1. OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

I have created a Google Forms survey to collect community feedback on usage and suggestions regarding our website.

Please visit this link to fill out the survey. It's entirely anonymous, unless you want to provide additional identifying details.

I will keep this survey open indefinitely. Feel free to post any additional suggestions here as well.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

Just a note about the survey itself, since you ask the person's gender:

From https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gender

"Usage notes

Since the 1960s, it is increasingly common — particularly in academic contexts — to distinguish between sex and gender, the former being taken as inherent biological distinctions and the latter as constructed social and cultural ones. See Wikipedia's article on the Sex and gender distinction."

The top two selections in the survey are for sex, not gender. It's annoying that people would rather be incorrect and say "gender" in common speech because they want to seem polite by not saying "sex". It's like confusing temperature and heat.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

katsmeow said...

Just a note about the survey itself, since you ask the person's gender:

From https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gender

"Usage notes

Since the 1960s, it is increasingly common — particularly in academic contexts — to distinguish between sex and gender, the former being taken as inherent biological distinctions and the latter as constructed social and cultural ones. See Wikipedia's article on the Sex and gender distinction."

The top two selections in the survey are for sex, not gender. It's annoying that people would rather be incorrect and say "gender" in common speech because they want to seem polite by not saying "sex". It's like confusing temperature and heat.

I said gender and I meant gender. What I didn't mean was "male" or "female" and that was the Google Forms filling in the suggested answers when I typed that question.

I have corrected the responses to read "I am a man" or "I am a woman" or "I prefer not to say" or "Other."

Thank you for pointing this out. That being said, please do not mistake my misstep from a survey I made late at night as any type of ignorance on the topic.

-Greg

4. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

ghaberek said...

please do not mistake my misstep from a survey I made late at night as any type of ignorance on the topic.

I did not mean to stomp on your toes. It is nice to know i am not the only one who makes their mistakes late at nite. I now usually announce my brain is offline at midnight. Thank you for your efforts.

5. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

Should we send this via email to folks who haven't been online in a while?

-Greg

6. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

I haven't been online for awhile, but I decided to check.

I suppose that an email to those who no longer check often might not be unwelcome.

7. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

ghaberek said...

Should we send this via email to folks who haven't been online in a while?

-Greg

No. A lot of us feel forced to give away our emails when signing up for this forum, and we have no way of deleting our accounts or rescinding our emails.

For those of us who have given up here, the last thing we want is more email spam from you.

8. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

apeto1 said...

No. A lot of us feel forced to give away our emails when signing up for this forum, and we have no way of deleting our accounts or rescinding our emails.

For those of us who have given up here, the last thing we want is more email spam from you.

Well, good news: a lot of that will be changing.

We're going to have to ask for an email address; literally every where you'd register for something is going to require that. Email is used for identity verification.

I'm also getting feedback that many people would like to have optional email notifications about forum activity (@mentions, watched threads, etc.)

What I can offer is better profile management and more transparency on how your email address would be used by this site. An opt-in check box for announcements, for example.

-Greg

9. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

ghaberek said...
apeto1 said...

Well, good news: a lot of that will be changing.

We're going to have to ask for an email address; literally every where you'd register for something is going to require that. Email is used for identity verification.

I'm also getting feedback that many people would like to have optional email notifications about forum activity (@mentions, watched threads, etc.)

What I can offer is better profile management and more transparency on how your email address would be used by this site. An opt-in check box for announcements, for example.

-Greg

OK that works for me. Keep up the good work.

10. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

I believe there needs to be a way m_sabal's patch posted in the forum makes it's way back to the archives of those apps that use the code so patched.

Similarly, if someone "upgrades" old win32lib.e files (such as v0.45) to still work and have fewer bugs, or makes a new win32lib.e work perfectly with those old apps using 15 year old versions, those apps need to recieve advisory notes (at least) or the new win32lib.e (and support files) dropped in as an upgrade package. Same applies to other files besides win32lib, that was only an example.

Kat

11. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

Hi

All goals for a new archive system. Need a committee.

Cheers

Chris

12. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

katsmeow said...

I believe there needs to be a way m_sabal's patch posted in the forum makes it's way back to the archives of those apps that use the code so patched.

Similarly, if someone "upgrades" old win32lib.e files (such as v0.45) to still work and have fewer bugs, or makes a new win32lib.e work perfectly with those old apps using 15 year old versions, those apps need to recieve advisory notes (at least) or the new win32lib.e (and support files) dropped in as an upgrade package. Same applies to other files besides win32lib, that was only an example.

Agreed. There should only be only one version of any given download that's made available. I'm thinking we'd retain the version history though, in case anyone needs something specific.

-Greg

13. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

ghaberek said...
katsmeow said...

Agreed. There should only be only one version of any given download that's made available. I'm thinking we'd retain the version history though, in case anyone needs something specific.

This sort of stuff is possible on PCAN right now - anyone can edit eg http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Win32lib, add comments, a new or replacement file/attachment/link, submit a new entry and add a link on the old one, etc.

(If you have any questions not answered by http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Introduction let me know here. Any yes, you'd need to learn yet another markup language.)

I would note though that in the specific case of win32lib, having just one version probably won't cut it.

14. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

petelomax said...

I would note though that in the specific case of win32lib, having just one version probably won't cut it.

## 

atom set_version =  

## 

Kat

PS: Let this serve as another reason to scrap the use of creole here.

15. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

ghaberek said...

Because your post was clearly meant as trolling

It was not. As someone who identifies as non-binary, I am really upset to be treated this way.

After seeing this shit, I understand discussion of this is not allowed on this forum and I would like to withdraw my comments.

euphoric said...

There are only two genders, as there has been since the first homosapiens walked planet earth, and as reflected in the entire animal kingdom. "Male" and "Female" is enough. Don't even need "Other."

katsmeow said...

and totally unrelated to whatever apeto1 is trying to do.

I was asking for additional gender roles to be added to the form. I hardly think that is unrelated, since that is what the form is asking for.

Finally, may I suggest that in the future the mods here do not quote from the CodeOfConduct the part that says "Start a new thread if you must." I wouldn't have started a new thread, except for the fact that I misunderstood ghaberek when he wrote that.

16. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

apeto1 said...

I was asking for additional gender roles to be added to the form. I hardly think that is unrelated, since that is what the form is asking for.

If the forum asked what country you are in, and listed USA, Canada, NewZealand, Oz, and Other, is that really dissing Tobago? What if you are happy to have the Other where you can write in "Apache helicopter" if that is how you identify?

17. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

Looking at http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/home.wc

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Updated%20Documentation.wc is a really scarey page about the switch statement.

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Begin%20Programming.wc is something about rewriting a Wumpus in a sandbox.

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Additional%20Documentation.wc is what i expected to be on the wiki front page, not buried several lines down.

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/OpenEuphoria%20Vision.wc and http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/OpenEuphoria%20Code%20Bounties.wc are the same page? What was i expected to post when i was looking for something to read?

i found there's a link to WEE which i think isn't supported? a link to GTK with is nix-only (quit using windows if you want a gui in OE!), and a link to IUP, "an officially-supported GUI library" which doesn't exist?

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/EuphoriaLinks.wc with this line: "Greg Haberek has a simple web page for his programming projects. (bad link?)" Yes, it is a bad link! (Someone should alert ghaberek ?)

And then i quit looking.

If i was a noobie to programming, i'd surely visit OpenEuphoria.org after stumbling across the OE page on wikipedia, but i'd never return. The problem isn't the 10 year old codebase, it's about content, and being able to find the immediate relevant content. More communication to the target audience, less about "the data is on the website somewhere, just look".

18. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

katsmeow said...
apeto1 said...

If the forum asked what country you are in, and listed USA, Canada, NewZealand, Oz, and Other, is that really dissing Tobago? What if you are happy to have the Other where you can write in "Apache helicopter" if that is how you identify?

Agreed. I'm just not going to list out that many permutations on these optional questions, regardless of the topic.

I am acutely aware of the societal difficulties of transgender people. I choose not to talk about it in public because it is a sensitive and personal matter to me.

I mean no disrespect, and I try to accommodate everyone's needs equally. But in this case, what's being asked just seems unreasonable.

-Greg

19. Re: OpenEuphoria Website Survey 2018

katsmeow said...

i found http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/EuphoriaLinks.wc with this line: "Greg Haberek has a simple web page for his programming projects. (bad link?)" Yes, it is a bad link! (Someone should alert ghaberek ?)

LOL good find. I've corrected that. I had no idea it was there.

katsmeow said...

If i was a noobie to programming, i'd surely visit OpenEuphoria.org after stumbling across the OE page on wikipedia, but i'd never return. The problem isn't the 10 year old codebase, it's about content, and being able to find the immediate relevant content. More communication to the target audience, less about "the data is on the website somewhere, just look".

Agreed. I'd say that my biggest gripe with the site is the unorganized nature of the wiki. Tom's clearly put in a lot of work to try and wrangle the beast, but we're all limited by the tools on-hand.

If we can expand the wiki to make curating and discovering information easier, then we should be able to sort it out with less effort and in less time.

I am working on a big list of suggested improvements and a new code base that should really help accelerate a major "version 2.0" of the site.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu