Re: Redirecting Standard Output

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...
Lnettnay said...

Hi again Ken,

How long have you been using OpenEuphoria? ~ I wonder why he changed his user name?

Lonny

I think he's been around here longer than me: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/77149.wc

Senator, if that was indeed you, congratulations on 20 years of perseverance!

It is I. smile

I changed my user name because I forgot my log in code and was too impatient to wait on Rob to reset my account for whatever.

Thanks for the 20 years of perseverance congratulations!

I actually think that I discovered Euphoria in the summer of 1996. There were only a handful of user contributions at the time - perhaps 5 or 6.

In the early days Euphoria had a mailing list which was hosted by a University, if I recall correctly. I added hot keys to ed.ex which allowed me to run "pine" and download the current digest of postings and then load them into ed.ex to read. I would compose my reply/post to the mailing list in ed.ex and then use another hot key to run pine again to send the post to the mailing list. It worked like a charm - all on dial-up.

For a number of years Euphoria's documentation was text file only. The reference manual article headings contained the command enclosed with <>. It was very easy to add simple context sensitive help to ed.ex by automatically enclosing the current "word" with <>, loading the reference manual in an ed.ex window, and using ed.ex's search command to locate the relevant article. Worked like a charm.

Is progress real?

There is really no excuse for my ignorance of console redirection. I started using Linux as soon as someone on the mailing list suggested that Rob port Euphoria to Linux. I dual booted Windows and Linux for a few years, but dropped Windows out of disgust over viruses and crashes.

I chose the user name Senator because I seem to remember that the latin root meant something like "old" and it sounds a bit more dignified than "Senile". smile

Cheers, Ken Rhodes

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu