1. iup news// iup4eu3

Based on Ghaberek's iup4eu, Charles Newbould has created a IUP package with a small difference in the Icallback function.

I loaded EuPortable by Andreas Wagner which includes Wee by Pete Eberlein.

(I tested using virtual ~WinXP using VirtualBox.)

Success!

All of the elements for a user friendly Euphoria programming environment now exist.

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

_tom said...

All of the elements for a user friendly Euphoria programming environment now exist.

Can you elaborate? Or point me in that direction...? grin

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

euphoric said...

Can you elaborate? Or point me in that direction...? grin

The essential "kit" for programming looks like:

• Euphoria
  • WEE editor-IDE
  • IUP Gui
  • Documentation
  • The kit should be installed with "one click."

This is available for Windows right now.

Portable OE:

Our wiki in the downloads windows has links to Andreas OE package. Some may like the idea of a "portable Euphoria" that does not require a formal installation--less risk in testing it out, run it from USB, ...

Portable OE already has tinEWG as a gui so it is already a complete package. The advantage of IUP is that the package will be similar to what we can create for Linux.

http://euphoria.indonesianet.de/eup/EuPortable-en.exe

IUP wrapper:

I'm not going to start an argument as to who has the "best" wrapper for IUP. The biggest thanks go to ghaberk.

The Newbould download (based on the work by ghaberk) is:

http://rapideuphoria.com/iup4eu3.zip

Wish list:

If we can persuade Andreas to package the IUP gui with his portable OE then we have a "complete" starter kit for programming. The "One Click" programming package is here.

_tom

4. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

I do not find it helpful to confound two different submissions, which have no need to work together?

This is not the first post on the subject which mistakes a wrapper for a library. Library iup4eu3 is not "based on iup4eu"; but is, in all but one respect (an EU3/4 incompatibility), compatible with it. It was written, entirely with Greg's knowledge, to encourage all Euphoria programmers to get on and write some GUIs, regardless of which platform and version of Euphoria they have. Sadly there are not a lot of signs that folks are doing that. I even had the hope it might induce someone to add some new examples and/or some more of IUP's functionality.

It is likely that some of the ideas in the library will become part of iup4eu eventually.

For the record, I have given up using WEE because it has a habit of saving the script in one tab under the name of another - too much of a disaster area for me!

5. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

dr_can said...

This is not the first post on the subject which mistakes a wrapper for a library. Library iup4eu3 is not "based on iup4eu"; but is, in all but one respect (an EU3/4 incompatibility), compatible with it.

It seems to me that iup4eu does not exist at all.

But we do have EuIup by AndyP and IupEu by Jeremy Cowgar.

So what are we talking about?

Regards

kinz

6. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

dr_can said...

For the record, I have given up using WEE because it has a habit of saving the script in one tab under the name of another - too much of a disaster area for me!

Which version of WEE were you using and under which platform? That sounds like a problem which may have occurred in a very early version of WEE, but version 0.47 has been out for 5 months now and I certainly have not had that problem under Linux.

Regards, Ken

7. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

kinzz said...
dr_can said...

This is not the first post on the subject which mistakes a wrapper for a library. Library iup4eu3 is not "based on iup4eu"; but is, in all but one respect (an EU3/4 incompatibility), compatible with it.

Why do you say that? A link is here: https://bitbucket.org/ghaberek/iup4eu

kinzz said...

But we do have EuIup by AndyP and IupEu by Jeremy Cowgar.

Jeremy's version is called EuIUP: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/114058.wc

Just for reference, Andy P's version can be found through http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/129915.wc

kinzz said...

So what are we talking about?

Regards

kinz

ghaberek's iup4eu.

8. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

jimcbrown said...
kinzz said...
dr_can said...

Why do you say that? A link is here: https://bitbucket.org/ghaberek/iup4eu

ghaberek's iup4eu.

Ok, thanks, I see now.
ghaberek just didn't submit his work to the RDS Archive.

Regards

kinz

9. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

jimcbrown said...

A link is here: https://bitbucket.org/ghaberek/iup4eu
ghaberek's iup4eu.

Sorry, my Opera 38.0.2220.41 can not download that zip,
ghaberek-iup4eu-6d177f45955d.zip, hangs.
But Firefox 47.0.1 downloads fine.

Ok, thanks, I'll see what is that iup4eu now.

Regards

kinz

10. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

My Opera 38.0.2220.41 downloads it just fine.

mike

11. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

Mike777b said...

My Opera 38.0.2220.41 downloads it just fine.

My one creates a temporary file, say, d95c.tmp,
and then hangs. But this d95c.tmp is already fully identical
to Greg's zip. I can just rename d95c.tmp to iup4eu.zip
and use it as a working copy of the original package.

Regards

kinz

12. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

dr_can said...

encourage all Euphoria programmers to get on and write some GUIs, regardless of which platform and version of Euphoria they have. Sadly there are not a lot of signs that folks are doing that. I even had the hope it might induce someone to add some new examples and/or some more of IUP's functionality.

FYI, I've written/collected about a dozen new IUP-based samples in the last few months, and currently working on three big ones (test/terror, pdemo, and edix). Progress is fair, but especially the last one (a port of Edita) is a very long haul.

13. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

_tom said...

I loaded EuPortable by Andreas Wagner which includes Wee by Pete Eberlein. ~ Portable OE already has tinEWG as a gui so it is already a complete package. The advantage of IUP is that the package will be similar to what we can create for Linux. ~ If we can persuade Andreas to package the IUP gui with his portable OE then we have a "complete" starter kit for programming. The "One Click" programming package is here.

I suspect that IUP appeals only to Windows users. Is anyone pleased with any version of IUP on Linux? I On Ubuntu I have only been able to run Habarek's IUP and editor. It is difficult to get excited about IUP on Linux with such a mature feature rich library as Irv Mullins EuGTK.

Moreover, Andreas "Portable OE" or "EuPortable" is a Windows package using a "subset" of a version of Watcom C and Euphoria 4.06 when Euphoria 4.1 is in Beta 2. Stranger still is that "EuPortable" includes WEE 0.47 which requires GTK3 and EuGTK.

Does IUP really offer hope of being more functional than EuGTK on Windows? What is going on?

Irv Mullins said...

New with version 4.9.0: I have tested EuGTK with Windows 7 and the 64-bit version of the Gtk libraries for Windows. Sorry, I do not have a 32-bit Windows installation to test. It works well, with only a few relatively minor glitches, related to use of theme icons and locale. Euphoria programs running on Windows have the Windows native look and feel (translucent titlebars, etc).

Windows users can download the appropriate GTK3 libraries (32 or 64 bit) from gtk.org download and unzip them into a new C:gtk directory. Then read the instructions and run the setup programs which are found in the C:gtk bin subdirectory. Unless you run these 4 setup programs, you won't have access to the right fonts, and er.. other Windows stuff.

reference:

EuGTK

Download GTK Windows

Regards, Ken

14. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

I, for example, could not run EuGTK in my Windows 7 32bit machine.
It froze the machine to the point that i need to do a hard reset.
Another show stopper is that GTK3's opengl viewport in windows dont work very well yet.
I believe that IUP appeals to euphoria users because its the simplest, yet complete, toolkit around.

15. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

--Broken IUP4EU3 demos under Ubuntu 16.04-64bit 

calendar.exw 
dialog.exw 
frame.exw 
getfile.exw  
menus.exw 
messagedlg.exw 

-- Donovan tutorial Demos 
Example8.exw -- two buttons in a box 
Example8a.exw -- two buttons in a box 
Example8b.exw -- two buttons in a box 
Example9.exw  -- nested boxes 
Example10.exw -- using frames 
Example11.exw -- using tabs 
Example12a.exw -- using a gauge 
Example13.exw -- using a gauge 

Regards, Ken

16. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

K_D_R said...

Does IUP really offer hope of being more functional than EuGTK on Windows? What is going on?

reference:

EuGTK

Download GTK Windows

Regards, Ken

OK, thought I'd give it another go. Here's what happened:

Downloaded MSYS2, wouldn't run. Eventually realised it had downloaded 27MB out of 60MB. Re-downloaded, this time it worked. 
Ran pacman -Sy pacman (+36MB), restarted msys2 
Ran pacman -Su (+18MB), error with cygwin1.dll. Found 3, the most recent of which was 64-bit, so I renamed them all. 
msys2 would not start. 
uninstalled msys2 completely, reinstalled. 
Ran pacman -Su (+18MB), error with cygwin1.dll. 
msys2 would not start. 
Uninstalled msys2 completely, unrenamed the latest cygwin1.dll. 
Reinstallation failed. I now have C:\msys32\home\Pete with no admin access, and **no way to delete it**. 
[Error Applying Security. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.] 
Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait until I next buy a new PC then.

Pete

17. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

petelomax said...
K_D_R said...

reference:

EuGTK

Download GTK Windows

Regards, Ken

OK, thought I'd give it another go. Here's what happened:

I'm familiar with mingw and cygwin (which MSYS is based off of), so I might be able to help here.

I did not expect it to be this complicated though. Back in 2001 when I looked at it, you just grabbed a zip of the binaries off of a web site somewhere (for GTk 1.3) and everything worked.

petelomax said...

Why this step, out of curiosity? It's not mentioned in https://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/2014/08/01/how-to-build-your-gtk-application-on-windows/

I wonder if the reason for the multiple cygwin1.dll(s) below is because of this, resulting in a only-partly upgraded msys2 or something. (Upgrade pacman requires newer cygwin1.dll but older msys2 requires the older cygwin1.dll)

petelomax said...

Ran pacman -Su (+18MB), error with cygwin1.dll. Found 3, the most recent of which was 64-bit, so I renamed them all. msys2 would not start.

msys2 requires cygwin1.dll - not sure why you had three of them though. Something seems broken here (likely in msys2 itself) but if you had renamed two of three at a time, trying each cygwin1.dll in turn, you might have succeeded in getting it to run. (OTOH, you might not have.)

petelomax said...

uninstalled msys2 completely, reinstalled. Ran pacman -Sy pacman (+36MB), restarted msys2 Ran pacman -Su (+18MB), error with cygwin1.dll. msys2 would not start.

So you repeated the same steps and got the same result. Not entirely unexpected.

petelomax said...

Uninstalled msys2 completely, unrenamed the latest cygwin1.dll. Reinstallation failed.

The newer cygwin1.dll is likely not compatible with the older msys2 binaries that the installer was trying to run to install msys2. Hence the failure. (Or so I reckon, at least.)

Again, however, this does seem needlessly complicated....

petelomax said...

I now have C:\msys32\home\Pete with no admin access, and no way to delete it. [Error Applying Security. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.]

Windoze brain-damage. Seriously. I believe (as a matter of faith) that people deserve to have stuff like this happen to them for using Windoze.

petelomax said...

Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait until I next buy a new PC then.

That said, the easy way to get rid of it would be to grab a GNU/Linux LiveCD, reboot, and wipe out the directory from there.

If one wanted to insist on using Windoze to clean up (say because one was not in a position to reboot anytime in the near future, for example), there are some exoteric methods that can be tried. For example, try using a SYSTEM cmd prompt and running a deltree replacement ( https://www.raymond.cc/blog/deltree-command-replacement-in-windows-2000-or-windows-xp/ ). (And, to get a SYSTEM cmd prompt in the first place, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/77528/how-do-you-run-cmd-exe-under-the-local-system-account )

Other, simpler methods may also work: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in-the-container https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/permission-error-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in/93ea883f-853f-4981-a697-928bfbc71642?page=2

18. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

jimcbrown said...
petelomax said...

Why this step, out of curiosity? It's not mentioned in https://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/2014/08/01/how-to-build-your-gtk-application-on-windows/

Just following https://msys2.github.io/

19. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

Has anyone tried:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk3win/

Suposedly msi installers for both 32 and 64 bit platforms.

20. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

irv said...

Has anyone tried:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk3win/

Suposedly msi installers for both 32 and 64 bit platforms.

Testing with vitualbox WinXP

• install oE 41
  • run gtk3win installer
    • installs to c:/programfiles/gtk-3.8.1
      (incompatible with your search path)
  • copy gtk files to c:/gtk/bin
  • download EuGTK4.11.10
  • run demos...fail

Error loading c:/gtk/bin/librsvg-2-2.dll 
E:/demos/GtkEngine.e:111 
true/false conditon must be an ATOM 

21. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

What happens if you change the winlibs constant (line 76, or thereabouts) to point to the actual install location?

edit: and do you have that dll?

22. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

Also, possibly related, my Windows 7 cannot handle svg images. Even explorer shows a generic icon rather than a thumbnail. IE can view them properly. Perhaps some win dll which gtk is dependin upon is missing? And whereas my version of gtk was compiled so as to ignore this, yours fails instead? Just a guess.

23. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

irv said...

What happens if you change the winlibs constant (line 76, or thereabouts) to point to the actual install location?

edit: and do you have that dll?

The librsvg-2-2.dll is missing from the gtk installer. (At least in the 32-bit version).

I commented out line 88, the specific line that tries to load the .dll in the engine and ran some of the demos with no problem.

_tom

24. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

So, I guess the best approach is for Eugtk to not fail if missing that dll. Is my win 7's inability to view svg files common, or do most windows Explorers handle these properly?

Edit: problem solved with next version of EuGTK - which will bypass the svg library altogether and use the lower level GdkPixbuf functions to create images from svg files.

Solution for now is to comment the line as noted earlier, and if you must use an svg file, create a GdkPixbuf and create an image from that pixbuf.

25. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

The version I was last using when I gave it up as a bad job was 0.47, running on an 18-month old HP PC under the latest version of Windows 10 (64-bit). The updater confirms that all modules are up-to-date.

PS There are lots of other problems I have with the editor (eg. incorrect association of errors with the currently-opened file, sudden failure to run/start, having happily being doing so, apparent failure to detect contents of eu.cfg.)

26. Re: iup news// iup4eu3

dr_can said...

The version I was last using when I gave it up as a bad job was 0.47, running on an 18-month old HP PC under the latest version of Windows 10 (64-bit). The updater confirms that all modules are up-to-date.

PS There are lots of other problems I have with the editor (eg. incorrect association of errors with the currently-opened file, sudden failure to run/start, having happily being doing so, apparent failure to detect contents of eu.cfg.)

I probably use Wee as heavily as anyone here (EuGTK is a lot of code!), and I've not had those problems. But I only rarely use Windows .

(Was going to say I Wee more than anyone, but that seems inappropriate somehow.)

27. Re: Attention Irv - EuGTK 4.11.11 Release Date? Forked from: iup news// iup4eu3

irv said...

July 26:

So, I guess the best approach is for Eugtk to not fail if missing that dll. Is my win 7's inability to view svg files common, or do most windows Explorers handle these properly?

Edit: problem solved with next version of EuGTK - which will bypass the svg library altogether and use the lower level GdkPixbuf functions to create images from svg files.

Solution for now is to comment the line as noted earlier, and if you must use an svg file, create a GdkPixbuf and create an image from that pixbuf.

I have been watching the EuGTK Home Page like a hawk for a month, hoping to catch the next version. Any idea when it will be released?

Thanks again for EuGTK!

Ken

Forked into: EuGTK 4.11.11?

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu