1. Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Hi

It seems that rapideuphoria may be disappearing. For now it is still available on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20180304051205/http://www.rapideuphoria.com/

but it seems there is a risk of it disappearing. So I've started downloading it (as much as possible).

Volunteers required, and to avoid duplication, pick a section, leave a message here as to which section you're doing, and then edit it, when you've done, up which point (as you may not be able to complete an entire section).

Note, just so everyones aware, only notes about the section you're doing allowed on here, I'll delete any that don't pertain directly to this to avoid clutter.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Documentation section

Started

Completed

Some not as yet saved
https://code.google.com/archive/p/eu4qt/downloads
Win32API Documentation, which I may have at home somewhere.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Linux/FreeBSD Section

Complete as possible - missing several packages from links to offsite dead ends.

4. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Machine-level

Downloading

Complete

5. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Library Routines

Started

Complete

6. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Editors started

Editors completed

(exceptions below, and some just dead links)

http://edita.is-great.org/?i=2 https://web.archive.org/web/20060221165246/http://palacebuilders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk:80/euphoria.html https://web.archive.org/web/20170809171733/http://users.telenet.be:80/tommycarlier/eu/

wxeditor

GWD Editor http://gwdsoft.com/

7. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Utility Programs

Started

Completed

8. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Games section started

Completed

http://raymondsmith.com/euphoria https://web.archive.org/web/20100109194915/http://euallegro.wikispaces.com:80/

9. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

User Interfaces

Started

Completed

10. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Mathematics

Started

Complete

11. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Extra from RDS

Started

Complete

12. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Fonts

Started

Complete

13. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Graphics Demos

Started

Complete

14. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Language Tools

Started

Completed

15. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Started Sound

Completed

For Bass libraries http://wingzone.tripod.com/bass.htm#bass
MML COmpiler http://jiggawatt.org/muzak/xpmck/

16. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

This message has self destructed

17. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Hi Pete

I know, and you've just broken the rule! Still worhwhile adding to thearchive for historical purposes. There are some nuggets in there!

This message will self destruct in a while.

Cheer

18. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Internet started

Completed

Kanarie templating system http://users.telenet.be/tommycarlier/eu/index.htm euTCP4u TCP Library 50K Ray Smith Apr 16/02 this program has happy users! 9.75 click here to update this entry A Euphoria library that allows downloading of Web pages and creating sockets programs using TCP. It includes sample programs and documentation. Apr 16: a bug fix, some docs updated

WIN eulibcURL 82K Ray Smith Dec 14/05 this program has happy users! 6.90 click here to update this entry A Euphoria wrapper for libcURL - an Internet protocol transfer library. Your Euphoria program can use this to download Web pages and other files from the Internet. It's better in many ways than his earlier euTCP4u. It has password support, progress callbacks, header callbacks and error message support. Dec 14: RDS added some necessary declarations for the CDECL calling convention. eulibcURL will now work correctly with the Translator and Borland C. (Previously, you needed exw, or the Translator and Watcom C)

popup gorilla (GHaberek)

WIN euLibnet 40K Ray Smith Dec 14/00 this program has happy users! 6.25 click here to update this entry A Euphoria library that lets you send and receive messages via TCP. It's based on Libnet. It allows multi-client servers and it comes with a demo chat server that sends messages to all clients connected to it. Dec 14: several new network functions plus documentation

http://raymondsmith.com/euphoria

https://sourceforge.net/projects/euxml/

19. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Windows started

Pause - Calendar update

Xcontrols GHaberek

20. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

So far, I have 427 MB, so I'm guessing the total will be over 1 gig. As noted, there's a lot of potentially interesting stuff there, so it would still be wise to have it stored in more than one place.

And me 338 Mb, and yes, wise indeed. Any ideas where else? Chris.

21. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

• Documentation (CB)
  • User Interfaces (IM)
  • Mathematics (IM)
  • Extra Stuff from RDS (IM)
  • Fonts (IM)
  • Editors (CB)
  • Graphics Demos (IM)
  • Language Tools (IM)
  • Library Routines (IM)
  • Games (CB)
  • Internet (CB)
  • Sound (CB)
  • Machine-Level (IM)
  • Windows Programming (CB)
  • Linux/FreeBSD (IM)
  • Utility Programs (IM)
  • Simple Demos (IM)
  • Database (IM)

I am starting on the last -two- -one- done now.

22. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

In 2001-2003, i downloaded several people's personal websites, such as Jiri's entire mass of code, several versions of Bach/Bliss, a lot of David Cuny's code. Later, when i wanted to index the entire archive, to be word-searchable, i downloaded the entire archive, indexed it word by word, and wrote the search code to interface to irc.

I don't know where the large database is now, i may have deleted it. I have found 15,763 files in 1806 folders. But since i concentrated on windows and dos, and OE doesn't suppport either any more, it's rather useless.

I should have the olde email list archived somewhere too, so i'll have those code snippets, but like the index project, i am unsure, and don't know where it is.

EDIT: From irc logs, looks like the total download for the index project would have happened June 2008. In July 2008 Tiggr was answering questions about the contents of the RDS archive on irc.

23. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

I hope you can find those, because there are some things that have just vanished from the web.

And, as I look thru the files labelled for DOS, I'm finding lots of good code that perhaps should have been called "generic", instead, since it's easily modifiable to run in a GUI environment. I had been ignoring those, and perhaps other people had been doing the same. I'll try to post some of the updated code to a google site (real soon now:)

24. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Hi

Here we have a really good opportunity to clean up the archive, and see what gems there are, and to arrange a coherent and searchable database. The wget from Greggs site yielded 1965 files in 609 Mb, which really isn't that big. So there certainly need to be some centralised database to search and browse this stuff (and yes please Kat, let's incorporate the web sites you've archived too - if you have them in compressed formats then email them to openeuphoria@gmail.com)

The first thing we need to decide, as a community, is where to put it. I might suggest the openeuphoria site as the obvious solution, either to host the files, or to act as a database front end to where they may be stored. However that requires some work to be put in and volunteers to do it, and whether the small population of web site owners / administrators would be willing to put the work.

So I'll put my hat in the ring now - I'm willing to archive / maintain / caretaker the archive, either by myself or jointly with others. I will need access to wherever they may be put, and if different, access to the database location too, but I'm happy to do it. (infact there already now two databases - Pete's PCAN, and Greg's searchable archive, which could fairly easily be incorporated into the openeuphoria's main front page)

Cheers

Chris

25. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

ChrisB said...

and yes please Kat, let's incorporate the web sites you've archived too - if you have them in compressed formats then email them ...

I found the 2009 archive (the date i archived, not the date the dl was done), on hdd #22 in the archive box (an actual cardboard box). It's at 1,966,585 bytes. So nearly 2 GB. This included the RDS archive, all my code as of that date, plus Eu emails, but not the individual websites of people like Jiri or Dcuny. There's duplicates, like 10 versions of win32lib and 3 versions of bigfixed.e.

This was the same problem with sending the index project anywhere when i was on dialup. I had no bandwidth and no one else had any space.

Found buildindex_RDSarchives.exw , just have not found the source or resulting files yet.....

Hey Irv, if you are guifying some console programs, i'd still like to have a gui on my irc.e, if you have the time, the desire, etc..

26. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Oh, 20 mb is the gmail limit. How's your internet speed, I would probably not worry about doing it all at once, but sensible small chunks.

Is there a consensus for wanting all the old forum stuff - there was a lot of guff on there.

There is some sorting to do.

Cheers

Chris

27. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

I sent a zip file containing two dir listings:

1) the zip files i saved from the 2007 indexing project and

2) the state of my Eu folder when i quit programming April 2017.

Let me know what you want, before i do a ton of work that isn't wanted.

I have nothing on DesignerThinking.com, i deleted all of that in April 2017 also. I can post files there and you can grab them at your leisure. My dsl upload speed averages only 50k, so that is going to still smell like dialup.

28. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Got them, thanks. Will go through the archives, see what's missing, and what you might have.

Cheers

Chris

29. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

ChrisB said...

Here we have a really good opportunity to clean up the archive, and see what gems there are, and to arrange a coherent and searchable database. The wget from Greggs site yielded 1965 files in 609 Mb, which really isn't that big. So there certainly need to be some centralised database to search and browse this stuff (and yes please Kat, let's incorporate the web sites you've archived too - if you have them in compressed formats then email them to openeuphoria@gmail.com)

Agreed. This is a much needed effort.

ChrisB said...

The first thing we need to decide, as a community, is where to put it. I might suggest the openeuphoria site as the obvious solution, either to host the files, or to act as a database front end to where they may be stored. However that requires some work to be put in and volunteers to do it, and whether the small population of web site owners / administrators would be willing to put the work.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I really feel like the entire website needs a refresh. We're running on ~10 year old code here.

I already have a lot of ideas for what's needed in an overhaul, and I'd be willing to lead the effort, but I can't do it all alone.

ChrisB said...

So I'll put my hat in the ring now - I'm willing to archive / maintain / caretaker the archive, either by myself or jointly with others. I will need access to wherever they may be put, and if different, access to the database location too, but I'm happy to do it. (infact there already now two databases - Pete's PCAN, and Greg's searchable archive, which could fairly easily be incorporated into the openeuphoria's main front page)

I've got 5 GB total space on my hosting for usingEuphoria.com. I'm chewing on about 650 MB after that scrape of The Archive. I could spare at least 2-3 GB. I have unlimited throughput per month.

-Greg

30. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

Hi Greg

Happy for you to lead the website refresh. Going by what has gone before, that 2-3 Gb should see us good for another 30 - 40 years, unless we suddenly become the new python.

Cheers

Chris

31. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

I have a few suggestions for changes to the website, things I would like to see done. I also think the archive should reside in more than one place. Storage is not that expensive these days. I don't know what the bandwidth usage is for the current site but I'd bet it's not too great. I might be willing to cover the cost of storage.

Regards, jd

32. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

katsmeow said...

Hey Irv, if you are guifying some console programs, i'd still like to have a gui on my irc.e, if you have the time, the desire, etc..

Certainly willing to give it a try.

33. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

irv said...
katsmeow said...

Designing the user interface took a couple hours, and I can now connect and view the MOTD. Before I can go any further, I'll have to figure out what IRC is supposed to do.

34. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

irv said...
irv said...
katsmeow said...

Designing the user interface took a couple hours, and I can now connect and view the MOTD. Before I can go any further, I'll have to figure out what IRC is supposed to do.

Basically, it has "rooms" wherein people "chat". It's also possible to "chat" person to person without a "room". There are means to send/recieve files. These things require a "client" built on top of irc.e, and i have built one for people and one for bots, but they were refused by those in charge of OE in favor of the bare-bones doesn't-do-anything irc.e, and then that was refused too. The client for both people and bots would need a sub-window to display what is going on then the "room" (or channel), and a sub-window to display who is in the "room". The people client will need a text entry sub-window, it would be good to have for the bot too. Each "room" will need those three sub-windows.

If you provide the windows, and a way to puts() into them and gets() from the text entry, i can interface it to the irc client.

I had a bot client working that connected to several irc nets and joined different rooms on each, logged each separately, but that was a few years before i wrote irc.e, and that was nearly five years ago.

35. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

irv said...

Designing the user interface took a couple hours, and I can now connect and view the MOTD.

Irv, i have sent several emails to you, hoping to get an update, and a copy of the gui you wrote. I guess you did not get them.

I hope to use this every day.

Umm, and i hope you wrote the gui for windows.

36. Re: Euphoria Archive rescue mission

katsmeow said...
irv said...

Designing the user interface took a couple hours, and I can now connect and view the MOTD.

Irv, i have sent several emails to you, hoping to get an update, and a copy of the gui you wrote. I guess you did not get them.

I hope to use this every day.

Umm, and i hope you wrote the gui for windows.

Hi. Yes, I got one more, re the RX7 ;) Let's start a new topic for this. See "Addihg a GUI".

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu