1. [ JOKE ] Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Talk about being blindsided! I don't even know what Phix is. I checked forum posts, nothing... I googled it and managed to find a couple of poorly written items. It seems to be mostly C with a bunch of extra colons (::). For rapid code development Euphoria is much better than C.

I can program in C. Why learn another version of C.

How about some information regarding this substantial change which has the potential to kill the community.

Summary executions are only popular with dictators!

Regards,
jd

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Hi

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying it's a good thing, or a bad thing? Phix isn't trying to kill Eu, far from it, I think it's the best kick up the butt Eu has had in a long time. Phix produces smaller, and (anecdotally / impression wise) faster wxecutables than Eu, and works better and more consistently with dlls than Eu. But Eu still has by far the larger following (albeit an overall small one in total). Language wise Phix is virtually identical to Eu, and is in a rapid state of development (unlike EU right now).

Overall Phix is a good thing for the Euphoria language, long may it continue to thrive in parallel with Eu.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

ChrisB said...

Hi

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying it's a good thing, or a bad thing? Overall Phix is a good thing for the Euphoria language, long may it continue to thrive in parallel with Eu.

Cheers

Chris

I am sorry for being unclear. I was stunned by the news announcement with big headlines and no explanation.

The news release says. "Going forward, this site will support the use and active development of Phix." This says, to me, that euphoria is gone, all the code is being archived..

There is not enough information provided to allow me to form an opinion as to whether or not this is a positive change.

Is there a link to a Phix site or forum? Where can I find out about it and what this means for euphoria users?

Any information about Phix would be a help in thinking about this development.

Regards, jd

4. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

I guess I'll have to wait to try it until the Linux version comes complete with the builtins. I no longer use Windows.

5. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

I thought Phix becoming the new official language was an April's Fools Joke? Though I am not fully opposed to Phix becoming the successor to Euphoria. I wrote many programs in Euphoria. While Phix may be different in its own ways, it still is very similar to Euphoria in almost all aspects.

6. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Icy_Viking said...

I thought Phix becoming the new official language was an April's Fools Joke?

Yes, that's correct.

7. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

jimcbrown said...
Icy_Viking said...

I thought Phix becoming the new official language was an April's Fools Joke?

Yes, that's correct.

Can this Good Faith farce (or a synonym thereof) of a thread be totally deleted? Or is there a reason it needs to be permanently on public display?

8. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

- - - - - - -
I'll remove it myself, unless someone else does, by midnight Melbourne (AUS) time. I'll keep this thread though but with an 'explanation' preface added, so people in future won't be mislead by it.

9. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

DerekParnell said...

- - - - - - -
I'll remove it myself, unless someone else does, by midnight Melbourne (AUS) time. I'll keep this thread though but with an 'explanation' preface added, so people in future won't be mislead by it.

OK, You got me. I'm the April's Fool. My comments are legitimate. The thought of losing my favorite language scared me. I'll bring a guide the next time I visit the forum. Thanks to all who tolerate me.

regards, jd

10. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Oh, This was an April Fools - totally sucked in (didn't see the news post)!

Well done.

Cheers

Chris

11. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Joke or not, I'd still like to get the builtins for Linux.

12. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

irv said...

Joke or not, I'd still like to get the builtins for Linux.

I'll get back on it soon. At least I now have a proper lnx64 vm up and running here, and I just got the shared directory thing working today.

Pete

13. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

OK, so I haven't been here in a while, and seeing the "This is Officially the Phix Forum" topic, I knew instantly it must've been posted on April 1.

hahahahaaa! Good one, jim.

Then I saw the responses.

The lot of you need to chill out.

Good riddance to this community if its denizens can't grow up.

/off-topic-rant-completed

14. Re: Phix is now the official language of the OpenEuphoria Community!

Hi

euphoric said...

The lot of you need to chill out.

Good riddance to this community if its denizens can't grow up.

Which responses did you find immature or angry in this thread? Certainly the moderation thread is heating up, but I can't see any hotspots in this one. Apart from this one of course.

Cheers

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu