1. a problem running euwingui2

Hello,

I'm having a problem running Euwingui2, so i'd like to check if i've made any mistakes during install of OE 4.1 on 64bit Win10.

My home installation is c:\Euphoria, and i've saved euwingui2 to c:\Euphoria\euwingui2 (BTW is that an OK thing to do??).

I've followed the advice in euwingui2's readme.txt, about copying the dlls to the windows\system32 directory, and adding in my \include folder, a path to the include, by setting up EUINC like this: c:\Euphoria\euwinbui2\bin;c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include; (BTW was that the right way to do it?)

Then i looked at euwingui2 demos, and read in demos.txt that to be able to run them i need to make sure that EuWinGUI.ew and EWGUties.ew libraries are copied into my Euphoria\Include subfolder, and that EuWinGUI.dll and the icon are copied into my Euphoria\Bin subfolder. (BTW, is that right?? Am i meant to do this as well??)

I wasn't confident enough to copy these files to Euphoria itself, so i tried to run one of euwingui2 demos (eg button.exw) by double-clicking (BTW is that right, or should i have run it from the command line?). I got the following error msg:
C:\EUPHORIA\INCLUDE\EWGUties.ew:35
<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references:
..\..\include\ewguties.ew (35): NULL
return NULL ^

Have i made a mistake somewhere? I did read about a config file. I've never done one of them before, so if that's what's wrong, could someone please tell me exactly what i should do, and i'll study it once i've got euwingui2 running? Or could it be that euwingui2 doesn't run with OE 4.1 (in which case, is there another GUI library and designer that a newbie could use?) ?

Cheers
arch

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: a problem running euwingui2

Hi Archie.....

Few things

The euwingui dlls are 32 bit dlls, and while your system may be able to find them in euphoria/bin, but it will be able to find them in windows/Syswow64 and this is where you should place them on a 64 bit system. On a 32 bit system the should go in windows/system. Won't go into why now, google it if you want.

Second the path thing. IMHO the Eu environment variables are a a thing of the past and should be confined to history, and are entirely replacable by eu.cfg.

However, if you installed Eu with the installer, then you will have had a few environment variables added

Your %PATH% variable will have had c:\euphoria\bin added to it. This tells your system where to search when you enter a program. For instance you will be able to type eui from anywhere in your computer, and your system will be able to find it within c:\euphoria\bin. To check if it has been added, open up a command console (start/search box/ cmd), and type path or echo %PATH%. You should see the path enironment variable with the euphoria directory at the end.

The EUDIR and EUINC environment variables tell Euphoria where euphoria lives and where you are putting include files. The message

<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references: 
..\..\include\ewguties.ew (35): NULL 
return NULL ^ 

is an instruction for the interpreter to look in a very specific place. The error message is telling you it can't find it. The ..\ are instruction for one directory up, then go down into include and look for ewguties.ew. If your EUINC points to where you have some includes, it will look for these, by adding the instruction onto each of these - ie

c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include\..\..\include 

in other words

c:\include 

as well as the current location - 2 up - then into include

(This is only one example of the search - it will go through the rest trying to find it)

A simple solution would be just to put the includes directly into c:\euphoria\include, which you have kind of alluded to, but not done. It will clutter the include folder up, but it will work.

This is why I believe the environment variables add confusion rather than helping. The EUDIR is always searched for the include folder, but then the eu.cfg should be used to specify other include folders for individual specific programs or specify them directly in your program, eg

include c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include\ewguties.ew 

or if you use eu.cfg

-I  c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include 
(or wherever you put the includes) 
and change the program to just look for the include, and not specify a path 

Hope this has given you some pointers

Cheers

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: a problem running euwingui2

ChrisB said...

Hope this has given you some pointers

Cheers

It has! Thanks for being so clear, Chris. I need to digest the information piecemeal of course, but so far i'm getting it.

Thank you,
arch

4. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi Chris,

I'd like to ask about the config file please.

Let's say i wanted to set up euwingui2 and use a config file, and that i was starting from scratch. I've installed OE using the installer, which set my path automatically to c:\Euphoria. I want to use config files from now on. At this point do i need to set any environment variables myself? For example, do i need to set up EUDIR and EUINC?

Now let's say i've unzipped euwingui2 to c:\Euphoria\euwingui2. There's a \bin subdirectory (with euconvert.dll, euwingui.dll, euconvert.e, and euwingui.ico in it) and an \include subdirectory (with euconvertinc.e, euwingui.ew, and ewguties.ew in it). Now if i'm going to be using a config file, do i still need to copy the dll's to \windows\sysWOW64? (BTW that means copy, right, not move from their original location - correct?) Do i need to move or copy any other files from \euwingui2 to anywhere else, or will the config file somehow take care of things from the files' original location? And finally, what should i put in the config file, and where should i save it to?

Sorry for the tedium, but once i understand this i'll be able to manage other downloads without having to ask again - i hope smile

TIA
arch

5. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

[/quote]

archeopteryx_08 said...

Hi Chris,

I'd like to ask about the config file please.

Let's say i wanted to set up euwingui2 and use a config file, and that i was starting from scratch. I've installed OE using the installer, which set my path automatically to c:\Euphoria. I want to use config files from now on. At this point do i need to set any environment variables myself? For example, do i need to set up EUDIR and EUINC?

No, they're already set by the installer (AFIR). To test this, open a cmd console and type
path -> your system's path - which should show the path to eu's bin loacation
echo %PATH% does the same
echo %EUDIR% -> will give your eu folder location
echo %EUINC% will show you any additional includes you have created - you do not need this any more

archeopteryx_08 said...

Now let's say i've unzipped euwingui2 to c:\Euphoria\euwingui2. There's a \bin subdirectory (with euconvert.dll, euwingui.dll, euconvert.e, and euwingui.ico in it) and an \include subdirectory (with euconvertinc.e, euwingui.ew, and ewguties.ew in it). Now if i'm going to be using a config file, do i still need to copy the dll's to \windows\sysWOW64? (BTW that means copy, right, not move from their original location - correct?)

Move or copy, it doesn't matter. You can put the dlls in the same folder as your program, or in SysWoW64, your program will find them there. It should also find them any where in your systems path, but this is not always reliable, and theoretically you could specify a direct file location in your program, but this is also not always reliable.

archeopteryx_08 said...

Do i need to move or copy any other files from \euwingui2 to anywhere else, or will the config file somehow take care of things from the files' original location? And finally, what should i put in the config file, and where should i save it to?

Euphoria looks for include files in the default include folder (c:\euphoria\include), then in in the folders specified in the EUINC environment variable - yours will probably be empty, as you probably haven't set anything, and then in the contents of the eu.cfg file.
look at http://openeuphoria.org/search/results.wc?manual=1&s=eu.cfg for more info.
Basically eu.cfg should sit in the same folder as your program. Other eu.cfg s may be looked at, but the one in your folder is the last one, and the one that takes precedence. Get into the habit of always using one, it makes a lot of sense.
It contains a list of command line switches, which are acted on as if they were typed at the command line, but the most useful one is the -I switch (thats the third vowel, not an L or a one). This tells the eu interpreter to look in the folders specicied in here. so in your example the eu.cfg file would contain

-I ..\bin 
-I ..\include 
I'm assuming that you have put your program in a folder called [your program], ie at the same level as the bin and include with euwingui2, or to put another way
\euwingui2 
    |-\bin 
    |-\include 
    |-\[your program] 
The ..\ means go one up the tree
You are now telling the interpreter to include these folders in its search for the required include files. This has nothing to do with the location of the dlls, you can't tell eu where these are in the eu.cfg file.

archeopteryx_08 said...

Sorry for the tedium, but once i understand this i'll be able to manage other downloads without having to ask again - i hope smile

TIA
arch

Not a problem

Cheers

Chris

6. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi

Just a quick deviation from this subject - euwingui2 does NOT run with eu 4.05 - make sure you use eu 4.1. It's a dll interface thing again.

You can also delete \bin\euconvert.e - it is replaced by \include\euconvertinc.e (courtesy of Jim)

Cheers

Chris

7. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi

Couple of small changes and got this running with Phix. Generates runnable programs, just need topolish it up a little to run from within the IDE.

Cheers

Chris

8. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi Chris

Thanks for your advice.
The story so far...

• My environment variables are: EUDIR = c:\Euphoria and PATH = c:\Euphoria\bin;
  • I deleted EUINC - there was nothing in it, and i gather you said i don't need it; will Eu ever complain about there being no EUINC if i use cfg files from now on?
  • i unzipped euwingui2 to c:\Euphoria\euwingui2
  • i copied euconvert.dll and euwingui.dll (from c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\bin) to c:\Windows\sysWOW64
  • i didn't copy any include files (euconvertinc.e, euwingui.ew, and ewguties.ew - from c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include) to any other place (like c:\Euphoria\include)
  • then i went to c:\euwingui2\demos and created eu.cfg. It's got:
    -I ..\bin
    -I ..\include
    Just that. Literally. No absolute path. No [interpret:windows]. Absolutely nothing else.
  • then i tried to run c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\demos\button.exw
  • i got an ex.err file with "C:\EUPHORIA\INCLUDE\euconvertinc.e:41 in function v3_c_func() a machine level exception..." (and other things) - but at least Euphoria found the includes, right?

Can you tell from this whether i've set up Eu, euwingui2, and the cfg file correctly? And i am running Eu4.1 Is there anything else i should do??

TIA
    arch

9. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

archeopteryx_08 said...

Hi Chris

Thanks for your advice.
The story so far...

• My environment variables are: EUDIR = c:\Euphoria and PATH = c:\Euphoria\bin;
  • I deleted EUINC - there was nothing in it, and i gather you said i don't need it; will Eu ever complain about there being no EUINC if i use cfg files from now on?
  • i unzipped euwingui2 to c:\Euphoria\euwingui2
  • i copied euconvert.dll and euwingui.dll (from c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\bin) to c:\Windows\sysWOW64
  • i didn't copy any include files (euconvertinc.e, euwingui.ew, and ewguties.ew - from c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\include) to any other place (like c:\Euphoria\include)
  • then i went to c:\euwingui2\demos and created eu.cfg. It's got:
    -I ..\bin
    -I ..\include
    Just that. Literally. No absolute path. No [interpret:windows]. Absolutely nothing else.
  • then i tried to run c:\Euphoria\euwingui2\demos\button.exw
  • i got an ex.err file with "C:\EUPHORIA\INCLUDE\euconvertinc.e:41 in function v3_c_func() a machine level exception..." (and other things) - but at least Euphoria found the includes, right?

Can you tell from this whether i've set up Eu, euwingui2, and the cfg file correctly? And i am running Eu4.1 Is there anything else i should do??

TIA
    arch

Nearly there. Yes it did. I know this because you got an error, and not a program not found. I also know that it found all the relevant includes. What version of eu are you using?

Cheers

Chris

10. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

ChrisB said...

Couple of small changes and got this running with Phix. Generates runnable programs, just need to polish it up a little to run from within the IDE.

OH - Well done! smile

What did you replace AM=E_ATOM and SQ=E_SEQUENCE with?

Pete

11. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

petelomax said...
ChrisB said...

Couple of small changes and got this running with Phix. Generates runnable programs, just need to polish it up a little to run from within the IDE.

OH - Well done! smile

What did you replace AM=E_ATOM and SQ=E_SEQUENCE with?

Pete

Hi

Thankyou!

Copied this

public constant 
	--** integer 
	E_INTEGER = #06000004, 
	--** atom 
	E_ATOM    = #07000004, 
	--** sequence 
	E_SEQUENCE= #08000004, 
	--** object 
	E_OBJECT  = #09000004 

from std\dll.e, and in euwingui.ew, added it just before

AM = E_ATOM 

As I said just need to polish off the executable calling to create and euwingui : Phix edition

also commented out the std\includes in the euwingui includes, and added reg.e to the Includes folder.

Cheers

Chris

12. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

ChrisB said...

Nearly there. What version of eu are you using?

Cheers

Chris

I'm using the version that's available from here: http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/windows_download.wc
i downloaded the oE 4.1B2 Win64 installer. when saved, the file is named euphoria-4.1.0-x64.exe
i accepted all the default settings, and allowed the program to set the environment variables automatically
then i rebooted, saved euwingui2, and did the tweaks we've discussed in the past few days...

BTW, i did install Eu 4.0 first (to c:\Euphoria), again, using the installer provided and allowing it to change the environment. Then i used the uninstaller, and replaced it with Eu 4.1. I don't suppose i need to go back and mess with the registry, do i?? The manual talks about doing that, but i haven't through lack of confidence. Could that be the problem?

Cheers,
arch

13. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

archeopteryx_08 said...
ChrisB said...

Nearly there. What version of eu are you using?

i downloaded the oE 4.1B2 Win64 installer. when saved, the file is named euphoria-4.1.0-x64.exe

ChrisB said...

The euwingui dlls are 32 bit dlls

You are going to need the 32 bit version of oE

Pete

14. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi, yes, these are 32 bit dlls, so you must use 32 bit Eu, and it must be version 4.1.

Cheers

Chris

15. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

petelomax said...
ChrisB said...

The euwingui dlls are 32 bit dlls

You are going to need the 32 bit version of oE

Pete

Success!
Thanks Chris; thanks Pete - that did the trick!

I would like to ask one more question in this thread, and then i'm done. In simple terms, what does "64 bit" mean? What does "32 bit" mean? I've got a "64 bit" machine, yet euwingui is a "32 bit" program. So a "64" machine can run a "32" program. Can a "32" machine run a "64" program? If i use my "64" machine running a "32" program (eg euwingui) to create my own program (my_prog.exw), will my program automatically be a "32", or "64" program? And will it fail to run on either a "32" or a "64" machine?

Thanks for any clarification about this, and for your help over the past few days.
arch

16. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Hi

Google will doa waaaaay better job than me

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=64%20bit%20vs%2032%20bit

Essentially,

Program 32 bit computer 64 bit computer
32 bit exe yes yes
32 bit dll yes yes
64 bit exe no yes (NOTE - a 64 bit exe cannot call a 32 bit dll)
64 bit dll no yes (and vice versa)
Memory 4 GB Max Urm, loads more

Cheers

Chris

17. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Excellent Chris! All done. Thank you.

arch

18. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

ChrisB said...

Urm, loads more

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tom/2008/04/10/chat-question-memory-limits-for-32-bit-and-64-bit-processes/

32-bit OS 64-bit OS
32-bit process 2 GB 4 GB
32-bit process with /3GB 3 GB N/A
64-bit process N/A 16 TB

-Greg

19. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question

Ha!

Isn't that what I said?

Chris

20. Re: a problem running euwingui2 + config file question