1. RedyCode 0.9.2 released

RedyCode version 0.9.2 has been officially released! Many important features have been added:

• Automatic error report! Go to error, fast save & run, view full report, automatically delete ex.err when error is cleared.
  • Improved project tree refresh Automatically refresh when window gets focus, display info when file has changed
  • External file protection displays info when a file is outside the project, defaults to read-only until you click Edit button to turn off read-only mode
  • Find/replace! forward/reverse, case sensitive or whole word options, replace all in file
  • Go to line number by clicking a routine in list of routines, or manually type in a line number
  • Bookmarks! Click on a line number to toggle bookmark, click in the bookmarks list to jump to line number
  • Double-click smart word/bracket selection makes it easy to select words, identifiers, whitespace, quotes, or matching brackets. Also works when you double-click and drag.
  • Multitasking improvements in textdoc.e now displays a thin progress bar at the top of the editor it it takes too long to process tokens and wordwrapping, and has smoother task switching so you can continue interacting with the GUI while it is busy. (This will hopefully became less important as I continue to optimize the graphics engine and textdoc.e processing loops).
  • many subtle improvements and bug fixes

I believe in not interrupting the user's workflow. As you will see in this release, I carefully designed these new features to not use popup dialogs as much as possible, so the file information and navigation controls are embedded in the main window out of the way of the text editor.

New Hotkeys:

• Ctrl+F - find (if text is selected within a single line, it will be copied to the Find text box)
  • Ctrl+H - replace (if text is selected within a single line, it will be copied to the Find text box)
  • F3 - find next (if Find textbox has focus, press enter first to begin search)
  • Shift+F3 - find previous
  • Ctrl+G - goto line (type number, press enter)
  • Ctrl+S - save current file

These new features should make the editor much more useable. I have actually been using RedyCode more and more to edit it's own source code. (It takes time to get used to a new editor, even if I designed it!) In the next few weeks, there may be another release with Undo working, editor performance improvements, and possibly some basic auto-complete and visual widget builder. It will depend on how much free time I have. After that, look forward to v1.0 with many improvements to RedyLib itself and complete API documentation early 2017.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Oops! I forgot the download link: http://redy-project.org/downloads.php

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

ryanj said...

Oops! I forgot the download link: http://redy-project.org/downloads.php

Quick test gives a drawing prob with menues on Win10 64bit

http://euphoria.indonesianet.de/redy_drawing_prob.jpg

The problem vanishes if the mouse hovers over the menue or the toolbar.

Redy works with Eu4.0.x with a little change (BITS32 is not defined in Eu4.0.x)

Andreas

4. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

andi49 said...

Hi

Quick test gives a drawing prob with menues on Win10 64bit

http://euphoria.indonesianet.de/redy_drawing_prob.jpg

The problem vanishes if the mouse hovers over the menue or the toolbar.

I have seen this problem a few times, and 2 other specific graphics glitches, usually after closing a project and opening another one. I can't seem to cause it to happen often enough to know exactly what triggers it yet, but it must be related to the latest changes.

andi49 said...

Redy works with Eu4.0.x with a little change (BITS32 is not defined in Eu4.0.x)

That's good to know. When i have more time, i'll try making it compatible with 4.0.x for the next release.

5. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

So...is anyone even using RedyCode? I'm making improvements, but if there's no indication that anyone is interested, i might as well not waste time with releases until version 1.0.

Did anyone try find/replace, bookmarks, and goto routine/line features? I was hoping to get some feedback.

6. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ryanj said...

So...is anyone even using RedyCode? I'm making improvements, but if there's no indication that anyone is interested, i might as well not waste time with releases until version 1.0.

Did anyone try find/replace, bookmarks, and goto routine/line features? I was hoping to get some feedback.

I've used it a little bit. I think it has a lot of potential. I'd like to see more of it.

7. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi Ryan

Just downloaded the latest copy and copied it over. Is this the correct update process, or should we be deleting the contents of the RedyCode directory first.

Does Redy still require eu 4.1 to run, as if so, there are several dlls that simply won't run with it, sqlite being a case in point.

Don't get despondent about the lack of feedback, this is a small community, but this doesn't necasserily mean that this project is not a worthy one. The lack of feedback could also be construed as positive in itself.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Chris

8. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

I am anxiously looking forward to being able to use it. I have a working version of 4.05, but have never gone through the process of putting 4.1 on the system. [I'm sorry, but there are some of us who are incapable of juggling two installed versions and the beta tag on 4.1 means "wait" to me.] So, I'm waiting for explicit instructions of what to download, an example of where to put it (e.g., c:\euRedy\), what the eu.cfg file should look like so that it will run, where the eu.cfg file should be put, what needs to be in the %PATH%, whether there are any mandates as to other environment variables such as EUBIN and what a .bat file would look like that sets the environment variables properly.

The important thing is that the installation of whatever is necessary to run and test Redy needs to peacefully co-exist with a production installation of 4.05.

If those instructions exist somewhere, just provide a link!

mike

9. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi Ryan

Just downloaded the latest copy and copied it over. Is this the correct update process, or should we be deleting the contents of the RedyCode directory first.

It is probably safe to copy over top of it. I'm still thinking about how to design the install process for v1.0.

ChrisB said...

Does Redy still require eu 4.1 to run, as if so, there are several dlls that simply won't run with it, sqlite being a case in point.

Yes, but i will work on 4.0 compatibility for the next release.

ChrisB said...

Don't get despondent about the lack of feedback, this is a small community, but this doesn't necasserily mean that this project is not a worthy one. The lack of feedback could also be construed as positive in itself.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Chris

Thanks. I'll probably release another 0.9.x version in a few weeks.

10. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Mike777b said...

I am anxiously looking forward to being able to use it. I have a working version of 4.05, but have never gone through the process of putting 4.1 on the system. [I'm sorry, but there are some of us who are incapable of juggling two installed versions and the beta tag on 4.1 means "wait" to me.] So, I'm waiting for explicit instructions of what to download, an example of where to put it (e.g., c:\euRedy\), what the eu.cfg file should look like so that it will run, where the eu.cfg file should be put, what needs to be in the %PATH%, whether there are any mandates as to other environment variables such as EUBIN and what a .bat file would look like that sets the environment variables properly.

The important thing is that the installation of whatever is necessary to run and test Redy needs to peacefully co-exist with a production installation of 4.05.

If those instructions exist somewhere, just provide a link!

mike

According to andi49, "Redy works with Eu4.0.x with a little change (BITS32 is not defined in Eu4.0.x)" I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but i'll work on it for the next release.

However, RedyCode comes with it's own bare-minimum version of eu 4.1, which is used by default when you run a project .exw within the IDE. Unfortunately, the IDE doesn't have a Bind feature yet. You would have to bind a redy app through the command line for now.

I will try to put installation and configuration instructions with screenshots on the website soon.

11. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Here's the current plan:

I decided to do one more pre-1.0 release: v0.9.3. There are many little graphics performance optimizations and bug fixes i'm working on, as well as new IDE features. It may take a few days up to a few weeks, depending on how things go.

After that, i will switch to working on the v1.0.dev branch, which may have more frequent updates, but i won't take time to make official releases. You'll have to check out the source repository instead. I estimate it will take about 6 months until a 1.0.0 release candidate is ready. 1.0 will be much different from 0.9, because a better installation/update method will be implemented, large parts of redylib will be reworked, the API (and documentation) will be complete, and the IDE will have many more features such as: context help, visual widget editor, project templates, debugging system, gui frontend for binding/translating/building apps, etc.

12. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi Ryan

had a quick project in mind, thought I'd give Redy a go.

When you start Redy, you don't get a default bare minimum app, ready to add widgets and procedures and functions, you get Redypad.

There should be more example programs, though in all fairness this is something I / we can all help with - win32 lib demos equivalency if you like.

There should be a run button on the button bar, to quickly run a program (its so much trouble pressing appliction / run, makes me want to give up! (joke)). Edit - I see there alredy (sic) is - it just doesn't have a pretty icon associated with it - it needs an icon. Honestly.

A nice feature to have would be to group user created includes in the source tree, which would make organising larger programs more logical in some cases - ie have an 'interface' main program, with user created / optional includes in the tree for quick access / open in tabs as needed.

You may consider adding default widget adds - ie, I want a button, so I'll select it from the 'widget list' and the code for a button is generated and placed in the editor, which I can then edit / modify etc. Or I want a listbox....etc.

Oh, and I still want eu4.05 compatability.

Cheers

Chris

13. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi Ryan

How do I modify the properties of a widget?

create_main_window() creates a main window with a container cntMain.

I thought I could use cmd_set_props(widget_get_id("cntMain"), { {"margin", "20"} }) to modify its properies, but this isn't locatable within the includes, or do I need to use a specific include?

The first of many questions.

Cheers

Chris Burch

14. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

you can use eu40 with redylib version 0.92 if you add a few lines of code.

in include/redylib_0_9/oswin/win32/win32dll.e

object VOID 

--add these lines for eu40 

ifdef EU4_0 then 
	public function peek_pointer(object x) 
		return peek4u(x) 
	end function 
end ifdef  

there are difference in eu40 and eu41 tokenize and colorize that may require additional tweaks for compatibility in the next version.

note: RedyCode comes with eu41, so you only would want to add this if you wanted to run with a 4.0x version of euphoria

15. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

ne1uno said...
ChrisB said...

It seems, Redy is allready ready for EU4 blink

adding the following define is enough, if you paste it at the top of win32dll.e

ifdef EU4_0 then 
    with define BITS32 
end ifdef 

Andreas

16. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

andi49 said...

Hi

ne1uno said...
ChrisB said...

It seems, Redy is allready ready for EU4 blink

adding the following define is enough, if you paste it at the top of win32dll.e

ifdef EU4_0 then 
    with define BITS32 
end ifdef 

Andreas

BITS32 isn't used anywhere in redylib or eu40

maybe you have some mixed eu41 libs being included somehow.? with EUINC or eu.cfg

inb4 use at your own risk, only euphoria 4.1 officially supported

17. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

ne1uno said...

maybe you have some mixed eu41 libs being included somehow.? with EUINC or eu.cfg

Hm, this file: http://redy-project.org/files/RedyCode-0.9.2.zip

in euphoria/include/redylib_0_9/oswin/win32/win32dll.e

line 832:

ifdef BITS32 then 
    constant 
    SA_SIZE = 12, 
    SUIdwFlags = 44,  
    SUIhStdInput = 56,  
    STARTUPINFO_SIZE = 68, 
    PROCESS_INFORMATION_SIZE = 16 
elsedef 
    constant 
    SA_SIZE = 24, 
    SUIdwFlags = 60,  
    SUIhStdInput = 80,  
    STARTUPINFO_SIZE = 104, 
    PROCESS_INFORMATION_SIZE = 24 
end ifdef 

in line 873:

ifdef BITS32 then 
        ProcInfo = peek4u({pPI,4}) 
        elsedef 
        ProcInfo = peek_pointer({pPI, 2}) & peek4u({pPI + 16, 2}) 
    end ifdef 

Maybe Ryan can help...

btw. i do not use EUINC,EUDIR or eu.cfg i do not even have the euphoria binaries in the PATH blink

Andreas

18. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

So now, instead of trying to change cntMain's properties, I've just added another onto cntMain, and am setting it's properites.

setting the property "margins" produces and error.

setting the spacing, you have to use an atom, ie

{"spacing", 20}, as  
{"spacing", "20"} produces and error 

this is inconsistent, the property should be a string

Furthermore, if I set the label property in the container, it does not appear.

In the editor, hitting return onto an empty line from the end of another line, where some following lines have been deleted sometimes indents the cursor - I don't know if this is default behaviour, but it is not desirable.

19. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

andi49 said...

Hi

ne1uno said...

Hm, this file: http://redy-project.org/files/RedyCode-0.9.2.zip

in euphoria/include/redylib_0_9/oswin/win32/win32dll.e

line 832:

ifdef BITS32 then 

in line 873:

ifdef BITS32 then 

Maybe Ryan can help...

btw. i do not use EUINC,EUDIR or eu.cfg i do not even have the euphoria binaries in the PATH blink

I don't know how TC search missed that. woops, good catch.

you only have to define BITS32 as Andreas said or add -D BITS32 on the commandline

object VOID  

--add these lines for eu40  

ifdef EU4_0 then 
    with define BITS32  
end ifdef  

this is just a temporary patch

20. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Woohoo! I'm finally done working on some long-overdue optimizations. Now i will be able to address the issues of the current conversation.

Graphics performance of the redy widget system is faster now, and the text editor canvas performance is MUCH faster! This is starting to feel closer to the performance of a typical text editor, except for a few non-graphics-related issues such as rebuilding wordwrap and syntax highlighting. It's probably a little slower than a C-written program, but fast enough to not be annoying. I will test it on some older computers in a few days to confirm.

A little background: the widgets draw to a buffer bitmap as needed, then when WM_PAINT is called, the win32 BitBlt function is used to copy the buffer to the window. I decided to do it that way because it was easier and theoretically faster than drawing widgets directly to the window every time the slightest change occurs. Until now, every time a widget drew to the buffer bitmap, the entire bitmap would be copied to the window! This works ok in most cases with a powerful video card, but it is horribly inefficient.

Now, when a widget redraws itself, only the widget's area is invalidated and BitBlt'ed to the window. That makes a noticeable difference when scrolling a listbox, for example. The Canvas widgetclass also has this optimization when drawing to a canvas image, making it faster to update a section of the canvas without having to BitBlt the entire canvas bitmap.

In addition to these optimizations, textdoc.e now redraws only the lines that have changed and invalidates only the area that is affected by the redrawn lines. Before, all visible lines were redrawn and the entire canvas bitmap was copied to the window (which requires processing lots of data to generate hundreds of drawing commands).

Selecting text has a much higher refresh rate now.

Scrolling is really smooth now, because instead of drawing all visible lines, it shifts the bitmap up or down using BitBlt and only draws the lines that are newly in view.

Euphoria has claimed for many years to be one of the fastest interpreted languages, but it doesn't really help if your code is inefficient. Optimization is important!

Faster, better release coming soon!

21. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi Ryan

had a quick project in mind, thought I'd give Redy a go.

When you start Redy, you don't get a default bare minimum app, ready to add widgets and procedures and functions, you get Redypad.

I realize now, i probably should have made a simple default template, rather than a complex one.

ChrisB said...

There should be more example programs, though in all fairness this is something I / we can all help with - win32 lib demos equivalency if you like.

You are right. The lack of examples and API tutorials probably make it difficult to learn how to get started with redy. I was hoping the source code would be a little help, but i'm sure it's not enough. I'll try to put a nice tutorial on the wiki later today.

ChrisB said...

There should be a run button on the button bar, to quickly run a program (its so much trouble pressing appliction / run, makes me want to give up! (joke)). Edit - I see there alredy (sic) is - it just doesn't have a pretty icon associated with it - it needs an icon. Honestly.

Actually, you can add a Run tool button using Customize Toolbars. blink

ChrisB said...

A nice feature to have would be to group user created includes in the source tree, which would make organizing larger programs more logical in some cases - ie have an 'interface' main program, with user created / optional includes in the tree for quick access / open in tabs as needed.

I figured people would just put a custom include folder in the main include folder. Maybe i'll add the ability to display multiple include paths.

ChrisB said...

You may consider adding default widget adds - ie, I want a button, so I'll select it from the 'widget list' and the code for a button is generated and placed in the editor, which I can then edit / modify etc. Or I want a listbox....etc.

Version 1.0 will have tools for inserting blocks of code (probalby some sort of customizable list of code snippits), as well as dialogs for editing such as app:define(), action:define() and visual widget layout.

ChrisB said...

That will happen soon.

ChrisB said...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the feedback!

22. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi Ryan

How do I modify the properties of a widget?

create_main_window() creates a main window with a container cntMain.

I thought I could use cmd_set_props(widget_get_id("cntMain"), { {"margin", "20"} }) to modify its properies, but this isn't locatable within the includes, or do I need to use a specific include?

The first of many questions.

Cheers

Chris Burch

Unfortunately, you can't set margins yet. I forgot that property was listed in Help.

23. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi

So now, instead of trying to change cntMain's properties, I've just added another onto cntMain, and am setting it's properites.

{"spacing", 20}, as  

In the editor, hitting return onto an empty line from the end of another line, where some following lines have been deleted sometimes indents the cursor - I don't know if this is default behaviour, but it is not desirable.

Sorry, container "spacing", "label", and "margin" are all unsupported right now. Also, numerical properties are not strings. For example, {"value", 100} or {"size", {640, 480}}. Another thing i should mention is the API currently has very little protection from invalid data. It is easy to crash or produce weird results if you stray from correct parameters. Eventually, there will be a better validation and debugging system.

Any questions about features that do work now? blink

24. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Here's a bare minimum app, simply creating a window with no actions, toolbars, or menus. You can add more widgets in cntMain. This might be useful for a quick utility program. If you want to use this as the default template, go to RedyCode\templates\default and delete all the subfolders and files, and replace the contents of TempMain.exw with this code. Then use the template by creating a new project. (I will improve templates in the next version).

without warning 
--with define debug 

include redylib_0_9/gui.e as gui 

procedure gui_event(object evwidget, object evtype, object evdata) 
    --pretty_print(1, {evwidget, evtype, evdata}, {2}) 
    switch evwidget do 
    case "winMain" then 

case "txtHello" then 

end switch 
end procedure 

procedure start() 
    gui:wcreate({ 
        {"name", "winMain"}, 
        {"class", "window"}, 
        {"title", "simple app"}, 
        {"handler", routine_id("gui_event")}, 
        --{"position", {100, 100}}, --manually set position (automatically centers window by default) 
        --{"size", {640, 480}}, --manually set size (automatically set relative to screen size) 
        {"remember", 0} --set to 1 to remember window position (creates a .cfg file)or set to 0 to disable 

}) 
        {"name", "cntMain"}, 
        {"parent", "winMain"}, 
        {"class", "container"}, 
        {"orientation", "vertical"}, 
        {"sizemode_x", "expand"}, 
        {"sizemode_y", "expand"} 
    }) 
        {"name", "txtHello"}, 
        {"parent", "cntMain"}, 
        {"class", "textbox"}, 
        {"mode", "text"}, 
        {"text", "Hello!\nThis is a simple app template."} 
    }) 
end procedure 

gui:start(routine_id("start"), routine_id("gui_event")) 

25. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ryanj said...
ChrisB said...

Hi

{"spacing", 20}, as  

Sorry, container "spacing", "label", and "margin" are all unsupported right now. Also, numerical properties are not strings. For example, {"value", 100} or {"size", {640, 480}}. Another thing i should mention is the API currently has very little protection from invalid data. It is easy to crash or produce weird results if you stray from correct parameters. Eventually, there will be a better validation and debugging system.

Any questions about features that do work now? blink

Ha - isn't this always the way!. No, it's my job as a user to find all the things that don't work, and grill you on them! And the the things that do work as you intended, and then find a way of using as you didn't intend, and then break something else in a completely different unrelated part of the program.

Spacing does work, at least between buttons, but IMHO, keeping the parameters as strings is a more consistent way of doing it.

I have also written a default basic start, which I'm just copying and pasting at the moment. Am also writing some additions to the manual, going through each of the widgets, and their (sometimes not present) properties and commands and was thinking of writing a quick tutorial myself on the use of spacers and panels, as if you haven't used them before, they can be a little confusing. It's still not 'plonk a widget', but with judicious use of these you can get them to where you want them to be - almost.

Can't remember seeing one (not in front of the computer right now)- is there a label widget then?

Cheers

RedyToChallenge Chris

26. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

I just created a 0.9.3 development branch, which has the graphics optimizations and a few other enhancements. Syntax highlighting has been improved. Multi-line comments and quotes work now. The "File Contents" list has been improved.

If you try it, i am curious what you think of the graphics performance. It should be much faster and smoother than 0.9.2!. (You will need to run bindredy.bat to build the exe.) I will continue to work on this branch and release it officially once a few other features are added.
Forked into: RedyCode 0.9.3 graphics

27. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

Here's what I did

Downloaded the 0.9.3 branch as a zip file.

Copied across the project folder to my current install (and just in case copied bindredy.bat too)

ran bindredy,bat.

ran RedyCode......nothing. Ran it in a cmd box.....nothing, no error, no flashes of windows, nothing.

Just in case, copied the rest of the folders accross too - still nothing.

RedyCode 0.9.2 still works fine.

Cheers

Chris

28. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi

Here's what I did

Downloaded the 0.9.3 branch as a zip file.

Copied across the project folder to my current install (and just in case copied bindredy.bat too)

ran bindredy,bat.

ran RedyCode......nothing. Ran it in a cmd box.....nothing, no error, no flashes of windows, nothing.

Just in case, copied the rest of the folders accross too - still nothing.

RedyCode 0.9.2 still works fine.

Cheers

Chris

That's strange. I may have seen that once, but i wasn't sure if i ran what i thought i ran. It might have had something to do with recently installing eu4.0.5, which i uninstalled, deleted a few env variables, and rebooted. I deleted the exe and tried again and it worked fine. I'm not really sure what happened. It was one of those moments when the computer was making me doubt my sanity.

You probably should try it without combining into the old folders. And delete any cfg files if you move redycode to a different location.

29. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

Ok, done that, same result, still not running (and no crash warning etc)

Cheers

Chris

30. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi

Ok, done that, same result, still not running (and no crash warning etc)

Cheers

Chris

can you look in the evernt viewer to see if there are any application or security errors?

on Xp run or make a short cut to %windir%\system32\mmc.exe c:\windows\system32\eventvwr.msc not sure how to get to it from other window versions.

the zip from github worked for me. I usually move redylib to my eu41/include then run or translate like any other program. but I was also able to run bindredy.bat and the exe it built ran ok.

31. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ryanj said...

a better installation/update method will be implemented

ryanj said...

And delete any cfg files if you move redycode to a different location.

Can I make a heartfelt plea that you avoid any such stupidity as InstallShield, inno setup, etc?

Instead, assuming you really want a windows installer, try something like makesfx or FreeExtractor.
For the build process, a simple batch file builds a zip then a .exe, which can optionally run a specified batch file to complete the installation.
End users can use eg 7_zip to extract the contents from the .exe just as easily as they could from a .zip file.
There be none of that "msi repair" or GUID nonsense that automatically "fixes"/restores any files that you modify.

Ideally, redycode should be portable - not just as in "runs on windows and linux" but as in "still works when you copy it to a thumb drive".
Paths in cfg files and the like should be relative, ie/eg ".\include" rather than "C:\Program Files\Redy\include" - obviously if you can open the cfg file you can open anything relative to it!

Pete

32. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

petelomax said...
ryanj said...

ryanj said...

Can I make a heartfelt plea that you avoid any such stupidity as InstallShield, inno setup, etc?

Instead, assuming you really want a windows installer, try something like makesfx or FreeExtractor.
For the build process, a simple batch file builds a zip then a .exe, which can optionally run a specified batch file to complete the installation.
End users can use eg 7_zip to extract the contents from the .exe just as easily as they could from a .zip file.
There be none of that "msi repair" or GUID nonsense that automatically "fixes"/restores any files that you modify. Ideally, redycode should be portable - not just as in "runs on windows and linux" but as in "still works when you copy it to a thumb drive".
Paths in cfg files and the like should be relative, ie/eg ".\include" rather than "C:\Program Files\Redy\include" - obviously if you can open the cfg file you can open anything relative to it!

Pete

Yes, RedyCode will remain portable. Perhaps instead of "installer" i should call it a package manager and updater.

The reason why i mentioned deleting the cfg file when you move redycode is because i discovered a bug that makes it not re-detect folders when the current location has changed, effectively breaking portability. It uses absolute paths because paths are not necessarily relative, and it makes it clear exactly where things are. I believe absolute paths should work fine one the bug is fixed. It actually uses relative paths when detecting, but converts to absolute paths.

33. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi Ryan

I'm not at the computer where I've been playing with it at the moment, but haveben mulling why the exe doesn't work - the above posts may have added a clue. Just for a test, can you send me the ex that you generated, so I can make sure that it's my computer's setup that is causing the crash. Eu 4.05 is mu default, so am just wondering if there is some contamination from the locally installed RedyCode.

email crylex at gmail dot com

Cheers

Chris

34. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

petelomax said...
ryanj said...

ryanj said...

Can i make a heartfelt plea that you do not avoid Installshield, Inno Setup, etc?

So the not Hardcore Developers, the not Admin users, the not i "I know everything and more " user also have a chance to try your Redy. And have a chance to install and remove 'Redy'.

Thank you Andreas

Edit:

If you work in a big company upx,sfx files are a nogo. Every Virusscanner will mark them.

35. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

andi49 said...

Can i make a heartfelt plea that you do not avoid Installshield, Inno Setup, etc?

You can make the plea, but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. blink

andi49 said...

So the not Hardcore Developers, the not Admin users, the not i "I know everything and more " user also have a chance to try your Redy.

I think a tool like FreeExtractor fits the bill here.

Or maybe http://nsis.sourceforge.net/

andi49 said...

And have a chance to install and remove 'Redy'.

Some time last month, I spent over two hours trying to get a corporate InstallShield sfx to install. There was a GUID conflict, so it thought it was already installed - but the other program was one that was vital to business needs and could not be uninstalled, even for a moment.

I managed in the end, but it took quite a bit of registry hacking to get this to work.

If ryanj goes the InstallShield route, I would not be surprised to find that many users give up simply because they can't install it - and can't figure out why it doesn't work.

And no, I'm not the only one who has ever had to deal with this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4940701/installshield-le-another-version-of-this-product-is-already-registered

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69674

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is actually a very common problem.

andi49 said...

If you work in a big company upx,sfx files are a nogo. Every Virusscanner will mark them.

I once dealt with a bank that simply would not allow .zip files in emails, period. If it looks like a zip file, it was blocked and that was the end of the story. YMMV.

That said, I think you are confusing the .sfx file format ( http://www.rarlab.com/vuln_sfx_html.htm , http://fileinfo.com/extension/sfx ) with the acronym for the general term. FreeExtractor does not create .SFX files, nor does it use the same format as WinRAR - IIUC it uses the zlib library for compression.

36. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

andi49 said...

So the not Hardcore Developers, the not Admin users, the not i "I know everything and more " user also have a chance to try your Redy.

What jim said.

I use the command line utility of FreeExtractor for Phix. If you read that page, you'll see the average end user would typically be unaware of any difference - until some of the problems mentioned occurred.

andi49 said...

And have a chance to install and remove 'Redy'.

Ideally, uninstall should be as simple as deleting the directory. Or maybe a hand-crafted script.
I concede that any registry changes may need extra care, but I've had cases where automating that (undo) was the sole cause of the problem in the first place.

andi49 said...

I've thrown plenty of these through dozens of virus scanners without any trouble (at least, that is, over and above any troubles I'd get from the files within, which would of course be the same for an msi-based installer anyway).

Pete

37. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi Ryan

I'm not at the computer where I've been playing with it at the moment, but haveben mulling why the exe doesn't work - the above posts may have added a clue. Just for a test, can you send me the ex that you generated, so I can make sure that it's my computer's setup that is causing the crash. Eu 4.05 is mu default, so am just wondering if there is some contamination from the locally installed RedyCode.

email crylex at gmail dot com

Cheers

Chris

I think i figured out what the problem is. When eu 4.0.5 is installed and you run bindredy.bat, it creates a non-functioning exe. The bat file needs -eudir ".\euphoria" added, like this:

color 1F 
rem Rebuilding RedyCode.exe from .\projects\RedyCode\source\RedyCode.exw... 

.\euphoria\bin\eubind.exe ".\projects\RedyCode\source\RedyCode.exw" -icon ".\redy_icon.ico" -i ".\euphoria\include" -eudir ".\euphoria" 

move ".\projects\RedyCode\source\RedyCode.exe" ".\RedyCode.exe" 

38. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

Yes, that did it.

Cheers

Chris

39. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi

Yes, that did it.

Cheers

Chris

Good to hear. I'm curious if it runs noticeably smoother for you than 0.9.2, especially when selecting text or scrolling.

40. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ryanj said...

I just created a 0.9.3 development branch, which has the graphics optimizations and a few other enhancements. Syntax highlighting has been improved. Multi-line comments and quotes work now. The "File Contents" list has been improved.

If you try it, i am curious what you think of the graphics performance. It should be much faster and smoother than 0.9.2!. (You will need to run bindredy.bat to build the exe.) I will continue to work on this branch and release it officially once a few other features are added.

I just merged the branch. Now on to 0.9.4: remember bookmarks in the project file, optimize file refresh, improve path detection, select from list of templates, and improve run/build.

41. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Good news: version 0.9.4 will run on Eu 4.0.5.

42. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Exactly what file should be downloaded?

[I tried RedyCode-master.zip]

Where should it be unzipped?

[I tried in c:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\].

Once that is done is anything else necessary or can we just navigate to a particular file in Windows Explorer and double-click?

[I tried navigating to C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\projects\RedyCode\source and double-clicking on RedyCode.exw. and not entirely unexpectedly it didn't find the include files.]

So I created an eu.cfg and stuck it in C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\projects\RedyCode\source with the following:

-I ..\..\..\euphoria\include\redylib_0_9

-I ..\..\..\euphoria\include

It found all the includes but crashed at line 1285 of RedyCode.exw.

When you stop laughing can you give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks

mike

43. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Mike777b said...

Exactly what file should be downloaded?

[I tried RedyCode-master.zip]

Where should it be unzipped?

[I tried in c:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\].

Once that is done is anything else necessary or can we just navigate to a particular file in Windows Explorer and double-click?

[I tried navigating to C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\projects\RedyCode\source and double-clicking on RedyCode.exw. and not entirely unexpectedly it didn't find the include files.]

So I created an eu.cfg and stuck it in C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\projects\RedyCode\source with the following:

-I ..\..\..\euphoria\include\redylib_0_9

-I ..\..\..\euphoria\include

It found all the includes but crashed at line 1285 of RedyCode.exw.

When you stop laughing can you give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks

mike

Yes, that is the correct download. All you should need to do after unzipping is run bindredy.bat to create RedyCode.exe, then run RedyCode.exe. It uses the euphoria bundled with it, so it shouldn't need any configuration, and it should ignore whatever euphoria is installed on your computer.

44. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Thanks for the reply.

It fails with the following error message:

C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\.\euphoria\include\redylib_0_9\gui\objects\textdoc.e:1069

<0237>:: 'Keep_newlines' only needs 1 argument

tokenize:keep_newlines(,token)

With a carrot on the next line pointing to the comma.

tokenize:keep_newlines (from line 264 t 266 in tokenize.e):

public procedure keep_newlines(integer val = 1, atom state = g_state) 
	eumem:ram_space[state][IGNORE_NEWLINES] = not val 
end procedure 

Looks to me like it takes 2 arguments.

mike

45. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Mike777b said...

Thanks for the reply.

C:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\.\euphoria\include\redylib_0_9\gui\objects\textdoc.e:1069

end procedure 

mike

Sorry, version 0.9.3 doesn't work with Eu 4.0.5 yet because it uses a eu4.1 version of tokenize.e and syncolor.e, so i would recommend going with the default settings so it uses the included euphoria version for now. I fixed this problem in the next version, which will be released in the next few days, along with several other significant improvements.

If you use don't modify anything after unzipping redycode, bindredy.bat should just work, and redycode.exe should be able to open projects and run exw files with no problem, unless there is a special-case bug that i don't know about yet.

46. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ryanj said...
Mike777b said...

Thanks for the reply.

end procedure 

mike

Sorry, version 0.9.3 doesn't work with Eu 4.0.5 yet because it uses a eu4.1 version of tokenize.e and syncolor.e, so i would recommend going with the default settings so it uses the included euphoria version for now. I fixed this problem in the next version, which will be released in the next few days, along with several other significant improvements.

If you use don't modify anything after unzipping redycode, bindredy.bat should just work, and redycode.exe should be able to open projects and run exw files with no problem, unless there is a special-case bug that i don't know about yet.

I'm not sure what you are saying I should do. I didn't modify anything after unzipping redycode, bindredy.bat gave me the error. Are you saying I should wait until the next release? If so, I'm perfectly willing to do so. If not, then let me know the alternative.

mike

47. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Mike777b said...

I'm not sure what you are saying I should do. I didn't modify anything after unzipping redycode, bindredy.bat gave me the error. Are you saying I should wait until the next release? If so, I'm perfectly willing to do so. If not, then let me know the alternative.

Oh, i see.

It looks like the same error caused when the bat file is somehow using eu 4.0.5 because of environmental variables or a eu.cfg file overriding the parameters in the bat file command, which should look like this:

.\euphoria\bin\eubind.exe ".\projects\RedyCode\source\RedyCode.exw" -icon ".\redy_icon.ico" -i ".\euphoria\include" -eudir ".\euphoria"

I added -eudir because an installation of eu4.0.5 defines the eudir environmental variable, which breaks my bat file. Apparently, there is another special case i haven't accounted for. Maybe i have to do more hacking with a eu.cfg file. (Euphoria Dev Team, why is euphoria configuration so complicated!?)

Sorry Mike777b, i'll try to find a solution for the next version.

48. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Not a problem.

Let me know if you want me to test something.

mike

49. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

I got it to bind by adding the following line to the top of bindredy.bat:

set eudir=.\euphoria

It happily built RedyCode.exe and moved it to c:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\RedyCode.exe.

When double clicked, it opened.

Evidently the:

-eudir ".\euphoria"

addition to the eubind.exe command isn't as effective as a separately and earlier defined set command.

Hope that helps a bit.

mike

50. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Mike777b said...

I got it to bind by adding the following line to the top of bindredy.bat:

set eudir=.\euphoria

It happily built RedyCode.exe and moved it to c:\eu\eu405\RedyLib\RedyCode-master\RedyCode.exe.

When double clicked, it opened.

Evidently the:

-eudir ".\euphoria"

addition to the eubind.exe command isn't as effective as a separately and earlier defined set command.

Hope that helps a bit.

mike

Oh, good idea! It didn't occur to me to set env variables in the bat file itself. *facepalm* Thanks! I will add that to the bat file.
Forked into: RedyCode 0.9.3

51. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

Hi

Sorry, went biking in Spain ansd Portugal - back now.

Chris

52. Re: RedyCode 0.9.2 released

ChrisB said...

Hi

Sorry, went biking in Spain ansd Portugal - back now.

Chris

Sounds amazing.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu