1. Have itch? Become a developer.

You are ready to be a developer if:

You have found a bug and a fix for that bug.

Have wrapped C libraries for Euphoria.

Have contributed code to the Archive.

Have ideas.

I will not call out any specific names, but I can think of several qualified people we could use as developers. Even if you have just a "one off" contribution, you are welcome. Use the "Contact Admin" link http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Contact%20Administrators.wc and leave a message.

• ⵚE on Github

Can someone can use Hg to clone the ⵚE source on Github? Is it easier to make a fresh copy or try to update the exisiting (old) open euphoria Github?

• ⵚasis

Possibly a Github site that can be a repository for downloading Euphoria languages. It could used to hold RDS Euphoria,ⵚpenEuphoria, Phix, and other good stuff.

An ⵚasis is a relief from a desert of conventional programming languages...

• ⵚ3

Maybe its time for ⵚzone, an update to RDS 3.1 Euphoria. Eu3.1 is fixed historically; releasing a "3.2" Euphoria would be misleading. But ⵚ3, (or some other clever name) could be a useful update. The archive now has standard library additions that would justify an updated release of the classic Euphoria.

• ⵚE

There are some Archive contributions that could justify an ⵚpenEuphoria release (even if ⵚE still has some bugs).

• ⵚE bugs

Go and fix a few small ⵚE bugs and we have a new release.

• ⵚE follow through

Some gentle reminders to fix things that have been discussed and are ready to be fixed for real.

• ⵚther ideas?

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

_tom said...
  • ⵚ3

Maybe its time for ⵚzone, an update to RDS 3.1 Euphoria. Eu3.1 is fixed historically; releasing a "3.2" Euphoria would be misleading. But ⵚ3, (or some other clever name) could be a useful update. The archive now has standard library additions that would justify an updated release of the classic Euphoria.

+1

Eu3 standard library has a lot of routines to mimic OE4 routines so it could be used with ⵚ3.

Jean-Marc

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

jmduro said...
_tom said...
  • ⵚ3

+1

Eu3 standard library has a lot of routines to mimic OE4 routines so it could be used with ⵚ3.

Jean-Marc

The Eu3 standard library has lots of good stuff; some which could be ported to OE and Phix.

Lets try a "retro" Euphoria release.

• RDS3.1 does not have to be re-compiled
  • We choose a clever name so it is clear that this is an OpenEuphoria initiative and not from RDS.
  • For Linux: just include Eu3 library.
  • For Windows: the inno setup is still available http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php, again it may be just a simple add-on with no real changes.
  • making it look pretty can come later
  • to start, we upload this to the RDS Archive
  • result: a new release without too much fuss

_tom

4. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

We should be really careful about this.

Recently, I have been programming a couple of Raspberry Pies. Euphoria and EuGTK work on them, but I wanted to try some already-written programs (written in Python).

Should be easy, right?

Nope - missing this , missing that, difficult to find any mention on the internet, incompatible with current Python when you do find it.

Somehow, Python doesn't seem so great after that experience.

I consider myself a beginner at Python, so isn't that the same experience other beginners would have?

We need to avoid that sort of thing happening. With Eu 3, Eu 3 programs work. With Eu 4, Eu 4 programs work. All the needed includes come with the respective install.

If Eu 4 has bugs, and no one fixes it, it's much better to publish a patch or warning about that bug than to fragment and fork a version which - as we all know, is unlikely to be maintained.

5. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

I think having OpenEuphoria on github would be a great idea. It seems to be the place to be for open source code. I know it is hard these days, but Euphoria should really have another release soon. The last stable release was back in 2012. Its been quite some time now.

6. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

_tom said...

The Eu3 standard library has lots of good stuff; some which could be ported to [OE and] Phix.

Almost everything I have taken from the standard library has needed significant rework (for Phix). I will try individual routines as needed, but non en masse.

Icy_Viking said...

I think having OpenEuphoria on github would be a great idea. It seems to be the place to be for open source code.

It is (was) already on github, so obviously that would not make any difference

Pete

7. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

petelomax said...
Icy_Viking said...

I think having OpenEuphoria on github would be a great idea. It seems to be the place to be for open source code.

It is (was) already on github, so obviously that would not make any difference

Pete

Github, in itself, is not a panacea.

Invitation for a new developer...Building a clone repository of OpenEuphoria on Github is an exercise for a new developer--please give it a try. Don't wait for a non-programmer like me to work on it--just do it.

Downloading from Github instead of Sourceforge may be a preference for some people. Making it easier to download OpenEuphoria and Phix is a good idea.

I just googled to notice that "Euphoria" is: a drug, a local spa, a local smoothie establishment. At least "Euphoria Programming" or "Euphoria Language" are useful. "Sequence" does not result in a link to Euphoria programming. Google does not associate "atom sequence object" back to Euphoria. Google's idea of "simple": the usual hard to learn/use programming languages.

I'm willing to setup a github repository for the purpose of a secondary download site. First, I need a good project title for Euphoria/OpenEuphoria/Phix. Second, I need a descriptor of our languages.

_tom

8. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

I am working on a re-casting of Euphoria 3.1.1 where all the stuff in the root "include" folder is moved to its corresponding "std" location. For example, allow_break comes out of file.e and goes into std/console.e. (Some DOS stuff gets "thrown away" in the process.)

The intention is that it will become (more) possible to write modules which work in both Eu3 and OE4. We can also then "do away with" the original include files altogether, and not just for OE4 users!

9. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

irv said...
_tom said...
jmduro said...
_tom said...
  • ⵚ3

+1

Jean-Marc

The Eu3 standard library has lots of good stuff; some which could be ported to OE and Phix.

Lets try a "retro" Euphoria release.

• RDS3.1 does not have to be re-compiled
  • We choose a clever name so it is clear that this is an OpenEuphoria initiative and not from RDS.
  • For Linux: just include Eu3 library.
  • For Windows: the inno setup is still available http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php, again it may be just a simple add-on with no real changes.
  • making it look pretty can come later
  • to start, we upload this to the RDS Archive
  • result: a new release without too much fuss

_tom

We should be really careful about this.

Recently, I have been programming a couple of Raspberry Pies. Euphoria and EuGTK work on them, but I wanted to try some already-written programs (written in Python).

Should be easy, right?

Nope - missing this , missing that, difficult to find any mention on the internet, incompatible with current Python when you do find it.

Somehow, Python doesn't seem so great after that experience.

I consider myself a beginner at Python, so isn't that the same experience other beginners would have?

We need to avoid that sort of thing happening. With Eu 3, Eu 3 programs work. With Eu 4, Eu 4 programs work. All the needed includes come with the respective install.

If Eu 4 has bugs, and no one fixes it, it's much better to publish a patch or warning about that bug than to fragment and fork a version which - as we all know, is unlikely to be maintained.

I second Irv's words of caution. Over many years Irv has developed and maintained probably the most broadly functional and easy to use of all euphoria code libraries - bottom line, he knows what he is talking about.

Ken Rhodes

10. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

dr_can said...

I am working on a re-casting of Euphoria 3.1.1 where all the stuff in the root "include" folder is moved to its corresponding "std" location. For example, allow_break comes out of file.e and goes into std/console.e. (Some DOS stuff gets "thrown away" in the process.)

The intention is that it will become (more) possible to write modules which work in both Eu3 and OE4. We can also then "do away with" the original include files altogether, and not just for OE4 users!

That is the purpose of the Eu3 Standard Library. You can pick what you need from it. I can send you the most recent version if needed.

Regards

Jean-Marc

11. Re: Have itch? Become a developer.

dr_can said...

That is the purpose of the Eu3 Standard Library. You can pick what you need from it. I can send you the most recent version if needed.

Regards

Jean-Marc

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu