1. XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

It would be nice to port redy to linux soon. I have always wanted to, but i just don't have time to make wrappers, between my day-job and all the RedyCode and redylib features i'm working on, not to mention several other redy-based apps that i would like to release someday.

Because redy has its own widget toolkit, it needs API that provide direct control of windows, keyboard/mouse event processing, and graphics. It seems like XCB and Cairo are the best choices.

Would anyone like to work on eu 4.x wrappers for these? I propose this: create wrappers for both libraries and a demo program that creates a window with some demo graphics drawn on it. Print text to the window that shows current keyboard, mouse, and window geometry info to prove that event processing works. Maybe make some other demos, too. Release it as it's own project, separate from redy. (It could be useful on its own for other graphics projects or window manipulation on linux).

Once that is released, i could begin incorporating it into redy's oswin library. I will need to do lots of cleanup in the win32 wrappers at the same time, so that the oswin API is platform-agnostic.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

ryanj said...

It would be nice to port redy to linux soon. I have always wanted to, but i just don't have time to make wrappers, between my day-job and all the RedyCode and redylib features i'm working on, not to mention several other redy-based apps that i would like to release someday.

Because redy has its own widget toolkit, it needs API that provide direct control of windows, keyboard/mouse event processing, and graphics. It seems like XCB and Cairo are the best choices.

Would anyone like to work on eu 4.x wrappers for these? I propose this: create wrappers for both libraries and a demo program that creates a window with some demo graphics drawn on it. Print text to the window that shows current keyboard, mouse, and window geometry info to prove that event processing works. Maybe make some other demos, too. Release it as it's own project, separate from redy. (It could be useful on its own for other graphics projects or window manipulation on linux).

Once that is released, i could begin incorporating it into redy's oswin library. I will need to do lots of cleanup in the win32 wrappers at the same time, so that the oswin API is platform-agnostic.

I could take a crack at making a wrapper for Cairo. I'm on a Windows system, so I can't really test, or I'd have to go through a lot of loops and holes, especially since GTK isn't really all that much supported on Windows. Though I did glance over the Cairo API and it seems pretty easy to follow along. So perhaps, I could develop the wrapper and someone else test it for me? I'll make it so it is cross-platform.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

Icy_Viking said...
ryanj said...

I could take a crack at making a wrapper for Cairo. I'm on a Windows system, so I can't really test, or I'd have to go through a lot of loops and holes, especially since GTK isn't really all that much supported on Windows. Though I did glance over the Cairo API and it seems pretty easy to follow along. So perhaps, I could develop the wrapper and someone else test it for me? I'll make it so it is cross-platform.

On second thought, maybe redy just needs an xlib api wrapper, with an xcb wrapper to make certain things easier. I was hoping one of the eu programmers that is good at making wrappers could wrap those functions.

Still, i think the eu community could benefit from a cross-platform Cairo wrapper.

4. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

ryanj said...
Icy_Viking said...
ryanj said...

On second thought, maybe redy just needs an xlib api wrapper, with an xcb wrapper to make certain things easier. I was hoping one of the eu programmers that is good at making wrappers could wrap those functions.

Still, i think the eu community could benefit from a cross-platform Cairo wrapper.

EuGtk wraps cairo. unlike windows, many linux already have gtk installed or is easily obtainable and installed from a package manager. gtk has to be installed in a particular way so the libs can find the other parts. this is one of the problems getting it working in windows.

the extra overhead might be a problem too. I just tried to run the latest version on windows and ran out of memory. I have other stuff going on and not much memory to begin with, will try again next reboot, it might be possible to cut out everything that isn't related to the few basics you need to get redylib working.

a function list of what's needed will simplify the job for anyone trying to make a new wrap or adapt an existing wrap. there is an old cairo wrap in the euphoria archive for the claro gui lib. it works on win32 but was never updated to eu4. I copied cairo.h, adding the euphoria routines while commenting out the c code. with all the work on cairo over the years, it may even be faster than the primitive win32 drawing code redylib uses now. it might be worth throwing together a win32cairo port to see how it works.

5. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

Well I found an old Win32 port of cairo. I'm using that DLL to make a wrapper for Cairo. I also noticed an old cairo wrapper in the archives. I also took a quick glance at Cygwin, maybe it might be possible to make a xlib wrapper using that since I'm on windows? I'll see what I can do.

6. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

Icy_Viking said...

Well I found an old Win32 port of cairo. I'm using that DLL to make a wrapper for Cairo. I also noticed an old cairo wrapper in the archives. I also took a quick glance at Cygwin, maybe it might be possible to make a xlib wrapper using that since I'm on windows? I'll see what I can do.

If your PC is new enough to boot from an USB flash drive, you can install a distribuition like Puppy linux in it and just run from your windows machine.
Even if you port the draw functions of Redy to cairo, you will need something to open a window and read mouse and keyboard in linux (can be a gtk window with a cairo canvas or a low level Xlib window).

7. Re: XCB and Cairo wrappers needed for redy

elias_maluko said...
Icy_Viking said...

If your PC is new enough to boot from an USB flash drive, you can install a distribuition like Puppy linux in it and just run from your windows machine.
Even if you port the draw functions of Redy to cairo, you will need something to open a window and read mouse and keyboard in linux (can be a gtk window with a cairo canvas or a low level Xlib window).

I can also use virtualbox to run a linux distro. Although a small linux distro would be better suited for me.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu