Re: Compile with watcom fails

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

It's possible that some dialects of english prefer a "yore" sounding "your", while others prefer a "you're" sounding "your" - but either pronounciation is correct.

Trying to state that one pronounciation is better than the other smacks of snob appeal - it feels to me like one is saying "my dialect is superior to your dialect."

Pronunciation is one thing. It becomes bad spelling when written.

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

And the words "yore", "your", and "you're" all mean different things, just like "byte", "bite", and "bight", , or "they're", "there", and "their", , or "two", "too", "to", "tu" (Spanish), and "tutu" mean different things. It's not a matter of "better" words, or snob appeal, it's about choosing the word to write what you mean. Words are names for concepts, if you chose the wrong word, you are stating the wrong concept.

True. Absolutely true. Even so, I believe that as long as the meaning can be understood easily and effortlessly, there is nothing wrong with this sort of word confusion in informal speech (or less formal text-based communication). The words "to" and "tu" can be mixed up by a typo, as applies to "byte" and "bite" - but one can usually determine the meaning (and thus the correct word) by context.

In speech, it's usually not a problem. When reading it, however, I usually have to go back and reread the sentence, so for me at least, this sort of misspelling does not lead to effortless understanding. It seems like a loosing* battle, though, and I get tired of tilting at windmills.

Matt

* Ha!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu