1. A Something to PDF converter

I am wondering if anyone has written a Eurphoria library which makes PDF files. I have found several which are written in Java or PHP or C. This website has a list: http://www.ajaxline.com/10-best-libraries-for-generating-pdf

I did find one which does some text to PDF written by Maurizio Moroni many years ago. What I want to do is to write one which can handle 2D graphics. I am going to adapt it from one of the PHP ones first, and then come back to Euphoria. I would pick Euphoria first, except that the hosting server freehostia supports PHP, not something else.

Andy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: A Something to PDF converter

penpal0andrew said...

I am wondering if anyone has written a Eurphoria library which makes PDF files. I have found several which are written in Java or PHP or C. This website has a list: http://www.ajaxline.com/10-best-libraries-for-generating-pdf

I did find one which does some text to PDF written by Maurizio Moroni many years ago. What I want to do is to write one which can handle 2D graphics. I am going to adapt it from one of the PHP ones first, and then come back to Euphoria. I would pick Euphoria first, except that the hosting server freehostia supports PHP, not something else.

I had often thought of porting fpdf (php only source file) to Euphoria. Is that what you were thinking? It would be a very welcomed edition to The Archive.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: A Something to PDF converter

jeremy said...
penpal0andrew said...

I had often thought of porting fpdf (php only source file) to Euphoria. Is that what you were thinking? It would be a very welcomed edition to The Archive.

Jeremy

Yes. I like FPDF since it is such a small package. I am not going to make a complete port. But I went through the trouble of writing a postscript program which used ghostscript to make the PDF. And then I realized that if I could do what FPDF does in Euphoria, I do not have to worry all about if my user installed ghostscript and then have to call it from Euphoria.

Andy

4. Re: A Something to PDF converter

Hello,

I use Haru Free PDF Library and I've written wrapper for part of this library, but only functions which i needed.

Vlado

penpal0andrew said...

Andy

5. Re: A Something to PDF converter

I have found out that Cairo C library has both antialiasing for smooth rendering of curves plus a PDF output. So, I think I will make a very partial wrapper for it so I can cover both functionality.

6. Re: A Something to PDF converter

penpal0andrew said...

I have found out that Cairo C library has both antialiasing for smooth rendering of curves plus a PDF output. So, I think I will make a very partial wrapper for it so I can cover both functionality.

Is this Cairo wrap relevant?

(not sure why it's named "claro"):

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/clarowrap0176.zip

Dan

7. Re: A Something to PDF converter

Please, what does the 'Gold Star', for this thread, indicate?
Thanks!

8. Re: A Something to PDF converter

DanM said...
penpal0andrew said...

Is this Cairo wrap relevant?

Dan

I am not sure what Claro is. But it seems similar to GTK+, which is a highly usable, feature rich toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces which boasts cross platform compatibility and an easy to use API. What would be interesting is if Eurphoria could be added to this list: http://www.gtk.org/language-bindings.html

I realize that this is off topic from this thread.

Andy

9. Re: A Something to PDF converter

penpal0andrew said...
DanM said...
penpal0andrew said...

I have found out that Cairo C library has both antialiasing for smooth rendering of curves plus a PDF output. So, I think I will make a very partial wrapper

I am not sure what Claro is. But it seems similar to GTK+, which is a highly usable, feature rich toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces

cairo is great, I have kept the version used in claro downgraded because newer version of cairo no longer work in win98. to get the fonts working get a newer version of cairo and I think few other changes will be required beyond adding wrapping for the newer or changed routines. I have used the png output but not the pdf, so if it isn't yet wrapped I'm sure won't be too difficult.

claro is now a defunct native GUI wrapper for windows using WIN32API or *nix using GTK and mac using coco. but I have only wrapped the windows portion so far. developed in c with and for the bersirc IRC client. as I heard it from the claro devs many months ago, there was a name/copyright conflict with a company of the same name and they changed the name to lucid, then abruptly totally changed all the underlying code to use a few c libs that are quite more difficult to wrap, but never got past the proof of concept stage. svn is gone, mailing list and irc channel dead for some time.

in additon to the cairo wrapper and widget, clarowrap includes an openGL widget. the cairowrap and chris benslers structs v2 could be seperated out but I have no idea how to attach it to any open window, and it is not something trivial to do since all the claro code depends on other parts of the code.

I have kept it updated to work with euphoria version 4, but am hesitant to upload a newer version until a beta or release candidate at least.(hint hint) and I haven't as yet removed the redundancies overlapping the newer eu4 stdlib and builtins. I comment things out but does need some major code cleanup.

10. Re: A Something to PDF converter

Any progress on a fpdf conversion? Or any more thought? I am in need of this as well and if not, will be starting on it soon.

Jeremy

11. Re: A Something to PDF converter

jeremy said...

Any progress on a fpdf conversion? Or any more thought? I am in need of this as well and if not, will be starting on it soon.

Jeremy

Since the 2-D graphics library Cairo supports PDF generation, I did not need to write anything in Euphoria. And the FPDF package is in PHP and at the Server, and my server only executes PHP code, not anything else. My Euphoria program makes calls to Cairo in a small C language DLL. And I ship my program with the Cairo DLLs.

Are you planning to write a PDF creator in Euphoria? I wonder if this has been done. If not, it is very easy to do, but tedious. You just look at the FPDF code.

Andy Katz

12. Re: A Something to PDF converter

I guess Cario seems to be a bit of an overkill for me. I simply want to create text based (formatted of course) reports from both server side and desktop. I will start on a FPDF conversion to Euphoria.

Jeremy

13. Re: A Something to PDF converter

Hello Everybody,

What I would like to see is a .pdf to Something converter.

Such as .pdf to .txt and .pdf to .bmp or .jpg.

My 2 cent.

Don Cole

14. Re: A Something to PDF converter

doncole2009 said...

What I would like to see is a .pdf to Something converter.

Such as .pdf to .txt and .pdf to .bmp or .jpg.

That depends. Some PDFs contain blocks of text. Others are just images of documents. Given the latter, you'd need some sort of OCR software. Things like PDF Tools already do this, but they're typically not free software.

-Greg

15. Re: A Something to PDF converter

Hi, Thanks for your nice sharing. Do you have any exprience about pdf extractor? I want to find some 3rd party toolkits to help me extract text form pdf files. It will be better if it also offers free trial package for users to check. If so, I will try it later and send you feedback. Thanks in advance.

Best regrads, Pan

Tags: pdf extraction; extract pdf

16. Re: A Something to PDF converter

petersalvatore said...

Hi, Thanks for your nice sharing. Do you have any exprience about pdf extractor? I want to find some 3rd party toolkits to help me extract text form pdf files. It will be better if it also offers free trial package for users to check. If so, I will try it later and send you feedback. Thanks in advance.

Best regrads, Pan

Tags: pdf extraction; extract pdf

I use pdftotext a lot in my work to extract text from pdf documents. It is free and works well for our purposes. I can provide code samples to assist your project.

Another useful 3rd party software is pdftk server which can be used to split, move, append etc individual pages in a pdf file. This is also free.

Spock

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu