Re: Off Topic: English Grammar, Spelling, colloquialisms, etc.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
eukat said...
jimcbrown said...

You mean your veiled insult at the poster regarding the poster's native language? I agree.

There's an implication here that the poster is unable to write working software. This is obviously false.

No, i was fascinated that he could write working software using a non-spoken language, yet couldn't construct proper sentences with a native spoken language.

You assumed that the poster could not construct proper sentences in the written form of a native spoken language simply because of an error that could be the result of a two-keystroke typo?

There must be more to it than that. If this was the case, then you'd be advocating a very high standard that even you have demonstrated that you couldn't achieve.

eukat said...

My honest congrats to him weren't sarcastic. I have known people who could barely speak at all but were amazing at electronics repair (for instance). My mother memorised vast amounts of data for an advanced college degree when i was in high school, yet her writing was on par with 8th grade, and i edited all her homework for her.

I'm not sure that I believe this. A two-keystroke typo resulted in a congrats for being .. average? Almost average?

This would be considerably more plausible for someone who couldn't string two sentences together, or was completely mute, or had severe dyslexia. A congrats for missing an apostrophe and the letter e?

Even if this is true, your congrats to the poster and your later statement withdrawing it contain implied insults that are obvious to any fluent reader of modern English. You really can't see it?

Even if THAT is true, I consider the honest inability (or at least the lack of serious effort) to check your own statements for these kinds of double meanings far more serious than bad spelling.

eukat said...

Considering how much my words are screwed up passing thru other people's language filters, perhaps i should never post any followups to any initial post i make here.

On the one hand, there would be a loss as your followup posts may have contained useful information that now will not exist. If you aren't around to explain why a "refutation" is incorrect, readers may assume that you didn't respond because you accepted that you were mistaken in your original post and agree completely with the reply.

On the other hand, there are certainly more productive things you can spend your time doing and (within reason) you should not put these forums above your own emotional health. A balance must be struck.

My half of a cent would be to try it out and see if it helps.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu