1. Windows users, a 10 sec. test

Please find an .svg image file, any .svg file, save it in a folder, and open the folder so that you see icons of the files therein.

Do you see a thumbnail of the .svg, or a generic icon? Do you see thumbnails of other image types?

Report results along with Win version here. Thank you.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

irv said...

Please find an .svg image file, any .svg file, save it in a folder, and open the folder so that you see icons of the files therein.

Do you see a thumbnail of the .svg, or a generic icon? Do you see thumbnails of other image types?

I have Windows 7 (64 bit) and the icon is the generic Internet Explorer icon. Doubleclicking the file opens the app.

Spock

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

irv said...

Testing win10 on my netbook.

• .svg image shows an "e" icon
    • opened in Edge web browser
  • .png shows a "generic picture" icon
    • opened in photo viewer
  • .bmp shows a "generic picture" icon
    • opened in photo viewer

_tom

4. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

Windows 10 Pro
Apparently near zero native support for .svg files - windows paint, paint.net (even after latest update), and greenfish icon editor all refused to open svg files, and windows explorer displays a generic icon, for svg files, whereas png/ico/jpg/gif/bmp all show decent thumbnails. Images are however correctly shown in IE, Edge, Chrome, and Opera.

5. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

Ok thanks. I guess I'll have to convert all the GTK icons to .png or something that Windows can handle.

6. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

irv said...

Ok thanks. I guess I'll have to convert all the GTK icons to .png or something that Windows can handle.

Sorry, I guess I'm a bit late to this thread. I could have told you straightaway that Windows does not natively support SVG images.

You can use ImageMagick, Inkscape, or svgexport to convert the SVG images to PNG. You could automate the process with a Makefile.

# Makefile to convert all SVG images to PNG in the current directory (untested). 
# To run, just type 'make' at the command line. Use -j for multiple threads. 
# 
# $ make -j4  # runs 4 jobs at once 

all : $(patsubst %.svg,%.png,$(wildcard *.svg)) 

%.png : %.svg 
    convert -size 16x16 $< $@ 

-Greg

7. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

Excellent !

8. Re: Windows users, a 10 sec. test

I now have a win1064 running.

Unlike my win1032 , I'm having trouble installing a gtk runtime. What package are you using?

_tom

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu