1. website// Home Page Promo Text

Here is a proposal for updating the intro text on the home page.

• I'd like to bundle Euphoria, OpenEuphoria, Phix, (where is Orac?) together to emphasize that there is a lot going on and that OE is not just an isolated language

edited
now refer to OpenEuphoria , and possibly Phix
RDS Euphoria and Orac now excluded

still need input from Pete to proceed

• What alternatives are there to Friendly..Flexible..Fast ?
  • What is the best level of optimism and objectivity in describing OE?
  • Can you come up with something completely different?

_tom

Friendly...Flexible...Fast
describes OpenEuphoria and our ally Phix. There are thousands of other programming languages, and you may have a dozen favorites, but only Euphoria will lift your spirits.

Euphoria is Friendly.
If you value simple syntax, prefer words to abstract symbols, write freeform code layouts, dislike learning more than a few rules, and insist on predictability then you will enjoy Euphoria's friendliness. Euphoria only needs three data-types, atom, sequence, and object, a simplification which makes the language small and generic. In a friendly language many routines work equally well on numbers as they do on strings--no extras to learn. A friendly language is easier to learn, easier to read, and more fun to program in.

WEE is the "Windows Euphoria Editor." WEE is a small IDE that is multi-platform and written in Euphoria. You get an editor that colorizes your code and provides help on the Euphoria language. WEE makes writing, interpreting, and compiling Euphoria programs simple.

Euphoria is Flexible.
Use the Interpreter to quickly develop programs; the Euphoria Interpreter makes write and execute cycle quick and practical for incremental code development. Use the Compiler to distribute applications; the Euphoria Compiler launches a seamless translator and C compiler sequence that easily produces compiled applications for distribution. Euphoria gives you the flexibility to choose between interpreting and compiling.

Euphoria is Fast.
Most common languages just can't keep up with Euphoria's performance. Fast saves time when developing progams, and you wait less for them to execute. Euphoria provides garbage collection and extensive runtime checks and still delivers speed. Euphoria programs become even faster after compiling. We provide benchmark programs for you to test on your own computer; you will be surprised by Euphoria.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: website// Home Page Promo Text

_tom said...
  • I'd like to bundle Euphoria, OpenEuphoria, Phix,

together to emphasize that there is a lot going on and that OE is not just an isolated language

What is Euphoria in that list refering to?

If it's unqualified, then the term usually refers to OpenEuphoria. It may refer to RDS Euphoria (the versions released before RDS Euphoria was released as open source). However, those older versions are moribound - RDS isn't developing them anymore and AFAICT no one else is either.

Likewise with PeteE's peu. (One of the earliest clones of RDS Euphoria.)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: website// Home Page Promo Text

_tom said...

Here is a proposal for updating the intro text on the home page.

• I'd like to bundle Euphoria, OpenEuphoria, Phix, (where is Orac?)..

Orac is still in stalled development (and might never leave that state). Unlike Phix, no attempt was made to keep Orac highly compatible with Euphoria. So it is probably not likely to be that useful (for anyone else), except pedagogically.

Spock

4. Re: website// Home Page Promo Text

_tom said...

I'd like to bundle OpenEuphoria, and possibly Phix, together
still need input from Pete to proceed

I suspect that's a bad idea.
All the standard include files are incompatible for one thing, and there is no easy way to write documentation that adequately covers both.
Keep them separate, and install them in different directories. Anything else will just lead to confusion and mishap.
Obviously I have no problem with a link to Phix being put next to an OpenEuphoria link.

_tom said...

What alternatives are there to Friendly..Flexible..Fast ?

I would focus more on concrete examples, impressive screenshots, cool things that have been done with it...
Stress the positives, not the negatives of other languages, actually probably best to avoid any kind of language comparison.

Pete

5. Re: website// Home Page Promo Text

Spock said...

Unlike Phix, no attempt was made to keep Orac highly compatible with Euphoria.

That's now starting to get eroded. For instance the new pGUI makes heavy use of passing strings directly to c_func.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu