you running?

Gentoo on an AMD Athlon XP 3200. (Running kernel 2.6.12.4 if you're interested.) I have 2.5 gigs of swap set aside, as well.

However, I'm not on firefox 3.5 yet but still on the older series.

8. Re: Reasonably pleased

Older versions of FF were known to leak memory like a sieve. What version are you running?

Then again I run Chrome now on both Linux and Windows.

9. Re: Reasonably pleased

jaygade said...

Older versions of FF were known to leak memory like a sieve. What version are you running?

Then again I run Chrome now on both Linux and Windows.

I had upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 on that desktop. (I haven't kept firefox up to date since on that system because I've moved away from a graphical environment altogether and now use that desktop only for console applications.)

With firefox 3.0.15 I've still seen usage as high as 834MB, but this is on a laptop with a considerably larger amount of ram.

10. Re: Reasonably pleased

presently on windows xp pro sp3 firefox 3.5.1 comsume 84Mo RAM I reboot in ubuntu to see if there is a difference.

11. Re: Reasonably pleased

on ubuntu 9.10 firefox 3.5.5, 1 tab opened, top give VIRT 270Mo RES 59Mo SHR 24Mo it's more detailed than windows task manager I would consider only RESIDANT + SHARED = 83Mo (same as under windows)

12. Re: Reasonably pleased

jacques_desch said...

on ubuntu 9.10 firefox 3.5.5, 1 tab opened, top give VIRT 270Mo RES 59Mo SHR 24Mo it's more detailed than windows task manager I would consider only RESIDANT + SHARED = 83Mo (same as under windows)

Ok, that's encouraging. I'll upgrade to 3.5.5 on the desktop the next chance I get.

13. Re: Reasonably pleased

Just for general information - I currently have computers running Mint 8 (wonderful!), Parsix Kev (great) Dream (for people who like Macs :) and several versions of Puppy for the really low & slow laptops (600mhz/128meg). All these are cast-off computers from people who were running Windows and found them too slow, so they dumped them. They run plenty fast with Linux.

For comparison, I also have a laptop running XP, and a higher-end desktop trying to run Vista (these are for when I cannot avoid testing something on Windows). XP loses to Mint when run on identical computers, even when Mint has all the "Aero" bling turned on. Vista... well, the less said about that, the better.

Edit to add: I just checked the ff which has been running for 15 hours - now it is using 43 megs, down from 62 when I first started it. That makes little sense, but I'm ok with it.

14. Re: Reasonably pleased

jimcbrown said...
useless said...

useless

Congrats on finally getting a Linux system booted and usable for the first time, btw.

Taking 20 minutes lo launch Firefox isn't useable. I don't recall the specs. I bought all 3 computers with nix pre-installed on them, and for all 3 i yanked the boot drives and installed windoze 95B. I have no working nix computers, and do not want any.

15. Re: Reasonably pleased

jimcbrown said...

I was referring to the GNU/Linux system as a whole, not including Firefox.

katsmeow said...

Taking 20 minutes lo launch Firefox isn't useable.

Agreed.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu