Re: Moderation

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

Either someone in that channel decided to spoof the ip, or more likely someone with admin on this site altered the deleted post to sign it john1988.

This would have some serious implications if it in fact happened, so I decided to investigate it.

I found no evidence of any deleted posts that had been signed (that is, with a line indicating the name of the user at the bottom of the post) with the text john1988. In fact, in the only deleted post owned by john1988, it was signed with a different name.

Editing a post that had already been deleted (or doing other things like changing the user account associated with a post) is something that even a normal admin of this website can not do. This requires a special level of access that is only available to four individuals: me, mattlewis, myself, jeremy, euphoric, and I.

Additionally, Jeremy has independent copies of forum posts and other database changes. So, to fool anything more than a casual investigation, a rogue admin would have to directly access Jeremy's systems and make changes to files on his system as well. My understanding is that Jeremy himself is the only person with legitimate access to the systems that have this information.

Thus, theoretically Jeremy is the only person with enough privileges to be able to pull this off undetected.

On the flip side of the coin, the number of individuals who could have potentionally spoofed the ip live appears to be unlimited. In addition to users present in the IRC channel, there is an IRC log of that day on this web site. So someone not present in the channel could still have enough information to spoof the ip address.

It's really sad that the precious mental resources of the developers have to be wasted on this thread.

Some advice for useless_: just drop that username, register with a new (neutral) username, and you will have a new life on this forum. Nobody will discriminate against you or bother you. But, of course, you must quit that revengeful attitude and stop complaining about being discriminated against. Can't you do that?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu