1. Move to github?

I would really like to see Euphoria thrive among the more popular languages. In my opinion sourceforge is dead when you consider how popular Github and other version control solutions are. I found this but I'm not sure if it's legit. As for as I know, sourceforge doesn't offer git which means the developers of Euhporia wouldn't be used to it but I think migrating commits (if possible) to git and hosting on github will help the project gain more contributors.

Maybe I'm insane and have no idea what I'm talking about but I would like to hear your feedback on the matter.

Thanks

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Move to github?

OpenEuphoria source-code is hosted on our own server.

We use Mercurial (on our server) to process our files.

We use SourceForge as a location for user downloads.

The "Misc Menu" provides:

• SCM :: link to our source-code
  • SourceForge :: link to old code, and downloads

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Move to github?

Also see https://bitbucket.org/openeuphoria/ which is pushed out on a regular (and automated) basis.

4. Re: Move to github?

_tom said...

OpenEuphoria source-code is hosted on our own server.

We use Mercurial (on our server) to process our files.

We use SourceForge as a location for user downloads.

The "Misc Menu" provides:

• SCM :: link to our source-code
  • SourceForge :: link to old code, and downloads

_tom

Ah I see, so something like bitbucket (which has Mercurial support) wouldn't be a consideration?

EDIT: The pricing doesn't look that bad. Not sure if it's less than running your own server for hosting. I'm sure you have already seen their pricing. Up to 5 users is free, but I'm not sure how many contributors the project has.

5. Re: Move to github?

I think Euphoria on github would be a good idea. A lot of open source software is hosted on github these days. One thing though is that github doesen't really have syntax coloring support for Euphoria. Though I assume it could be added easily.

6. Re: Move to github?

Icy_Viking said...

I think Euphoria on github would be a good idea. A lot of open source software is hosted on github these days. One thing though is that github doesen't really have syntax coloring support for Euphoria. Though I assume it could be added easily.

When I use Github, I feel more compelled to push updates more frequently to participate in the community (however small it may be for any given project).

When I use Bitbucket, I feel no compulsion to push anything. I can't find words on why, exactly, but I sort of feel like my project is on its own island with no one around.

-Greg

7. Re: Move to github?

mollusk said...

I would really like to see Euphoria thrive among the more popular languages. In my opinion sourceforge is dead when you consider how popular Github and other version control solutions are. I found this but I'm not sure if it's legit. As for as I know, sourceforge doesn't offer git which means the developers of Euhporia wouldn't be used to it but I think migrating commits (if possible) to git and hosting on github will help the project gain more contributors.

it wouldn't hurt to put links on the download page to the other repo if all the download files can be stored there as well. *outside the source directory so that the source can be downloaded as an archive.

some people are avoiding sourceforge because of their questionable practices in the past few years. they've been bought out a few times and apparently some projects have had malware/adware wrappers added at some point.

euphoria could use more promotion but there are bigger problems than how it is distributed.

8. Re: Move to github?

ne1uno said...

it wouldn't hurt to put links on the download page to the other repo if all the download files can be stored there as well. *outside the source directory so that the source can be downloaded as an archive.

some people are avoiding sourceforge because of their questionable practices in the past few years. they've been bought out a few times and apparently some projects have had malware/adware wrappers added at some point.

euphoria could use more promotion but there are bigger problems than how it is distributed.

Yes this is the other thing about sourceforge, in the last few years they have lost a lot of trust. I remember the internet blowing up over how the GIMP project was treated. Besides that, I think it's obvious that not many people consider sourceforge relevant anymore, and have moved their projects to other places. I'm not going to sit here and down play the major task it would be for developers using a mercurial based version control solution to merge a large project with a long commit history to a different version control solution.

As far as I know, the OpenEuphoria project has no sponsorship, a very small team, and do not work on the project full time. That said, I think it's imperative to start considering getting some help whether that's finding a sponsor (unlikely) or moving the code base to a place with more traffic. In the long run this not only provides the possibility of gaining more attention and contributors, but also and exit strategy for those who want to see the project survive but no longer have the desire/time to continue development.

Now, it may be the the developers are happy with how things are right now and would like it to stay that way long into the future. I just don't think the project will last if things remain in their current form. Personally I'd like to see Euphoria be a competitive option in the programming languages space as it has a lot to offer that many languages don't (i.e being a scripting language with the option to compile). Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of programming languages out there that offer interesting features (such as elixir, haskell, ocaml, rust, nim, julia etc) but I still think Euphoria hits that sweet spot.

I'd say that overall, if anybody wants the project to have a chance to thrive and survive in modern times, something has to be done. Distribution is only one small step and while it may not be the biggest issue or even biggest priority, it's still a crucial point that needs serious consideration and discussion. I encourage everyone with thoughts on this topic to reply here as a community so we can collectively gain perspective on the matter.

What does the OpenEuphoria project mean to you and would you care if faded into the void?

9. Re: Move to github?

mollusk said...

I encourage everyone with thoughts on this topic to reply here as a community so we can collectively gain perspective on the matter.

Apart from the obvious one of no-one can ever again release a new version,

I think "The Archive" has become a real millstone.
It is now badly outdated and needs to be much more dynamic and wiki-like, with (at the very least) anyone able "up/downvote" or to add tags such as "2.2-only" or "works-on-4.1" etc.

Pete

10. Re: Move to github?

petelomax said...
mollusk said...

I encourage everyone with thoughts on this topic to reply here as a community so we can collectively gain perspective on the matter.

Apart from the obvious one of no-one can ever again release a new version,

I think "The Archive" has become a real millstone.
It is now badly outdated and needs to be much more dynamic and wiki-like, with (at the very least) anyone able "up/downvote" or to add tags such as "2.2-only" or "works-on-4.1" etc.

Pete

I agree with Pete that the archive does need a overhaul. I also know it too will take a lot of work to get it done. I like the idea of up/down votes. Maybe also a way to donate to the program author, if the program is really good. Like the old Euphoria dollar thing. Maybe a link to their paypal or patreon? I'm also all for moving Euphoria to github. I realize this would all be a lot of work, but it would be worth it. Maybe OE could look into getting a sponsor as others have said or maybe opening up a Patreon? These are just my thoughts. I'd really like to see Euphoria flourish again!

11. Re: Move to github?

said...

I agree with Pete that the archive does need a overhaul. I also know it too will take a lot of work to get it done. I like the idea of up/down votes. Maybe also a way to donate to the program author, if the program is really good. Like the old Euphoria dollar thing. Maybe a link to their paypal or patreon? I'm also all for moving Euphoria to github. I realize this would all be a lot of work, but it would be worth it. Maybe OE could look into getting a sponsor as others have said or maybe opening up a Patreon? These are just my thoughts. I'd really like to see Euphoria flourish again!

I would surely donate and I am sure many others will. Those who enjoy writing Euphoria code and want to keep writing in it will probably do what they can to keep it alive. From what I can tell of the OE project, the goal is not to nickle and dime people but at the end of the day, some donations couldn't hurt especially if anyone wants to see new features and faster development. If the OE project really tries to maintain a patreon profile with decent incentives; I think at least some progress could follow.

12. Re: Move to github?

Jeremy Cowgar thought of Git a long time ago:

github.com/jcowgar/openeuphoria

Looks like having a clone of the Mercurial repository is workable.

Just needs an update.

_tom

13. Re: Move to github?

_tom said...

Jeremy Cowgar thought of Git a long time ago:

github.com/jcowgar/openeuphoria

Looks like having a clone of the Mercurial repository is workable.

Just needs an update.

Corrected link: https://github.com/jcowgar/openeuphoria

Last update was June 8th 2012 - isn't that the latest version anyway tongue

Joking aside, it does prove that moving to github will not by itself achieve anything.

Pete

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu