1. [rant] [OT] A Gift and a Curse.

Why is Euphoria not a popular as it should be? Because there is no corporate sponsor: Microsoft tells you C# is "popular", Apple tells you Swift is "popular", Google tells you Python is "popular". If a popular language is good enough then people can't imagine something better.

That leaves a few people who wonder why something "popular" is difficult to use and often performs poorly. For these people we have Euphoria--which means OE and Phix.

Euphoria is a gift of time and expense. Saying that this gift is slow to progress, lacks features, is not popular enough, has cranky administrators, ..., does not help. If you think the "developers" are not listening to you it is because we have a shortage of developers, not because they are not listening. You can fix things by becoming a developer. Take the source-code and show us something better.

If you say the one administrator who keeps the forum running has to be replaced then you just said that Euphoria has to be shut down--that is both rude and impractical. I may have (admin) status, but that is just honorary; I do not have the access or knowledge to run this forum. Administrators are just volunteers; you do not elect or toss out volunteers.

No forum is complete without a few flame wars. Flame wars are popular because they are entertaining and you get to see some original comments. The downside is flame wars tend to get rude, burn needless time, and clog the forum. I have seen what is left after a forest fire, for the same reason it is not worth keeping flame war threads.

OE is a gift and a curse. It's a gift that we have something nicer than a corporate computer language. It's a curse that it takes work to keep it alive.

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [rant] [OT] A Gift and a Curse.

Hear hear.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu