Re: Important features not highlighted on main page

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

Is it reasonable to tell a curmudgeon that he can not be ornery?

I dunno.

_tom said...

I copied your revision to the wiki http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/compare_languages.wc

Everyone is invited to revise this page.

I just changed it to "cantankerous pernikety", which I think alliterates nicely with computers and programmers.

_tom said...

What OOP has is:

• dot notation
  • identifiers that replace numerical sequence indexing

How practical would it be to add just these items to a language?

That might not be too difficult. In one afternoon, earlier this year, I added ORAC's version of dot notation subscripts to Phix (along with a flag to quickly enable and disable it).

_tom said...

As you develop a program in an OOP language you can't help but feel clever.

Brian Kernighan said...

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

_tom said...

Yes, I have a copy and previously decided that was the thing to have a play with, once I clear up what I'm (supposed to be) doing now.

No promises, but in the meantime a quick poll on suggestions for what would be the most helpful syntactic sugar might be in order.

I'll also invite a few rants on any specific shortfalls of or difficulties with using diamondlite as well, from anyone that's tried it.

Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu